Topre Realforce HiPro keyboard
18%
WASD V2
32%

Total votes: 90

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 01:09

Please vote for your winner of the award for the Best regular or full-size keyboard or keyboard family in 2013.

By voting in this category you can win keycap sets from Signature Plastics.

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The official nominees are:

Ducky Shine 3
The Ducky Shine 3 is Ducky's new backlit MX keyboard with USB N-Key rollover and repeat acceleration.

The Ducky Shine 3 in all its shiny glory.

IBM 3278 beam spring keyboard
The IBM 3278 keyboard recently escaped its status as vintage but unusable, by applying xhwatsit's beam spring usb controller, so it can shine as one of the highest quality keyboards with the highest quality switches in history.

Make your workspace look like a missile control center with the IBM 3278 beam spring keyboard.

IBM Model F Personal Computer keyboard
The IBM Model F Personal Computer keyboard, sometimes simply addressed as the PC/XT or Model F XT keyboard, is a capacitive buckling spring keyboard with near ISO layout, a short reach to the mouse, NKRO, and the most click for your buck!

The IBM PC keyboard in its natural habitat.

Topre Realforce HiPro keyboard
The Realforce HiPro ("High-Profile") is a full-size keyboard available in a couple of layouts, sporting high-quality Topre switches and spherical keycaps.

The Realforce 104UG HiPro with US ANSI layout.

WASD V2
The WASD V2 is a mechanical MX keyboard available in 104, 105, 87 and 88 key variants, has a high quality construction and various DIP switch settings.

A WASD V2 105-Key ISO version.

kint

04 Dec 2013, 09:53

best regular keyboard 2013. Somehow this disqualifies vintage ones imo, so it's Topre vs Ducky vs WASD, I prefer clean looks over bling, so WASD got my vote. :geek:

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 10:00

Wait! I voted for this already and it was the 122 key Model M!
:mad:

Kurk

04 Dec 2013, 12:11

I'm with kint regarding vintage keyboards in this poll. WASD has my vote, too --- mainly because it supports Dvorak and Colemak. And of course change the position of the stupid key.
Configurable Key Output
- Switch between QWERTY, Mac, Dvorak, and Colemak output modes
- Switch Caps Lock to Ctrl

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 13:53

The next time, we should make one category for products that came into the market in *this year and another category for keyboards that already exist.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 14:12

7bit wrote:The next time, we should make one category for products that came into the market in *this year and another category for keyboards that already exist.
agreed

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 14:29

There were only 7 suggestions for nominees in the first round, no reason to split this category up.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 14:46

kint wrote:best regular keyboard 2013. Somehow this disqualifies vintage ones imo, so it's Topre vs Ducky vs WASD, I prefer clean looks over bling, so WASD got my vote. :geek:
I'm with you one that one!

Halvar

04 Dec 2013, 15:46

The mixture is part of the charme, because comparison is much more feasible for a keyboard than for most other parts of computer hardware. Dare to compare!

Is the WASD V2 really a better keyboard than the Model F?

Is the beamspring monster really better than the HiPro?

Have keyboards gotten better or just cheaper in the last 20 years?

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 17:46

The point is that the best regular keyboard of 2013 should win, not the best regular keyboard of all times.

mr_a500

04 Dec 2013, 17:55

7bit wrote:The point is that the best regular keyboard of 2013 should win, not the best regular keyboard of all times.
Even though I much prefer vintage keyboards, the "Best regular keyboard" of the year should probably be a keyboard that is still being produced in that year.

Halvar

04 Dec 2013, 18:06

You mean the best regular keyboard that entered the market in 2013? Or that was in the market in 2013? Or that you could use with a computer in 2013?

I'm not sure if the beam spring keyboard deserves being called the best of these keyboards (I mean it weights many a kilogram and is 10 cm high and has quite a strange layout), but given that it was finally made usable with modern PCs in 2013 there's enough connection to this particular year for me.

If not, we should have taken it out in an earlier round.

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 18:26

You mean the best regular keyboard that entered the market in 2013.
Including community projects for sure!

The beamspring could compete against other older keyboards in the contest "Vintage keyboard of the year 2013".

