IBM
9%
Signature Plastics
13%

Total votes: 100

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2014, 01:00

Please vote for your winner of the award for the Best keyboard company or brand in 2014.

By voting in this category you can win Hyper prototypes from 7bit!

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Monday 8 December, 20:00hrs UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes.

The official nominees are:

Cooler Master | CM Storm
Cooler Master has been releasing various interesting input devices under the CM Storm label. The NovaTouch TKL generated most interest - it is an important milestone for those who like the feel of Topre's switches, but were struggling with the lack of keycap customisation options.

The NovaTouch TKL utilizes exclusive Hybrid Capacitive switches which are both quiet and suitable for heavy-duty typing or gaming.

Electronics Plus
Electronics Plus bursted into the scene with a number of recycler vintage keyboard loots. Rare beam spring and capacitive buckling spring keyboards came our way!

A restored IBM 104 key Model F keyboard, originally obtained from Electronics Plus.

GONs KeyboardWorks
Have you been eyeballing those wonderful Korean custom-made mechanical keyboards? They were so hard to obtain. But now you can now easily buy your own custom made keyboards - sold, tuned and assembled by GON himself.

No longer do you have to learn to speak Korean and have to go through OTD and KBDMania boot camp. You can buy it at GON's!

IBM
IBM's vintage keyboards were put even more into the limelight as usual, as many beam spring and Model F keyboards were resurrected using newly available controllers.

IBM 3278 87-key beam spring keyboard.

Signature Plastics
Signature Plastics continued to impress, especially with Pimp My Keyboard, which allowed people to easily start new productions, with all the logistics taken out of their hands.

PBT Granite set with Cyrillic keycaps.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Dec 2014, 09:28

Wait, rubber domes are the "electrostatic layer"? It's the first I've heard of a steel-plated PCB, too.

Topre Enthusiast

03 Dec 2014, 09:34

Yeah I think they must've been winging it there...
At least for the PCB I think they're trying to say it is attached to a steel mounting plate, which for some reason is absent in the illustration.

jacobolus

03 Dec 2014, 09:55

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Wait, rubber domes are the "electrostatic layer"?
Sounds better than “spring condom”.

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Dec 2014, 23:24

It's a pity, as the illustration is way better than anything I can draw — it's the sort of picture the wiki needs.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Dec 2014, 22:23

The vote closes on Monday 8 December at 20:00 UTC. Vote now!

The three* nominees with currently the most votes are (in alphabetical order):
Spoiler:
Cooler Master | CM Storm
Electronics Plus
GON's Keyboardworks
* Not two as in the other votes because it's too close to call.

Return to “Final vote”