Universal Model M Controller

wlhlm
~

29 Jul 2015, 16:50

Thanks! I haven't taken mine apart yet and wasn't sure. I'm still waiting for the tool to arrive.

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2015, 16:56

That tool drove me crazy when Phosphor sent me my controller. I was on holiday in California at my brother's, and had everything I needed — SSK from Cindy — but didn't think to bring my nutdriver with me because how hard could it be to source? Harder than I imagined.

These are the ones I use over here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-28215-6p ... B005UZIW4Q

5.5 mm is the one you need for Model Ms. (The other sizes come in handy for beamsprings and such.) I couldn't find anything over there that would fit in the long, slim channels in the case. But wound up succeeding with a bit of a hacky combination of tool pieces instead. So frustrating!

wlhlm
~

29 Jul 2015, 17:04

I ordered the tool madhias linked in his excellent screw-mod guide.

http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/8281 ... m-DIN-3125

A set might have been cheaper (I didn't think of beamsprings at the time)... :roll:

grasshopper

14 Oct 2015, 22:29

Hi phosphorglow,

I'm very interested in buying a couple of these controllers. I've just skimmed through all 13 pages of this thread but I'm still unclear about a few things:

On your website you say that the controller can be supplied with an optional reset button that puts the controller into "DFU Bootloader mode". Can you clarify what DFU bootloader mode is? Also, is there any downside to having the reset button included?

Can the controller's firmware be updated without the need for any additional hardware?

I notice that you offer the circuit boards for sale on their own. I'm interested in that option but I don't want the hassle of ordering all the other components separately. So would you also consider offering a kit that includes all the parts needed to make a working controller, and it would then be the purchaser's reponsibility to solder all the parts together.

Are you ever likely to offer similar controller boards for newer Model Ms (and the ones currently manufactured by Unicomp) where the circuit board is mounted behind the caps and num lock lights?

Thanks

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

14 Oct 2015, 22:35

phosphorglow wrote: For bluetooth, you'll need the Adafruit EZKey HID, a battery (since you have a full size board you can use a bigger battery), and the LiPo charger. And some wire. And a switch.
The Adafruit EZKey HID is this: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1535 .

Some more details on this mod would be nice, for those of us with the skills to do it to an existing board, but maybe not the time to research it from scratch. :oops: :shock:

15 Oct 2015, 01:13

There is a guide on how to use that module on adafruits site : https://learn.adafruit.com/category/microcontrollers

flabbergast

15 Oct 2015, 10:15

grasshopper wrote: On your website you say that the controller can be supplied with an optional reset button that puts the controller into "DFU Bootloader mode". Can you clarify what DFU bootloader mode is? Also, is there any downside to having the reset button included?

Can the controller's firmware be updated without the need for any additional hardware?
The DFU bootloader mode is precisely the way to update the firmware without needing any additional hardware - when put in DFU mode, the controller appears on the PC side not as a keyboard, but as a "DFU device", and then with the correct program on the PC side you can send a new firmware to the device.

EDIT: There's no downsides to having the button, except the obvious ones - (possibly) price and the space physically occupied by the button.

grasshopper

17 Oct 2015, 15:13

flabbergast wrote: The DFU bootloader mode is precisely the way to update the firmware without needing any additional hardware - when put in DFU mode, the controller appears on the PC side not as a keyboard, but as a "DFU device", and then with the correct program on the PC side you can send a new firmware to the device.

EDIT: There's no downsides to having the button, except the obvious ones - (possibly) price and the space physically occupied by the button.
Nice. That's the answer I was hoping for. Having a reset switch included seems a no-brainer to me, although it's probably not essential for it to be accessible from outside the case.

grasshopper

17 Oct 2015, 15:17

XMIT wrote: I have (no exaggeration) about 50 Terminal M boards that would be compatible with this wonderful controller. I'll see you one cheap if you're planning to put this board in it. :-D
Hi XMIT, I realise this is off-topic and probably too late, but do you still have any terminal boards for sale?

grasshopper

20 Oct 2015, 00:07

Does anyone know whether phosphorglow is still around? I sent him a message through his website last week and he still hasn't got back to me. Also, I notice that he hasn't logged on to this site since 25 July.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 00:09

He could be on sabbatical. Read the first line in the first post on this thread to see what I mean. Might be easier to find him at GH or wherever else he hangs out.

