The Deskthority Award 2013

[Vote for nominees] The Deskthority Award 2013

Poll ended at 04 Dec 2013, 01:06

dirge for his proxy service
3%
Komar for releasing his 60% keyboard as open-hardware
9%
IvanIvanovich formerly known as Lysol for his efforts and endurance in the GMK groupbuys
8%
7bit for organizing Round 4 + 5
18%
elton5354 for his Tai Hao Groupbuys
2%
tinnie formerly known as Tinlong for the SSKs
9%
Daniel Beardsmore for his continuous work on the wiki
14%
Signature Plastics for not having that high MOQ
5%
002 for the Realforce tours
6%
Douglas Engelbart, pioneer and inventor of the mouse (RIP)
10%
matt3o for his groupbuys and keyboard builds
14%
ijprest for his keyboard layout editor
3%

Total votes: 194

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2013, 01:06

Please vote for nominees for the Deskthority Award 2013.

This is the "super category". What was extra special in 2013?

You can use a maximum of 5 votes.

This is round 2. This round is used to trim down the suggested nominees from round 1 - the 5 entries with most votes will be promoted to official nominees and make it into the third and final round.

See the first round for reference and motivations.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2013, 01:18

Oh, a ballot where we can't see the results as they come in? Mysterious! And probably for the better, too. Less tactical, more honest.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2013, 01:20

All results are released at the end of the Awards.

Parak

28 Nov 2013, 03:32

I somehow missed the nominations thread for this, but where is the HaaTa? :/

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2013, 03:56

He's one of those collectors who puts keyboards in boxes. :evil:
Spoiler:
Still, he might win a hat-trick with Best relic/discovery. And well deserved. :mrgreen: Although this time he might have competition from Tinnie, who takes on a different approach to beat the unbeatable by distributing finds in large numbers among potential voters. Bet he did it all for the wingnut.

Parak

28 Nov 2013, 04:28

Not sure if I quite follow, considering that sheer massive amount of documentation performed on said boxed keyboards. I suppose if the reason is that simply nobody nominated HaaTa, then them's the rules, and the blame would only fall on myself and perhaps some other DT users that care about keyboard history. Exclusion for any other reason, in my opinion, would be quite a significant slight in HaaTa's direction however.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2013, 04:55

I was joking, I have a sheer massive amount of boxed keyboards myself. As the organizer I try to refrain from member nominations myself, so I can only guess why he wasn't mentioned in this particular category for all his archeology in 2013. Maybe there's some truth in my Tinnie banter. My collection, people can only gasp at it, and similarly they can only gasp at Haata's, while the suggested nominees have in common they touched or helped a lot of people with the goods. Or maybe people just forgot, partly because he's already the standard favorite for the Best relic/discovery award. Just guessing though.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2013, 11:18

Solid guess. This award doesn't have a tight definition like the Relics. I didn't think to nominate someone I already considered a strong runner in one of the others.

Besides, maybe if he sold on his best finds like Tinnie… that's disruptive!

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2013, 16:07

Currently ahead are, in alphabetical order:

7bit for organizing Round 4 + 5, Daniel Beardsmore for his continuous work on the wiki, Douglas Engelbart, pioneer and inventor of the mouse (RIP), Komar for releasing his 60% keyboard as open-hardware and matt3o for his groupbuys and keyboard builds.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2013, 16:16

with Douglas Engelbart in the list there's little competition here :) we are not even on the same league :D

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Nov 2013, 19:10

Wait, if Douglas Engelbart wins, does someone send the golden wingnut to his next of kin? That would be funny, even if a little odd. Or does one of us have to give up our life so that we can deliver it to him personally by way of grave goods?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2013, 19:15

I believe the rules say "if the winner is a DT member..."

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2013, 19:17

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:Wait, if Douglas Engelbart wins, does someone send the golden wingnut to his next of kin? That would be funny, even if a little odd. Or does one of us have to give up our life so that we can deliver it to him personally by way of grave goods?
That only works if you sneak into his pyramid.

There probably is a place to send posthumous awards to. He likely chaired a foundation, or has a position named after him in a college or the like. There may even be a display case in a corridor someplace, for that mysterious Wingnut…

Or, yes, what Matt says. Webwit adds it to his function row.

mr_a500

28 Nov 2013, 19:32

Damn it. I should have nominated the inventors of the trackball. They were Canadian. The trackball was invented more than 10 years before the mouse. (and is far superior)

I'm thinking of getting one of these:

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Nov 2013, 03:10

It may be claimed:

From: http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awar ... t6866.html
When a category winner is a deskthority member (except for the *Ping* Award), he or she will get a special Deskthority Award Clack Factory Wingnut trophkey! We commissioned the most famous of keycap artists clickclack to design and produce these trophy keycaps for the Awards. DTA winners will be the only people ever getting one of these keycaps. The winner of the main award, The Deskthority Award, will get a golden Wingnut. If a winner is not a deskthority member, this winner won't actively be tracked down and contacted so a Wingnut can be shipped - however, the Wingnut may be claimed until Juli 1st 2014 by contacting webwit at deskthority.

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Nov 2013, 23:07

We might get to meet Douglas Engelbart's ghost!

Return to “Vote for nominees”