Best keyboard switch 2013

Belfong

24 Nov 2013, 07:50

Um, I just realize - how can we miss out Topre??!!!

That has to be a winner!

JBert

24 Nov 2013, 15:57

It seems the classic buckling spring switch is also missing!

Tactile, aural and technologically refined, it's a great switch as long as you can live with its drawbacks.

ماء

24 Nov 2013, 16:59

JBert wrote:It seems the classic buckling spring switch is also missing!
Tactile, aural and technologically refined, it's a great switch as long as you can live with its drawbacks.
Suggestions:
[Call for nominees] Best keyboard clicky switch 2013

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Nov 2013, 17:12

That would work once but not yearly. It's not like the movies where there are a bunch of new releases each year. So each year it would be voting on the same thing, Cherry MX Blue vs IBM vs Alps vs Matias.

Belfong

25 Nov 2013, 05:42

That is true but every year the number of people using mechanical has increased. Their opinions matter even more as we now have a bigger sample. If you are voting for obscure switches that maybe just 2 people have use, that's not best-of for 2013 as it was not properly represented.

Muirium
µ

25 Nov 2013, 12:13

I nominate Cherry MX green. Both to further split the Cherry vote and because they are honestly my favourite MX. That's why I built my first custom board around them.

ماء how do you like the greys you bought from 7bit? I have a linear grey and a tactile grey, and they're too heavy even for me! Definitely intended as space bar switches.

bhtooefr

25 Nov 2013, 14:18

Matias Click.

Because Quiet Click shouldn't get all the glory. And because it feels amazing - great weighting, quite early tactility, but chunkier tactility than, say, Alps whites.

ماء

25 Nov 2013, 15:24

Muirium wrote: ماء how do you like the greys you bought from 7bit? I have a linear grey and a tactile grey, and they're too heavy even for me! Definitely intended as space bar switches.
switches,I yet plug on a keyboard,so for typing are both,I have not tried :?
but in my opinion, dark greys(blacks 80g) quite good than greys tactile but for while linears really really boring :(

Findecanor

25 Nov 2013, 17:07

BTW. If there existed a tactile, locking switch in the MX line-up, I would have nominated it.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

25 Nov 2013, 18:12

Muirium wrote:I nominate Cherry MX green. Both to further split the Cherry vote and because they are honestly my favourite MX. That's why I built my first custom board around them.
Good call. 2013 has really been the year where it has gained a lot of popularity and recognition. I don't imagine most people would have guessed a commercial gaming branded keyboard with only greens would have been available in 2012!

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Nov 2013, 21:50

Findecanor wrote:BTW. If there existed a tactile, locking switch in the MX line-up, I would have nominated it.
Tactile lock switches kinda suck. Alps SKCLJC feels kinda sharp and grindy, and the only Futaba "modern" lock I have (as opposed to the old linear lock) also feels similarly rubbish. I just checked my old SMK lock switches, and while it's not a linear switch, the subtle change in force doesn't really have any useful indication to the user.

I presume there must be some locking switches that are tactile and feel nice?

Findecanor

26 Nov 2013, 00:43

Hmm.. A friend of mine misplaced my C64, so I can't check if its lock switch (presumably Mitsumi) was any good, but I remember it as being tactile. It has been years, though.

Return to “Call for nominees”