Coming soon... Deskthority Awards 2013

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Nov 2013, 19:25

The Deskthority Awards 2013 will take place from 22 November to 9 December 2013. Like in 2012 and 2011, members can vote in a number of input device related categories in three rounds, and win prizes provided by our sponsors.

Deskthority members winning a category, such as "best wiki contributor" or "best input device mod", get our custom commissioned Clack Factory Wingnut Trophkey. This is a unique design by clickclack especially made for the Awards - DTA winners will be the only people ever getting these keycaps.

The winner of the main award, The Deskthority Award 2013, will receive a golden Wingnut.

This topic can be used for comments, ideas and suggestions before the event starts. If you have any ideas how to improve over the last edition, let us know!

tinnie

21 Nov 2013, 12:52

Can't wait. :x

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 10:11

no "best workshop project" ?!

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 10:14

All of them are open to workshop projects, as far as I'm concerned. In which case I should probably nominate Matt3o brand metal works for all the things you've been up to this year!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 10:17

Muirium wrote:All of them are open to workshop projects, as far as I'm concerned. In which case I should probably nominate Matt3o brand metal works for all the things you've been up to this year!
well, you can't put the HHFox together with a Realforce Hi-Pro, can you?

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 10:28

True, but I think the categories and prizes are finalised now, so the best we can lobby for is next year.

By which time you might have 55g modded an HHKB, I suspect!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 11:31

Muirium wrote:By which time you might have 55g modded an HHKB, I suspect!
I'm an open book...

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 11:56

One we all enjoy to read. Keep those pages turning!

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2013, 12:49

matt3o wrote:no "best workshop project" ?!
Best input device mod?

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 12:53

Matt's best stuff is entire builds, straight from the bare metal. The shiny steel 60% he helped me make doesn't feel like a mod to me! It's a kilogram of custom components and 65 MX greens wrapped around a Teensy!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2013, 12:55

Muirium wrote:Matt's best stuff is entire builds, straight from the bare metal. The shiny steel 60% he helped me make doesn't feel like a mod to me! It's a kilogram of custom components and 65 MX greens wrapped around a Teensy!
gotta agree with Muirium here, but maybe it's just a matter of award title naming

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2013, 13:30

Read it as Best input device mod/building/workshop/etc.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2013, 13:37

Suggestion for 2014: separate categories for best mod (for work like Xwhatsit's and Soarer's) and best build (for Matt's many customs this year, and Suka's creations, etc.) and perhaps one for best kits as well (like the GH60 and DuckMini).

Best ergo, fullsize and compact keyboard are all good categories, but we have the issue of custom creations going up against the HiPro and Kishsaver. Size / form factor may not be the most relevant axis of comparison.

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2013, 18:14

My general philosophy is that I rather have a small amount of heavyweight categories than a larger amount of lightweight categories. It keeps the DTA simple (as opposed to ending up with 25 categories) and the categories more interesting and dynamic. Also there's more of a danger with small categories that they are won each year by the same suspects. Each category added inflates an award on average. For example, we don't have separate 60%/tenkeyless/etc. categories, but just one space-saving/compact keyboard category. Perhaps we should rename and expand the current Best input device mod category to include other hardware/software projects.

dustinhxc

24 Nov 2013, 07:05

sweet im a newcomer to this forum but this looks fun!

kint

28 Nov 2013, 14:35

webwit wrote:My general philosophy is that I rather have a small amount of heavyweight categories than a larger amount of lightweight categories. ...
+1.
Best example are these categories...:
http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awar ... ml#p134872
http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awar ... ml#p134875
http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awar ... t6937.html

where seemingly some nominees weren't nominated.
I blame the amount of categories and confusing situation to keep track on 13threads that more or less all look the same. :?

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2013, 15:13

I just wrote up my proposed modifications to the categories, but Chrome had turned senile while enduring my rambling and forgot the lot. Bugger.

The idea is to keep the number of awards the same, but trim down on keyboard size categories and use the free spots for more build and project awards instead. I'd like a prize specifically for the best *new* keyboard or input device of the year too. That would shake things up, and there were several good possible entries for it in 2013.

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Nov 2013, 22:37

How about, Rube Goldberg Keyboard of the Year? I would nominate the Futaba complicated linear, but I think HaaTa's collimator keyboard would end up winning, as that thing is completely insane beyond all imagining.

kint

04 Dec 2013, 09:46

So many categories where I'ld like to see more than one nominee winning it. Got to make some tactile, tactical votes on categories overall then I guess. :geek:

edit:
I seem to be able to vote more than once in a category ???
At least the system lets me vote several times, with different possibilities checked and always confirms with "your vote was recorded" ? :?
System broken or did I miss something? :?:

JBert

04 Dec 2013, 11:12

Did you vote for the second round or the third round? The second round allows you to vote a limited number of nominees to shorten the list, the third (and final) round is the actual vote.

kint

04 Dec 2013, 11:30

I'm talking final aka third round.
Choose one nominee, submit, after redirect you can still choose one and submit and get a confirmation.
However it occured to me that this might just be the option to change your vote without registering a multiple amount of votes for each user. Dunno. :?

Halvar

04 Dec 2013, 11:49

kint wrote: However it occured to me that this might just be the option to change your vote without registering a multiple amount of votes for each user. Dunno. :?
Yes, this is how it works in the forum software DT uses.

kint

04 Dec 2013, 12:01

totally forgot about that. :|
Thanks for the info.. :)

Return to “DTA news”