Ducky Shine 4
12%
KFC board
35%

Total votes: 86

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2014, 01:00

Please vote for your winner of the award for the Best regular keyboard in 2014.

By voting in this category you can win a Matias of your choice from The Keyboard Company!

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Monday 8 December, 20:00hrs UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes.

The official nominees are:

Corsair K70 RGB and K95 RGB
The Corsair Gaming K70 and K95 are mechanical gaming keyboards with Cherry MX switches, key-by-key customizable backlighting, and full key matrix anti-ghosting with full key rollover on USB.
Corsair Gaming K70 RGB and K95 RGB review.

Ducky Legend series
The Ducky Legend uses a 5mm thick aluminum case top design for an industrial look that is suitable on your desk for work or gaming. It is powered by an ARM architecture micro-controller, Cherry switches and a dual layer PCB and has various backlighting effects.
Video showing the Ducky Legend LED effects modes.

Ducky Premier series
The Ducky Premier is an MX keyboard for typing purists. The keycaps are made with durable PBT plastic. The legend is printed with a dye-sumlimation process that dyes the color of the plastic which will never wear out.

Premier DK9008P "Cream Cheese and Green" (also available as "Blue and Grey"). Snooty waterfowl approved.

Ducky Shine 4
The Ducky Shine 4 is an ugrade to the Shine series with a modern look. It incorporates MX switches, USB Repeat Acceleration, N-Key Rollover, 1000hz polling and dual color LED backlighting effects.

With Ducky's dual color LED mixing technology, you can create a wide variety of shades.

KFC board
Feast your eyes on KFC Japan's fried chicken keyboard. Surely your hunt for the holy grail of mechanical keyboards is over after acquiring this stylish keyboard.

Finger lickin' good! Eeew…

scottc

03 Dec 2014, 01:31

I wish I could vote for the KFC board more than once. It's actually the most interesting of the lot...

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2014, 01:34

Quiet you. I have a horrible feeling it's destined to win!

CeeSA

03 Dec 2014, 12:26

nothing here for me...

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2014, 15:26

Hot damn, I wish we'd known about this new Hi-Pro sooner. It'd be my pick for this category (again).

http://deskthority.net/product-news-f44 ... t9313.html

But of course my heart pines for a TKL.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2014, 17:04

Despite the rather uninspiring choice consisting mainly of Christmas tree keyboards, I'm still gonna vote duck instead of chicken, which is a disabled, faulty Avialae bird imho.

iAmAhab

03 Dec 2014, 19:27

Had to go with the DS4. Even though I'm not one for backlighting and I don't really care that much for the design, they tried something different than the standard looking cases.

Madhias
BS TORPE

03 Dec 2014, 20:02

Voted for the Chicken!

7bit

03 Dec 2014, 20:27

In 2015 I will bring out the HyperRegular, which will win this category because of it's 127 switches, plus no less than 7 mousebuttons and a trackpoint plus support for a scrollwheel!
:evilgeek:

bhtooefr

03 Dec 2014, 20:33

Voted for the Ducky Premier, because dye-sub PBT is better than lightshows, and the KFC board needs to not win.

mr_a500

03 Dec 2014, 20:37

Good plan. That was my thinking exactly.

scottc

03 Dec 2014, 21:27

Come on KFC, we need you to win!

Muirium
µ

03 Dec 2014, 21:37

Noooooo! Anyone but that!

andrewjoy

03 Dec 2014, 21:56

KFC KFC we want kfc

only vote for that as there is nothing better the only one i would even consider buying is the ducky premier

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Dec 2014, 23:23

No Legend TKL? :(

Halvar

04 Dec 2014, 00:24

Maybe we could alter the definition of "regular keyboard" to include TKL layouts next year, and let "compact" begin with less than TKL.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2014, 00:33

Something like that. Or maybe I should have listened to the Best new keyboard release suggestion.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Dec 2014, 00:42

Halvar wrote: Maybe we could alter the definition of "regular keyboard" to include TKL layouts next year, and let "compact" begin with less than TKL.
I meant, I didn't know about the Legend (or maybe just forgot) and discovered that they didn't make a TKL or 75%, which is just lame. (And funny, as I used to be adamant that I only wanted full-size!)

mtl

04 Dec 2014, 02:22

If the KFC board wins we can nominate Deskthority for next year's *Ping* award.

Compgeke

04 Dec 2014, 03:43

Sure, why not? We would love to win our own "We sucked this year" award.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

04 Dec 2014, 17:11

I have to choose between three Ducky boards the Corsair RGB, seriously?
If the Novatouch was here I could have at least voted for it just for the innovation, but here I'm going for KFC, sorry.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2014, 17:17

I think the simplest, most competitive, prize idea for next year would be a single Best New Keyboard category. Specifically for commercial projects.

That or lump the TKLs in here. That would have helped a lot this time!

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Dec 2014, 17:19

I think we got here because, with multiple votes in previous round, many also selected a Ducky, even if it wasn't their "first" choice. Given the system of voting, you can't differentiate between 1st choice or the 2nd, 3rd ... so sheer number of 3rd choices beats fewer separately voted, assumably better keyboards as 1st choice.

Anyway, 'best regular' kinda fits. :D

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2014, 17:24

The problem was a shortage of nominations. More nominations = livelier contest. (The new photos award being the craziest of the lot with so many nominations it was hell to pick just 5! My bad…) Combining the strugglers like this category would heat things up again, at the cost of a clear distinction for full size boards.

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Dec 2014, 17:27

I agree: either more nominations, or less max. nr. of votes available / person.
Better yet perhaps, instead of voting, making a personal 'top five' / person, then corroborating that.
(BTW I'm not criticizing - i would have had no idea about this if this situation didn't come up)

andrewjoy

04 Dec 2014, 17:30

Ducky Premier is nice as it ships with dye-sub pbt and looks a nice board good layout not too flashy( never used one)

but i could not resist voting for KFC

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2014, 18:12

@Andy: You're doing it wrong! Join Scott in the corner and reconsider your destructive behaviour!

For what it's worth, my vote's for the Ducky Premier. The thick cream cheese and green dyesubs are quality caps, and as elegant as you'll find as stock caps anywhere. A nice classy change in tack by madcap Ducky!

@Laser: Preferential voting is tough. I expect our PhpBB supports First Past the Post only. It's the simplest kind of voting everyone understands. "Most votes wins!" But Single Transferrable Vote is superior in practice, where we would all rank our preferences 1st, 2nd, etc. and true consensus wins the day. Mind, we're not exactly electing a president! I think what really matters is the quality of the candidates. A more competitive field…

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Dec 2014, 18:16

Indeed - it was only a theoretical idea. Mostly to explain (myself) the situation.
My vote in this area has the same colours :)

jacobolus

04 Dec 2014, 19:39

Y’all are just haters. The KFC board is a marvel of modern science.

mtl

04 Dec 2014, 19:44

We need someone to do a run of Colonel escape keys. :-P

Return to “Final vote”