Best regular keyboard 2014

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

08 Dec 2014, 21:18

The nominees in the category Best regular keyboard 2014 are:

Corsair K70 RGB and K95 RGB • The Corsair Gaming K70 and K95 are mechanical gaming keyboards with Cherry MX switches, key-by-key customizable backlighting, and full key matrix anti-ghosting with full key rollover on USB.

Ducky Legend series • The Ducky Legend uses a 5mm thick aluminum case top design for an industrial look that is suitable on your desk for work or gaming. It is powered by an ARM architecture micro-controller, Cherry switches and a dual layer PCB and has various backlighting effects.

Ducky Premier series • The Ducky Premier is an MX keyboard for typing purists. The keycaps are made with durable PBT plastic. The legend is printed with a dye-sumlimation process that dyes the color of the plastic which will never wear out.

Ducky Shine 4 • The Ducky Shine 4 is an ugrade to the Shine series with a modern look. It incorporates MX switches, USB Repeat Acceleration, N-Key Rollover, 1000hz polling and dual color LED backlighting effects.

KFC board • Feast your eyes on KFC Japan's fried chicken keyboard. Surely your hunt for the holy grail of mechanical keyboards is over after acquiring this stylish keyboard.

And the Wingnut for Best regular keyboard 2014, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

Feast your eyes on KFC Japan's fried chicken keyboard. Surely your hunt for the holy grail of mechanical keyboards is over after acquiring this stylish keyboard.

Finger lickin' good! Eeew…

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 21:19

And the winner is ... Yuck!

Khers

08 Dec 2014, 21:20

Nooooooooooooo, not that one. Anything, but that one!

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2014, 21:21

Deskthroity for ping award 2015

Muirium
µ

Facepalm.

Wait, didn't you say you voted for it, Andrew?

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

Yes! :twisted:

chzel

LOL...and the 2015 Ping award goes to....DT!!!

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2014, 21:22

i did :P

Jmneuv

08 Dec 2014, 21:34

o.O that's quite a slap for the other contenders.
The kfc chicken rapists do however not deserve any kind of praise in whichever form it may be.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

08 Dec 2014, 21:35

chzel wrote: LOL...and the 2015 Ping award goes to....DT!!!
This! :lol:

Findecanor

08 Dec 2014, 21:37

Oh no... I think we should suspend the Voter Prize for this category. Seriously...

mr_a500

08 Dec 2014, 21:49

Muirium wrote: Facepalm.
Chicken facepalm:
Chicken head.jpg

Ascaii
The Beard

08 Dec 2014, 21:51

I see a lesson to be learnt here....for one, many folks were clearly not blown away by most of the offerings that companies have been rolling out this past year. A general atitude of "keep doing the same thing as before and cash in" is found in the entire business of keyboards with the noteworthy exception of what CM has done with the novatouch. I hope companies will take this as a wakeup call and put more thought into actually advancing keyboards and not leaving the work to the community. Invest in R&D and improve your products, folks!

7bit

08 Dec 2014, 21:51

:shock: :cry: :mad:

mr_a500

08 Dec 2014, 21:56

Hmmm... that makes me wonder if this will win "iPhone Accessory of the Year" on the phone forums:
Chicken phone.jpg

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:08

The ultimate danger of joke entries…

Topre Enthusiast

08 Dec 2014, 22:11

Ascaii wrote: I see a lesson to be learnt here....for one, many folks were clearly not blown away by most of the offerings that companies have been rolling out this past year. A general atitude of "keep doing the same thing as before and cash in" is found in the entire business of keyboards with the noteworthy exception of what CM has done with the novatouch. I hope companies will take this as a wakeup call and put more thought into actually advancing keyboards and not leaving the work to the community. Invest in R&D and improve your products, folks!
I like this angle the most. DT didn't vote for the KFC board because it's funny (or did we? :?), we did it to spur on true innovation by giving those slack keyboard companies a wake-up call.

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2014, 22:19

I mainly did it as the others where not very interesting

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Dec 2014, 22:20

The whole category seemed a bit suspect to me, honestly. For the longest time I felt alone for actually wanting full-size keyboards (while watching all the aluminium TKL cases come and go). I've since lost interest in full-size, and the public face of the community in general seems to be sufficiently in favour of TKL and smaller that anyone looking for anything worth voting for won't find it here. For people who do just prefer an ordinary keyboard, Corsair's botched attempts to get RGB to work won't do them any favours, nor any of the other hype.

