The *Ping* Award 2014

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2014, 23:37

Use this category to name the worst keyboard or keyboard/input device related experience in 2014. Anything goes. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. This category is named after the infamous Summer of Ping. You cannot nominate yourself.
By voting in the third round of this category, you can win a Matias of your choice from The Keyboard Company!

In this round you can earn multiple entries in the draws for voter prizes: if you are the first to suggest a particular nominee and the suggestion gets at least 5 votes in round 2, you get an extra entry in the draw for the prize by the sponsor of the related category. If your suggestion is voted as an official nominee and makes it to round 3, you get another extra entry.

The first round ends on Thursday 27 November, 00:00hrs UTC.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • FaceU replica group buy... :roll:
  • Round 5. It's spectacular. It's amazing. It's nowhere. It's been a year!
  • Corsair for the double whammy of logo and RGB facepalms
  • GH60
  • Cherry for campaigning against quality mech keyboards in the workplace
  • k3kc fake clacks - no need to explain that
  • DSA Dolch Replica scam/GB
  • Ripster for registering an account on Linked-In to bash Geekhack, Deskthority and OCN
  • Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX - damn thing still not equipped with robust switches
  • Cherry for letting us wait for a decent solution for a RGB backlit keyboard
  • The bottom row of Corsairs keyboards
  • The crushing of the banking Kishsavers
  • DSA Dolch of Doom!
  • IndexPlusPlus for his "Single Keyboard Wiki" proposal
  • Cougar's remarkably ugly mechanical keyboards
  • Razer's marketing for BlackWidow 2014 with "Razer" switches "designed ground-up for gaming"
  • Styling of the Logitech G910
  • Signature Plastics quality control
  • Matias for still using shiny cases that might've been cool in 2002

scottc

21 Nov 2014, 23:39

FaceU replica group buy... :roll:

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2014, 23:41

Controversial: Round 5!

It's spectacular. It's amazing. It's nowhere. It's been a year!

Parak

21 Nov 2014, 23:46

Corsair, for the double whammy of logo and RGB facepalms.

Edit: related bonus: Cherry, for losing clientelle to the RGB exclusivity agreement, which forced people to look for alternative RGB clone switches.
Last edited by Parak on 21 Nov 2014, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Nov 2014, 23:46

I find Round 5 to be much smoother than Round 4 actually.

I'd say the ping should go to GH60.

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2014, 23:47

Good point!

Halvar

22 Nov 2014, 00:04

I'll nominate Cherry for throwing crap at their best keyboard model in their "replace" campaign and basically campaigning against quality mech keyboards in the workplace:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/che ... t8351.html

snoopy

22 Nov 2014, 00:07

k3kc fake clacks - no need to explain that

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 00:08

@Halvar. Well remembered. Genius level anti-marketing, while they're copying Matias with clear bodied MX switches in the face of a real challenge from Chinese clones.

Findecanor

22 Nov 2014, 00:11

webwit wrote: You cannot nominate yourself.
What? No! :cry:
matt3o wrote: I'd say the ping should go to GH60.
Motivate your nomination!

(Because I'm not in the know I would like to know why .... )
Halvar wrote: I'll nominate Cherry for throwing crap at their best keyboard model in their "replace" campaign and basically campaigning against quality mech keyboards in the workplace:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/che ... t8351.html
Indeed. But I would say the nomination should not go to all of Cherry but to "Cherry's marketing team".

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2014, 00:23

oh and don't forget DSA Dolch Replica scam/GB... (a bit of the story here http://keypuller.com/dsa-dolch-replica/ )

pasph

22 Nov 2014, 00:23

DrugER/JACKASS scam

Findecanor

22 Nov 2014, 00:52

I nominate former member Ripster for registering an account on Linked-In to bash Geekhack, Deskthority and OCN.

See thread on Geekhack: The REAL #1 Keyboard Expert on the Planet LOLOLOLOL.
Unfortunately, there is no way to link directly to the profile.

