Best keyboard switch 2013

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

09 Dec 2013, 21:12

The nominees in the category Best keyboard switch 2013 are:

Clicky Univac magnetic switches • A HaaTa find from 1971, the switches from the Univac keyboard predate both the buckling spring and beam spring mechanism, and are clicky. Very clicky. It uses magnets to achieve the tactility and obnoxiously loud clickiness.

IBM buckling spring • The IBM buckling spring is a type of spring-based switch where the spring buckles outwards instead of compressing, and powers the famous IBM Model F and Model M keyboards.

Matias Click switch • The Matias Click switch is a clone of the Alps CM switch with a tactile leaf held loosely to allow it to click, manufactured by Matias Corporation primarily for its own keyboards.

Matias Quiet switch • The Matias Quiet switch is a clone of the Alps CM switch with a damped slider, manufactured by Matias Corporation primarily for its own keyboards.

Topre switchTopre switches power the "Only one Made in Japan electrostatic capacitive non-contact type keyboard in the world".

And the Wingnut for Best keyboard switch 2013, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

The IBM buckling spring is a type of spring-based switch where the spring buckles outwards instead of compressing, and powers the famous IBM Model F and Model M keyboards.

Model F pivot assembly and barrel.

bhtooefr

09 Dec 2013, 21:16

How close was Matias click to winning?

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2013, 21:53

Check the full results above by clicking on "as voted for".

bhtooefr

09 Dec 2013, 21:58

Ah, that wasn't visible when I looked.

Anyway, that's another vote that I wonder if it got split. I wouldn't have voted for both click and quiet click, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people would have. Not that it would have changed the result.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2013, 22:00

This is both the first time buckling spring won this award, and that Cherry MX hasn't.

Return to “Results”