It is like you have these cars for best middle class car of 2013:

Mercedes W212
BMW F10
Rover P6
Jaguar X351
NSU Ro80
:o

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 19:30

A best new keyboard award is definitely required. We would likely have more nominations that way, too.

Correct answers:

Best new full-size keyboard of 2013: Topre Realforce.

Best full-size keyboard on the list: IBM beam spring.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 19:49

Best keyboard 2013 means whatever what was the hottest in 2013. That could mean a new exciting keyboard, but if IBM Model M manages to win the award like last year, it means more people got into that than any new release, and I can only conclude the new releases weren't that exciting.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 20:40

fair enough

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 20:42

I voted for the beam spring even though I was quite pleased to see Topre release the HiPro. Why? Because it's the better keyboard. Now you're trying to talk me out of it, apparently. Interpreting the question…

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 21:39

Nobody wants to talk you out of it. I might vote for it too out of protest, because webwit manipulated the contest by removing the 122 key Model M from the list, right after I voted for it yesterday night!
:evil:

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 21:42

Sorry, I had to prepare the 60 nominees and the 122 key Model M almost made it if it weren't for some votes cast in the last hours. I caught my mistake after verifying.

EDIT: Also 5 nominees instead of 4 as planned in round 2. The 4th and 5th nominee had an equal amount of votes.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 22:13

Ballot stuffing! It was rigged!

(I wouldn't have voted for it anyway. The 122's a fine keyboard, and I quite like my own, but it's not quite the equal of the big guns on this ballot.)

Flox

04 Dec 2013, 22:55

I vote for the WASD-keyboard. It has a simple, yet modern look. You can custom design your own layouts which is pretty nice. So that's my opinion.

Ekaros

04 Dec 2013, 23:21

Group both space-saving and regular to one. Split in 3 categories. Commercial released in the year, custom builds and historical. But we can discuss it before next years elections ;D

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 23:25

Ekaros wrote:Group both space-saving and regular to one. Split in 3 categories. Commercial released in the year, custom builds and historical. But we can discuss it before next years elections ;D
+1

We can figure out how to keep the number of awards in check, too. One out, one in.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 23:43

Sounds like a good idea.

Currently weak categories are Best regular keyboard (most are into tenkeyless or less and new releases aren't very exciting, so it's the usual suspects each year), Best ergonomic input device (I like this category, but not a lot of releases each year, same problem) and Best other input device (at some point we gotta face it that we're really deep into keyboards only).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 23:49

webwit wrote:(at some point we gotta face it that we're really deep into keyboards only).
that's really a shame, wondering if there's anything we could do about it...

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 23:50

^ Next month, matt3o presents his custom built pointing device.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 23:59

Pointing devices might be threatened by other input systems entirely, anyway. Like voice (the obvious choice that's never quite been up to snuff) and multi point gestures (like touch screens and Kinect) that are moving on apace.

Best new, best custom, and best historical make a great set of categories. It's tempting to use them on everything, like one axis of a matrix, but that would be overload. It's not like there's a new key switch every year. But there are plenty of things like group buys to choose from. We've some thinking to do to find the perfect set of awards which are both competitive and important.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Dec 2013, 00:12

I don't know maybe we could start reviewing pointing devices like we do for keyboards.

we have to start from somewhere, if there's no interest, well... okay... let's ditch that subforum away

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Dec 2013, 00:17

I think Muirius is right, pointing devices might be the same as desktop computers and monitors. The money ain't there (professional computing), but in consumer computing like tablets and mobiles, gesture and voice in other words.

A good method of checking if a new category setup works might be to consider if a previous deserved winner would still pull the same trick. For example, Ergodox won the award for best ergo device last year. If we'd remove the ergo category, there should be a category where a great ergo product still could win it.

@matt3o The mice & other input devices subforum has been there since the beginning, you can draw your own conclusions from the number of topics. Not sure if we should remove it though, it doesn't cost us money, and if there's something which catches our interest in that category, there's a place for it. There was a lot of interest into trackballs a while back, maybe something new in the future. I agree it is a shame, pointing devices are very important.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2013, 15:03

The vote closes on Monday 9 December at 20:00 UTC. Vote now!

The two nominees with currently the most votes are (in alphabetical order):
Spoiler:
IBM 3278 beam spring keyboard
WASD V2

Return to “Final vote”