Best space-saving/compact keyboard 2013

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

09 Dec 2013, 21:06

The nominees in the category Best space-saving/compact keyboard or keyboard family in 2013 are:

Filco Minila Air • The Minila Air is the flagship of Filco's new compact Majestouch Minila keyboard family. It finally brings wireless bluetooth to mechanical keyboards of a main brand.

IBM industrial Space Saving Keyboard • The IBM Space Saving keyboard is an 84/85 key Model M keyboard. The iconic design of the standard version is only topped by the rare industrial version of the same board.

IBM "Kishsaver" • The IBM "Kishsaver" is a 62-key keyboard for the IBM 4704, named after it's rediscoverer, Kishy. It is the only true compact IBM Model F keyboard known, and got again in the spotlight by this huge find from tinnie.

Matias Mini Tactile Pro • The Matias Mini Tactile Pro is a "better keyboard for your Mac" and uses Matias Alps clicky keyswitches, making it an interesting alternative to compact MX keyboards.

PJE's OneHand - 20% keyboard • The OneHand chording keyboard is a custom keyboard project by PJE and a great example of how to build your own keyboard. It uses a custom PCB, Cherry MX switches and a Teensy controller.

And the Wingnut for Best space-saving/compact keyboard 2013, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

The IBM "Kishsaver" is a 62-key keyboad for the IBM 4704, named after it's rediscoverer, Kishy. It is the only true compact IBM Model F keyboard known, and got again in the spotlight by this huge find from tinnie.

Is it a HHKB Pro II? Is it a Poker? No, it's an IBM Model F with capacitive buckling springs.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2013, 21:11

All hail the greatest compact ever made! And I've one in the mail, thanks to Tinnie!

mr_a500

09 Dec 2013, 21:28

Yeah, and I missed getting one because I wasn't paying attention.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2013, 21:29

You have your APL triple shots, don't be too jealous!

mr_a500

09 Dec 2013, 21:32

Yessss..... yes of course. (casually caresses the silky triple-shot keys)

tinnie

10 Dec 2013, 15:45

Thanks guys! I am so glad that I can take part in this community. Thanks for everyone who voted me and our greatest founder - webwit! :evilgeek:

P.S. Yay, I'm the youngest wingnut owner!

cookie

10 Dec 2013, 15:49

No HHKB? Why? :(

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2013, 18:32

Didn't make it through the second round of voting:

http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awar ... t6936.html

I voted for it, of course, but this prize was the hardest fought of all.

cookie

10 Dec 2013, 20:22

Ohh man I missed the votes :/

NVM next year :)

Return to “Results”