Best input device mod 2013

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

09 Dec 2013, 21:14

The nominees in the category Best input device mod 2013 are:

xwhatsit's beam spring USB controller • No one managed to crack this problem, until xwhatsit's amazing project. Moreover, he released all his research under an open source license.

Soarer's new controller firmware • The winner of last year's award makes another strong appearance with his easy to configure USB keyboard controller firmware for microcontrollers such as the Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ 2.0.

matt3o for various builds and tutorials • Matt3o crashed into the scene with all kinds of builds and tutorials, such as the Brownfox, a guide to how to build a custom keyboard and his laser cut prototyping project.

Komar for his work on the GH60 • The GH60 programmable keyboard started as an idea by jdcarpe at geekhack, resulting in this fantastic, open source implementation by Komar.

hasu's TMK firmware • Hasu helped a lot of people with his source code repository of keyboard & converter firmware. It can drive various keyboards and protocols and supports multi-layers and USB NKRO.

And the Wingnut for Best input device mod 2013, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

No one managed to crack this problem, until xwhatsit's amazing project. Moreover, he released all his research under an open source license.

Bring your beam spring keyboard back from the dead!

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2013, 22:38

Congrats! Much deserved, although I really liked matt3o's projects as well.

xwhatsit

10 Dec 2013, 01:01

Thank-you! A great honour!

I'm delighted to see many fantastic open-source projects on this list. Us keyboard weirdos are no longer just consumers and collectors :)

mr_a500

10 Dec 2013, 10:41

Congratulations, xwhatsit! This is definitely well deserved.

This post was written using my beam spring and your excellent controller. 8-)

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2013, 10:46

As much as Soarer's controller is my daily driver (and features in many schemes to come) your liberation of the beam springs got my vote, Xwhatsit. Those beasts needed freeing, and you've done it with aplomb.

Now I just gotta get another huge keyboard…

mr_a500

10 Dec 2013, 10:49

Muirium wrote:Those beasts needed freeing
I don't know why I read that as "Those breasts need freeing".

Breasts on the mind, I guess...

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2013, 11:08

Ah, those were the days.

Wait a minute, I wasn't alive in the sixties! Goddamn false memories from watching the era's movies. Jiggly, nonchalant, hippy ones at that.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

10 Dec 2013, 14:57

Congratulations! and Thank You Xwhatsit! Your work has given me hope that other old treasures will again be made workable. Also its given me the treasure hunting bug :lol:

Halvar

10 Dec 2013, 15:27

Congratulations from me too, and thanks again for not only designing the controller, but also making it available to us!

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2013, 03:09

I don't like hippies. Not because of what they were, but what they have become. It was all a lie.

Return to “Results”