Best self-build keyboard 2014

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

08 Dec 2014, 21:08

The nominees in the category Best self-build keyboard 2014 are:

Kurplop’s ergonomic keyboard • This ergonomic, self-build keyboard by kurplop offers non-staggered keys and an integrated trackball. An epitome of custom, personal keyboard building.

Lowpoly's last MiniGuru prototype • First conceived in 2008, and many times copied since then, this famous 61-key keyboard with trackpoint was in development again this year.

Matt3o's Bianca • A great example of community effort in design and building a custom keyboard, conceived and driven by matt3o, the Bianca is Teensy-driven and has a stabiliser-free layout and a layered case.

Ne0phyte's Tiny Hacking Keyboard • The THKB is a 40% keyboard. After losing earlier designs in a hard disk crash, ne0phyte picked up this great project again. Only amateurs need more than 39 keys.

Wcass' XTant keyboard • A long-running project, the XTANT is an amazing effort by wcass to bring the IBM PC XT into the 21st century. A new PCB and barrel frame allow for a modern layout.

And the Wingnut for Best self-build keyboard 2014, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

A long-running project, the XTANT is an amazing effort by wcass to bring the IBM PC XT into the 21st century. A new PCB and barrel frame allow for a modern layout.

A working XTant - ultra-fine capacitive buckling springs with a modern layout!

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 21:10

Superb! This one's a pioneer. There will be more custom Model Fs to follow in its footsteps!

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2014, 21:12

Next on the cards CUSTOM BEAM-SPRING!

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 21:13

Definitely doable… with the right parts. Get hoarding!

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2014, 21:20

oh and congrats xtant !

Custom beam-spring would be amazing

ANSI 122 key layout beam-spring but with inverted T

come to me baby !

lowpoly

08 Dec 2014, 21:24

Congrats!!!

Nuum

08 Dec 2014, 22:52

Custom Model Fs will hopefully be a thing soon. Congrats, Wcass!

CeeSA

08 Dec 2014, 23:00

A very good mod, but wrong category.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 23:03

We should probably make them a bit clearer, true. Wcass made enough effort with this one to be almost a full self build. (New plate, new PCB, new caps commissioned from Unicomp.) But it's just as much built within the XT footprint. A proper edge-case.

rindorbrot

09 Dec 2014, 00:23

Congrats wcass!

wcass

09 Dec 2014, 03:23

Wow, i was not expecting that.

I'd like to thank the members of Deskthority for their continued support over the years since this project started. I'd also like to thank xwhatsit, dfj, Parak, and HaaTa for designing capacitive controllers - without which this keyboard would not be possible. A big thanks to my wife for putting up with my messy desk, which sometimes spill over onto her desk ... and shelving unit ... and dinner table. The orchestra is playing, so ... Thanks.

pasph

10 Dec 2014, 00:16

Well deserved!

Hypersphere

11 Dec 2014, 00:49

@wcass: Excellent! You have paved the way for the rest of us to be able to joy the goodness of the XT with a much more usable layout!

Return to “Results”