The Deskthority Award 2014

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2014, 23:56

Use this topic to suggest nominees for the Deskthority Award 2014.

This is the main award and the "super category", anything goes. You can suggest a keyboard, company, keycap set, person, etc. It can be something or someone already nominated in another category as well. What was extra special since November 2013? You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself.

By voting in the third round of this category, you can win a Matias of your choice from The Keyboard Company!

In this round you can earn multiple entries in the draws for voter prizes: if you are the first to suggest a particular nominee and the suggestion gets at least 5 votes in round 2, you get an extra entry in the draw for the prize by the sponsor of the related category. If your suggestion is voted as an official nominee and makes it to round 3, you get another extra entry.

The first round ends on Thursday 27 November, 00:00hrs UTC.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • Cindy of Electronics Plus
  • Cooler Master|CM Storm for the NovaTouch TKL
  • xwhatsit for his controllers and software
  • matt3o for various projects and group buys
  • Daniel Beardsmore, wiki guru
  • Signature Plastics
  • HaaTa

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 00:05

Cindy's efforts in keyboard rescue — and having to learn real fast all this arcane knowledge of ours as she's new to this — makes her the star of 2014. Lots of us got our first beamsprings, Model Fs and all sorts of vintage hardware from her work. Appreciated!

IanM

22 Nov 2014, 03:26

CM Storm & Novatouch - nominating them again for the unique design, the willingness to make a serious keyboard for gamers, ISO availablity, and involving the community early. Good work CM Storm!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2014, 13:25

webwit, for overall duckness and for making all this possible.

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 13:32

Pretty sure he's above the fray! While not eligible for the awards process he runs, he's certainly due a thanks from all of us. Cheers Webwit!

andrewjoy

22 Nov 2014, 13:44

xwhatsit for his continued efforts in the capacitive controller just think of all the happy fingers because of his work 2 of the 4 keyboards i used on a day to day basis are because of that controller

mr_a500

22 Nov 2014, 13:48

Muirium wrote: Pretty sure he's above the fray! While not eligible for the awards process he runs, he's certainly due a thanks from all of us. Cheers Webwit!
I think webwit deserves a nice cold bottle of fucking hell.

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Nov 2014, 13:49

The place-name sign from town Fucking is or was the most stolen one here in Austria :)

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 13:52

Do you pronounce it Foo-king? I know some people here who say it like that…

Nuum

22 Nov 2014, 13:55

Yes, but with a short u/oo, shorter as for example in "school".

Muirium
µ

22 Nov 2014, 15:05

I agree with Andy: Xwhatsit's put in a huge amount of work with his controllers (including a GUI that's way ahead of commercial ones like Tipro and Access-IS) and even assembled dozens of them for us, himself! That's a standout effort, and all the beamsprings, Kishsavers and Model Fs he's brought to life around the forum make him a marvel.

mr_a500

22 Nov 2014, 15:14

I definitely agree that xwhatsit deserves another award this year. Imagine what it would be like if xwhatsit didn't exist. I'd be sitting here staring at my beam spring, muttering, "God damn it, I wish I could connect this thing!"

Instead, thanks to xwhatsit I'm typing on it. (solenoid hammering away as frightened birds fly off into the distance)

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Nov 2014, 02:09

Matt3o and Beardsmore, so I can keep the gold.
Signature Plastics. They have been and are very, very busy...

dorkvader

24 Nov 2014, 05:48

I nominate HaaTa.

He's kept up his excellent track record of finding amazing new keyboards, taking thorough disassembly photos, and contributing to the current state of the art.

I live vicariously through his flickr account.

Parak

24 Nov 2014, 06:28

dorkvader wrote: I nominate HaaTa.

He's kept up his excellent track record of finding amazing new keyboards, taking thorough disassembly photos, and contributing to the current state of the art.

I live vicariously through his flickr account.
I'm a bit biased, but I'll second this and add ongoing work with the state of 32 bit keyboard controllers, monthly west coast meetup organizations, and random knowledge dumps such as the keycon switch types presentation.

CM Pim
Cooler Master Rep

30 Nov 2014, 22:30

IanM wrote: CM Storm & Novatouch - nominating them again for the unique design, the willingness to make a serious keyboard for gamers, ISO availablity, and involving the community early. Good work CM Storm!
Thank you very much for your kind words- feedback. :D

Return to “Call for nominees”