Even the Legend isn't that great. It's got the stupid bunched-up backlit legends, and a far too chunky insult-to-injury case (at least Filco don't make their TKL keyboards much larger than they needs to be). If they wanted to do backlit right, where are the Matias switches?

What exactly should anyone do to win this category? The only advantage of advanced backlighting is that I could set my nice blue/white arrangement that I want.

For me personally, I'm holding out for some proper switches. A resurrected Model M2 would be truly awesome, for example. Even a brand new Filco Zero would have been nice to see, and that never happened (Matias keyboards are far too bloated, and I'd rather have right Windows and menu with full-size: I can bind my own media keys, but I can't wipe Fn off the keyboard).

bhtooefr

08 Dec 2014, 22:21

Honestly, I think it was poor definition of the category, partially, not just how the market is. Look at how much we struggled to come up with alternatives to it, and the high-end keyboard market seems to be focusing on other sizes.

Deskthority for the 2015 Ping award, and maybe make 2015 allow anything currently on sale between 2014-12-01 00:00 and 2015-11-30 24:00 (that's a real time, believe it or not - equivalent to 2015-12-01 00:00, but signifying the previous day) UTC.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:31

I'm sure someone will remember to nominate us for our own coveted Ping award next year. I'd just like to point out for the record that I DIDNAE DAE IT! My vote was for the Ducky Premier, and I tried to rally some support for it, to no avail before the all conquering, deep fat fried joking juggernaut…

Seeing as TKLs are so lively at the moment, I'm definitely all in favour of moving the dividing line between compact and regular keyboards next year, where TKLs would be in this category. Much better balance if we do that.

And Webwit's general idea of retiring some awards so we can include some new ones is smart, too. I'd like a Best Review for instance (of those published on DT of course). And one way to clear that would be to merge struggling categories, or indeed eliminate them as a trial.

We can discuss all this in the buildup to DTA 2015. Or now, I suspect!

bhtooefr

08 Dec 2014, 22:37

Whereas I'm more in favor of moving the dividing line from release to availability, and then I think there'll be no shortage of full-size keyboards for us to vote for.

There's plenty available, and it's a strong market on its own, just a saturated one.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:38

That's definitely doable too. Depends on whether we want to make these prizes about innovation or recommendation.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Dec 2014, 22:38

bhtooefr wrote: Honestly, I think it was poor definition of the category, partially, not just how the market is.
But where's the IBM Model M2 TKL? The Filco Zero was known in the West only in its TKL guise (one or two countries did get a full-size version), but there's no new Zero of any size. The market is focusing too much on gimmicks and not on genuinely improving the baseline nature of the product. Where's Cherry's official ergo clear for that matter? The Germans are a smart bunch — they could get ergo clear working if they cared.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 22:42

Muirium wrote: And Webwit's general idea of retiring some awards so we can include some new ones is smart, too.
Hum, hum, so next year he could retire the ... Ping award?* :roll: :D
Spoiler:
*) to avoid the DT nomination, of course :)
Last edited by Laser on 08 Dec 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:45

Everyone seems to love that one the best of all!

My favourite this year was the brand new Best Photo contest. Definitely going to do that again. And I'll be tagging pictures I like all year long with 2015's DTAs in mind.

CeeSA

08 Dec 2014, 22:56

I am ashamed.

At all joke voters: I hate you, plz die slowly and horribly.

mr_a500

08 Dec 2014, 23:03

I'd like to suggest a new award: Best Suggestion for a New Award. (...and this suggestion is my entry, of course)
Muirium wrote: My favourite this year was the brand new Best Photo contest. Definitely going to do that again. And I'll be tagging pictures I like all year long with 2015's DTAs in mind.
I'm still annoyed that I couldn't find that picture of yours to nominate. (...you know, that one good photo you took.. :mrgreen: )

You wouldn't have won anyway though. HAL's photo was just too cute.

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 23:05

Exactly. There were some fantastic ones, technically and stylistically, but it had the emotion.

mtl

09 Dec 2014, 03:16

Yes! KFC was the most interesting of the finalists.

Return to “Results”