I Built a Lazy Chair Workstation

Input Nirvana

10 Jul 2011, 18:02

Good move, due to cost and availability, no reason to take a chance with the primary unit.

Used Datahands on ebay (U.S.) seem to have escalated in price the last 2 years. I can't be certain of their usage/condition, but some are virtually new, others are missing parts or look like they've been used to wipe someones ass.

Eventually when I'm done with a couple other projects, I'll pursue this one...maybe end of this year or next year.

Dori79

10 Aug 2011, 00:06

webwit wrote:I've been thinking for a while how to proceed my process of workstation minimization.
My current setup is still this:

The Datahand is made wireless with wireless usb and a big battery underneath the chair, so I can freely move about in the chair. The computer is not here, the cabling runs underneath the desk to the right, and up the wall to a small server room above this room. I no longer use the Datahand foot pedals.

I think I'll get rid of the desk. Hook up on or two monitors on retractable/adjustable arms on the wall. Maybe a little side desk, to put a beverage on and stuff like that. Get a better chair. I can lean back in it but its not really good quality. Get one with adjustable arm rests. Build in the internals of the Datahand in the arm rests.
I love your setup! I think it would be great to be able to get rid of having a desk altogether. I don't use a datahand myself but I would be so happy just to find a really good ergonomic mouse that doesn't kill my hand. I've looked at 3M mice and the DXT Ergonomic Precision Mouse but when I read the product reviews about them they really seem lacking. I have my heart set on a nice ergonomic chair, which should make life more comfortable, but it's easier to find a good chair than a mouse that's designed well.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Aug 2011, 00:28

Contour offers a free RollerMouse trial, you could try that one if you're in the right country. It's probably the kind of thing that will work for some people and won't work for others, but if you're in pain it might be worth a shot.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Oct 2011, 02:24

Interesting chair.

itlnstln

31 Oct 2011, 12:59

Nice. 1:48 is how I'd be rolling.

cookie

10 Apr 2013, 14:52

Pictures wont load... Man I hate it when this happens :(

cookie

11 Apr 2013, 12:59

Still nothing, woul'd you be so kind and repost the pictures plz?
Would be a shame if those nice stuff got lost.

Icarium

13 Dec 2013, 10:26

Is lowpoly still alive and able to restore those pictures?

cookie

13 Dec 2013, 12:30

I am still waiting but he probably widthdraw from DT :(
We definately need some other way to save data then external file hoster... great stuff is about to get lost!

lowpoly

30 Jan 2014, 14:00

Pics are back.

cookie

04 Feb 2014, 18:23

Thanks!

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 18:47

webwit wrote:Interesting chair.
Chair in concept looks like an epic WIN! Not sure about the implementation…would need to see/sit. From the video I see some potential shortfalls, but no way to know unless planted ass and took it for a spin.

EDIT- Now that I look at it, it seems like it would have been a Kickstarter project! I'm joking of course, I have no idea of the origination.

lowpoly

04 Feb 2014, 19:07

http://kornak-meble.pl/en,katalog,mPOSITION.html

Edit: 4 legs/wheels may be illegal here. :?

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 19:18

Yes, appears to be a huge oversight.

But an easy change.

EDIT--- $1,600-1,900 USD…pricey….

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Feb 2014, 21:45

Personally I feel a good work chair would look more like a car seat than the flimsy design chairs which are predominant, perhaps the way expensive Logitech rubber dome keyboards are.

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 21:59

Agreed (or more like an astronauts launch couch, heh heh).

One of my concerns in the video was the shake, rattle-n-roll the chair and multiple attachments seemed to have. May not be a problem if it's part of the design to give and flex (like a planes wings), but a tremendous issue if the parts continue to get more loose and are clinging on for deal life before they snap off or cease to work easily/properly…

I'm 6'-0" and 195 (about 182cm and 88kg for the rest of the world) and don't want to feel I'm breaking something just by using it.

Again, if I haven't mentioned it earlier, I have an Aeron (with an HR-02 Vendor Gear headrest). The chair is ok, I like some features, not in love with it, I'm sure I can do better. I've been toying with the idea of getting the Posture-Fit lumbar support.

For those that are interested:
http://vendorgear.com/?page_id=206

collector of junk

04 Feb 2014, 22:10

that's what I use (admittedly for home use) a car seat bolted to heavy duty base which tilts back =very comfy for me

but I do like those chairs

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 22:11

Gotta see that thing!

collector of junk

04 Feb 2014, 22:27

its looking a bit shabby now its 5 years old (all of it was a skip build)

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 22:28

But, but, but…where's the safety belt and cup holder? Damn, there are NEVER enough cup holders!

collector of junk

04 Feb 2014, 22:35

lol next project will have a belt CUP HOLDERS and movable armrests
maybe a leather one from a old jaguar or rover or one from a big ass truck !!!!

Input Nirvana

04 Feb 2014, 22:37

collector of junk wrote:lol next project will have a belt CUP HOLDERS and movable armrests
maybe a leather one from a old jaguar or rover or one from a big ass truck !!!!
With hot girl sitting on right side!

Compgeke

04 Feb 2014, 22:49

Why not a shelf for dem hot keyboards?

scottc

04 Feb 2014, 23:54

collector of junk wrote:its looking a bit shabby now its 5 years old (all of it was a skip build)

<snip>
Is that a wall-mounted Model M/F 122/G80-2500?!?

Nice. :D

Input Nirvana

05 Feb 2014, 00:30

One other thing that was freaky about the video…the sound of cherry switches as he was typing on the laptop. And what about the Liberace style final keystroke like he was playing a baby grand piano at a Las Vegas show? LOL

Damn you Webwit, now I'm standing looking at my Aeron…if I add a bracket on the bottom and find a telescoping thingy-doo…..hmmmm

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Feb 2014, 01:32

abhibeckert

05 Feb 2014, 02:26

Forget using a car seat, how about at actual car?

But seriously, a car seat is a really good option for a computer seat. They're designed to be comfortable for hours on end while supporting a good posture, and they're a lot cheaper than an office chair where the only good ones are targeted at millionaire executives or startup companies.

Input Nirvana

05 Feb 2014, 04:27

That's funny. Pretty rough looking, but it makes an impression.

The few items on the MPosition chair that I notice:
-looks
-laptop arm
-pull out reclining leg support
-overall adjustability

Sorta clean and new with some sweeping lines, but looks are definitely at the bottom of the list.

The laptop arm makes sense…why be tethered to a desk if you're not doing "desk" things? I'm looking up to see if there are similar available to retrofit or if have to make a high quality item such as this.

The pull out reclining leg support has nothing to do with the overall chair, just an added feature. I notice it because I'm king of reclining with legs up. Seriously, KING. It's the only way I ever feel comfortable.

There are a few chairs that offer almost total adjustability, so I liked seeing that. I wish they all adjusted so much.

Findecanor

05 Feb 2014, 07:03

collector of junk wrote:its looking a bit shabby now its 5 years old (all of it was a skip build)
Nice! I used to have a Mercedes Benz seat for years just as a reclining chair, but I threw it out... Why didn't I think of putting it on a office chair base? :(

collector of junk

05 Feb 2014, 17:51

scottc wrote:

<snip>
Is that a wall-mounted Model M/F 122/G80-2500?!?

Nice. :D

well spotted model m terminal 139etc one of my first keyboards that got me hooked on this new addiction !!!!

Findecanor I ALWAYS look in skips and think "what can I make that into ?"should have used skiphunter as my profile
my shed and back room full of "future projects"!!!!

Return to “Workshop”