I'm also waiting on a response from him about another one of his controllers.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Oct 2015, 00:16

grasshopper wrote:
XMIT wrote: I have (no exaggeration) about 50 Terminal M boards that would be compatible with this wonderful controller. I'll see you one cheap if you're planning to put this board in it. :-D
Hi XMIT, I realise this is off-topic and probably too late, but do you still have any terminal boards for sale?
Terminal Ms? Sure, like 30 of them. Send me a PM with what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do. It may take me a little while, please be patient.

Muirium
µ

20 Oct 2015, 00:41

Not to rain on your sales — I know you've got good stuff, XMIT — but I see Grasshopper's from Britain. So he'd better beware just how criminally insane our import taxes are here. Or he'll soon find out the hard way. I've been stung over £100 tax and "handling fees" before on a box of vintage keyboards, even with an under declared value on the parcel.

The bigger things are, the trickier it is getting them over here without a friendly ransom note showing up in the mail instead. Certainly doable if you want to pay and get it over with, but only really remotely sensible on high value stuff. Like the box of Kishsavers that taught me my lesson.

grasshopper

20 Oct 2015, 00:48

I've been stung a few times myself so I do know the score.

It's the excessive and completely arbitrary 'handling charges' that wind me up more than the actual tax. It's basically a racket. I once complained to the Postal Regulator about it but (predictably) got nowhere.

I've noticed that with some Ebay items you can now prepay the import duty when you pay for the item. I'm not sure if that's cheaper, but at least you don't get a nasty surprise later on.

andrewjoy

20 Oct 2015, 09:34

As i understand it the "fee" is for them dealing with customs for you. Customs should not apply to individuals anyway as its legalised extortion. Its not as if you are going to find a beamspring in the UK now is it.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Oct 2015, 14:13

FWIW, over PM I offered grasshopper some options to reduce shipping and Customs costs. In particular, I offered to ship only the top case of a Model M, which would also have the metal badge and the molding for it. Packages under 4 pounds can ship as USPS First Class International packages. The mailing rate is less, and, since it is not considered a "priority mailing service", I don't think Parcelforce delivers it in the UK, and, you shouldn't be hit with Customs fees.

Muirium
µ

21 Oct 2015, 15:37

Actually, it doesn't matter. So long as you mark it as worth less than £15 value, you have a chance to slip through. Otherwise, off to the customs circus it goes! No matter how small or light.

I've had a bubblemailer with a few caps in it — mere ounces — show up with £8 of Royal Mail / Parcelforce* fees. They handle everything for customs. It's a nice tasty racket they've got going there.

*Parcelforce is just a brand name belonging to the Royal Mail. Same entity. Same fees. No need for rhyme or reason about actual shipping weight!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Oct 2015, 15:44

Muirium, my reading of the postal code was that, for "express mail" services, the cost of shipping counted toward the value of the parcel. In effect, this means that any package I ship that is over four pounds is guaranteed to hit that £15 cutoff even if I declare it with a value of $0.

Under 4 lbs, I can use First Class mail which is not an "express" service and doesn't hit that threshold.
Last edited by XMIT on 21 Oct 2015, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

21 Oct 2015, 16:20

Yes, you're right. There is a difference when it comes to EMS. Might as well give the lightweight option a try.

grasshopper

22 Oct 2015, 21:48

XMIT wrote: Muirium, my reading of the postal code was that, for "express mail" services, the cost of shipping counted toward the value of the parcel. In effect, this means that any package I ship that is over four pounds is guaranteed to hit that £15 cutoff even if I declare it with a value of $0.

Under 4 lbs, I can use First Class mail which is not an "express" service and doesn't hit that threshold.
I don't think it's quite that bad.

From what I understand, the £15 threshold is based simply on the value of the goods (i.e. shipping is not taken into account). However, if you go over that threshold, then you have to pay tax on the value of the goods plus the cost of shipping (plus a fixed "handling charge").