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Nov 2014, 01:05

Damn. Just too late to add that as a DTA category.

IanM

22 Nov 2014, 02:33

Nomination and F U Logitech for the MX Anywhere mouse!

Seems like a great mouse, looks nice, feels, nice, great shape, everything you would expect from a €50 mouse, except the left button switches are pathetically shortlived even with light use and gentle clicks. Two replacments here for the double-click issue and it reared its' ugly head again a few months outside of the warranty.

The MX Anywhere has been on the market for five years, it's had complete makeover and Logitch still haven't equipped the damn thing with robust switches. Bad reviews becuase of the double click are everywhere, numerous users reporting having gone through multiple replacements.

Not good enough Logitech, I want my money back.

Nuum

22 Nov 2014, 13:48

Maybe not just Corsair but also Cherry for letting us wait for a decent solution for a RGB backlit keyboard with their one-year exclusive contract. I dont' consider the K70 RGB as a decent solution, it has too many bugs and the layout of the bottom row is weird as always.
The bottom row of Corsairs keyboards deserves a Ping award nomination as well, but they didn't introduce that in 2014, they just continued to use it. I really like their keyboards with the free standing switches, but the bottom row is a no-go.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 13:51

My nomination for the DT Swift Kick in the Shorts Award is the (fortunately nameless) banker who just crushed a room full of Kishsavers despite Cindy being on the case:

http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/i-am ... ml#p194694

Also, may I suggest the name "DSA Dolch of Doom!" for Druger's filthy scam? Not to be confused with the actual DSA Dolch SP had already made and sold afterwards. I like those…

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Nov 2014, 16:51

The most entries so far in this category!

Grond

22 Nov 2014, 16:58

- IndexPlusPlus for his "Single Keyboard Wiki" proposal: http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f33/a ... ng%20award

- Cougar's remarkably ugly mechanical keyboards: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/new ... ng%20award

davkol

22 Nov 2014, 21:51

Razer and their marketing campaign for BlackWidow 2014 with "Razer" switches "designed ground-up for gaming".

bhtooefr

23 Nov 2014, 00:48

If the Cougar boards are nominated for their ugliness, I'll nominate the styling of the Logitech G910. Not the G910 itself, just its styling. Justification: Even though I know it won't win the award, it'd be hilarious if the G910 managed to get both the Ping award and the best standard keyboard award.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

24 Nov 2014, 07:25

me in my entirety :maverick:

Topre Enthusiast

24 Nov 2014, 07:42

You can't self-nominate, man. If you want the ping award, you should create a fake account and then try and nominate yourself, then someone would nominate you for the ping award for trying to self-nominate.

alinh

24 Nov 2014, 08:26

Muirium wrote: Controversial: Round 5!

It's spectacular. It's amazing. It's nowhere. It's been a year!
+1

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Nov 2014, 09:09

Signature Plastics quality control:

- DSA Retro: shift and return were of the wrong size
- Granite: off centered stems on some 1u
- Midnight: one of the wolf legends was too small
- Nuclear data: wrong colors, wrong legends

They are super cool and always correct their errors and provide replacement for free, but maybe a better QC to start with would be better.

CeeSA

24 Nov 2014, 10:52

You get never wrong if you nominate and vote SP for the Ping Award. A strange club to me....

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Nov 2014, 11:16

I also nominated them for best company (which I think they deserve to win)

Compgeke

24 Nov 2014, 19:54

I would like to nominate Matias for still using shiny cases that might've been cool in 2002 but this is 2014; shiny fingerprint magnets aren't that attractive.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Nov 2014, 00:48

I didn't see fingerprint problems with my Quiet Pro, but they're modelled after a long obsolete Mac keyboard and are now larger than they need to be for no reason I know. Matias keyboards are desperately overdue a restyling to match modern Macs, which means that by all expectations they should be waterjet-cut aluminium ;-)

Return to “Call for nominees”