Best keycaps 2013

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2013, 01:54

Please suggest nominees for the Best keycaps in 2013. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. It is not a requirement that the keycaps were released in 2013. If you think some vintage keycaps were the best, you can suggest them.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • APL tripleshot beamspring keycaps
  • CMYK-Modifiers from IvanIvanovich' GMK GB
  • "23 Commando" high-profile keyset
  • Round 4 sphericals
  • Retro DSA
  • Signature Plastics keycaps
  • Round 5 keycaps not in production yet
  • Topre's Hi-Pro
  • BSP Europe's dye sub PBT keycaps
  • "Imsto" thick PBT keycaps
  • Filco double-shot high-profile keyset
  • Iron Masks I and II in gold, silver and black
  • Fct keycap
  • Cherry dye subs PBT keycaps
  • Cherry clear orange polycarb on white replica set
  • GMK Dolch keycaps from Originative

Compgeke

22 Nov 2013, 02:10

Personally a fan of the APL Keycaps on the Beamspring board mr_a500 has. Not only are they awesome looking, they're triple shot; something that not many companies do when secondary text.

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... ml#p103766

rindorbrot

22 Nov 2013, 02:26

I'd propose the CMYK-Modifiers from IvanIvanovich's GMK GB. They look just super awesome!
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp34 ... g~original

aj-kun

22 Nov 2013, 02:59

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 03:04

rindorbrot wrote:I'd propose the CMYK-Modifiers from IvanIvanovich's GMK GB. They look just super awesome!
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp34 ... g~original
Photobucket disagrees, it seems!

Too soon to nominate Round 5 I guess? Naturally, I'm super biased to like Honeywell replicas!

7bit

22 Nov 2013, 09:22

Round 4 sphericals!!!!
:ugeek:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 10:09

Retro DSA of course! :P

7bit

22 Nov 2013, 10:44

DSA sucks!
:mad:

Can't even type on them ...
:roll:

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 10:47

Cap fight!

(7bit's always going to win on ammunition alone. Find cover!)

Halvar

22 Nov 2013, 10:47

Signature Plastics for great key caps and just being so forthcoming and flexible regarding the needs of the community.

CeeSA

22 Nov 2013, 10:57

hmm, I am the exact opposite on the subject SP. Let the community make the work, and delievers at best average quality (imo worse qly).
SP would do nothing without the hard workers of the community.

Sorry for having no legitimate suggestion by myself....

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 12:15

If SP's competitors were anywhere near as nimble and willing to work with the community, we would have a pretty amazing landscape of GBs right now. No one's perfect, but SP lets 7bit, Matt3o and others put together something special for all of us. Round 4 SPH is as good as any classic caps I've tried, and doesn't look out of place alongside titans like Microswitch Hall effect caps.

Ivan's many troubles reaching MOQ with GMK is a taste of what things would be like without SP. Slow, that's for sure.

pasph

22 Nov 2013, 12:18

Round 5

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Nov 2013, 22:40

Surprised no-one's mentioned Topre's Hi-Pro, though they're not to my tastes.

IIRC, didn't SP also make the new Filco doubleshots in addition to the group buys? A commercial product with doubleshots is pretty good going.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

22 Nov 2013, 23:33

Muirium wrote: Ivan's many troubles reaching MOQ with GMK is a taste of what things would be like without SP. Slow, that's for sure.
I am not sure about that, I think SP's flexibility and "cheap" prices is partly why GMK group buys is unsuccessful and painfully slow. People just adapt to what is available and always go for the easiest choice.

Yes, SP also made those high profile DS Filco key caps (another point to SP)

I'd like to nominate BSP Europe's dye sub PBT key caps. They have a very high quality and smooth feel to them and top notch print.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 23:55

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Surprised no-one's mentioned Topre's Hi-Pro, though they're not to my tastes.
Whoops! Consider them nominated now. I put a word in for the keyboard in the full size prize, but forgot the caps as a separate category. They are the stars.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2013, 00:01

Broadmonkey wrote:I think SP's flexibility and "cheap" prices is partly why GMK group buys is unsuccessful and painfully slow. People just adapt to what is available and always go for the easiest choice.
Looking at my Round 5 order, I wouldn't call SP cheap either. Flexibility is where they have the lead. There's nothing stopping their competitors from lowering MOQs and communicating with the community better, besides a sense of risk I suppose. Unicomp seem almost oblivious to our existence, but GMK surely isn't thanks to Ivan. Instead, what's failing is a willingness to compete.
Broadmonkey wrote:I'd like to nominate BSP Europe's dye sub PBT key caps. They have a very high quality and smooth feel to them and top notch print.
I must try them sometime. All my PBTs are IBM.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

23 Nov 2013, 00:04

Yes! Topre HiPro. My favourite modern keycaps.

TheSoulhunter

23 Nov 2013, 09:07

The "Imsto" thick PBT caps!

vardhana

23 Nov 2013, 12:17

FILCO double-shot high profile keyset!
http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/2cmold/

Bacause of FILCO makes this set, we can get SA double-shot J-shape return and SA 4.5x spacebar from Signature Plastics.

dustinhxc

24 Nov 2013, 07:07

Iron Masks I and II in Gold Silver and Black

Gas Mask Corp

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Nov 2013, 09:21

Even if I guess it is a real outsider, I'd like to nominate this Fct keycap:
Fct-1.jpg
Fct-1.jpg (83.76 KiB) Viewed 49837 times
Fct-2.jpg
Fct-2.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 49837 times
of an ITT Standard Elektrik Lorenz keyboard (most probably a Btx terminal keyboard) I was able to get some time ago:
Spoiler:
ITT Schaub Lorenz keyboard.jpg
ITT Schaub Lorenz keyboard.jpg (161.37 KiB) Viewed 49837 times

frankbartoli

24 Nov 2013, 11:04

retro dsa

RC-1140

24 Nov 2013, 12:41

Cherry Dye Subs. They are still my favourites.

Jmneuv

24 Nov 2013, 15:20

Cherry Replica Set (clear orange polycarb on white)
they might just make it within 2013
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50292.0;topicseen

Brilliant way to show off doubleshot caps. Also it's the pioneer set that will bring community sourced/paid cherry legends to SP groupbuys.

Dubsgalore

24 Nov 2013, 22:53

GMK Dolch from Originative

Brand new thick abs GMK Dolch, but with windowed lock caps! Love my set

Return to “Call for nominees”