More importantly, if the package is marked a a gift then the threshold is increased to £36. Of course they might not believe that the item is a gift, and/or that the stated value is accurate, in which case they'll just guess a value and charge tax accordingly. However, I think it's plausible to argue that an old second-hand keyboard is worth considerably less that £36.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2015, 22:40

Feel free to test your hypothesis.

While bearing in mind that when they strike, and you have to visit their office, they demand cash, not cards. Been there, done that!

Scottex

22 Oct 2015, 23:45

XMIT wrote:
grasshopper wrote:
Terminal Ms? Sure, like 30 of them. Send me a PM with what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do. It may take me a little while, please be patient.
jeezz :shock:

grasshopper

16 Nov 2015, 23:14

Still no sign of phosphorglow ...

I'm beginning to think he may have gone for good.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Nov 2015, 04:01

grasshopper wrote: Still no sign of phosphorglow ...

I'm beginning to think he may have gone for good.
Last time we chatted, he said that he was going to spend less time on keyboards and focus on some other activities and other parts of life. That's the way it goes sometimes, we have to take a step back. I sent him an email a week or so ago about some general items, and I haven't heard back. I'm just assuming that he is focusing on other things right now.

We live close to each other, but if he does not want to be bothered, I won't bother him.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2015, 20:21

That's a bugger. He's been gone since summer, so I wouldn't call a Soarer quite yet. There's still the matter of a certain Bluetooth SSK controller to resolve first!

grasshopper

17 Nov 2015, 23:11

I'm beginning to wonder whether something bad has happened to him in real life.

I mean, I can fully understand someone wanting to take a break from this hobby. But surely he'd leave a message on his website to let potential customers know what he was no longer open for business.

andrewjoy

18 Nov 2015, 10:56

I emailed him a week or so ago to see if he had a matrix map for the 102 terminal M and he emailed back and send it to me.

So he is still up and running.

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2015, 11:57

Great to hear!

phosphorglow

17 Mar 2016, 04:53

Ayeeee. Like Billy Pilgrim, the phosphorglow becomes un-stuck in time.

My apologies for my lack of presence. Quick update: er... lots of stuffs. I'll update this update soonish.

phosphorglow

21 Mar 2016, 23:17

First, meow!

ImageCRW_6479 by phosphorglow, on Flickr

Combine these two together, redesign the whole thing, adjust the size and shape a little, and you'll get the idea of what Version 2.0 is shaping up to be.
ImageCRW_6602 by phosphorglow, on Flickr

Lots of small differences that make me happy when it comes to me being picky. A few major noteworthy things though:

– More Bluetooth friendly. At the moment just in combination with Adafruit’s EZKey HID board that always seems to sell out. I've also added a space for the RN42 module that hasu uses in his HHKB controller. I have to keep staring at the datasheets and code, but I think for the most part I can figure it out. The main goal of Colossus was and continues to be a controller to replace the stock PS/2 and make the Model M natively USB, with no permanent modifications at all. Bluetooth just happens to be a (really neat) bonus. Plus, the battery life is pretty darn decent – I get between 50 and 60 hours of continuous use! And that's without any power saving code enabled.
– The option between USB-B (still my preference as it suits the Model M), Micro and Mini ports… as long as my measurements are correct and I designed it properly. Well, Micro is a certainty, Mini I have not tested. But probably.
– Thicker PCB. V1.0 was a little thin for my taste but was still durable (I’ve done some aggressive stress testing… they still operate after being bent nearly in half…)
- Fits more comfortably in all three versions of the 122 M.
- TrackPoint in M13's works now that I have a better idea of how to set up the PS/2 code.
- Different setup for the battery charger chip with load-sharing provisions.
- Other things that I can't remember off the top of my head to make it live up to the description of being "Universal".

Oh, and I've done a few various things differently in the stock firmware setup, including turning off bootmagic. Which means I had to get creative with the DFU jump key combo. Now it's: hold Caps Lock, Right Shift, and Pause. That shouldn't ever happen accidentally, and no bootmagic configs can accidentally get set. Neat.

Return to “Workshop”