Best regular keyboard 2014

jacobolus

09 Dec 2014, 08:41

Some people just hate fun.

The KFC board was by far the most interesting of this bunch, I’m proud to have nominated it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Dec 2014, 09:40

wait. the winner is what?!

CeeSA

09 Dec 2014, 09:51

You are "proud"? wtf? You can't be serious. You nominated some bullshit, some folks are laughing about it.

Without you, we missed this KFC board. Without this KFC board this category would not be ridiculous.
But the most of us (ughh) are with you.

Maybe you could mess up some ohter category next time. Put some poo on a keyboard and win in 'Best self-build keyboard 2015'. That's even nicer if I thought that the serious nominees like Matt3o's Bianca or Kurplop’s ergonomic keyboard will lose for fun.

I am still laughing....

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Dec 2014, 09:56

honestly... the alternatives were quite lame. I mean the ducky are nice, but nothing special.

CeeSA

09 Dec 2014, 10:00

yes, thats what I thought too. And I did not vote in that category.

But what you expect? I did not nominated Tipro again with no chance of winning here.

Topre Enthusiast

09 Dec 2014, 10:02

The thing about the KFC board is that no-one here is ever going to be able to use one. There's literally one board in existence, that is, if you don't include whatever generic crappy board it was built upon. It's all just a bit of fun -- I'm certainly not going to be losing any sleep over it.

jacobolus

09 Dec 2014, 12:07

CeeSA wrote: You nominated some bullshit, some folks are laughing about it. [...] Maybe you could mess up some ohter category next time. Put some poo on a keyboard [...] I am still laughing....
Hi CeeSA. You seem to be really upset. Lighten up, and leave the poop out of this. No one should be taking any of this so seriously. (I really don’t know how to say that without sounding like a condescending jerk, sorry.)
That's even nicer if I thought that the serious nominees like Matt3o's Bianca or Kurplop’s ergonomic keyboard will lose for fun.
Note, I also nominated Kurplop’s keyboard.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 12:27

You can imagine what he'd be like if another picture of HAL's toys won the best photo prize!

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/1st-v ... ml#p193782

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2014, 12:29

I voted for the KFC keyboard.

The other ones are just somewhat modified replications of the eternal same keyboard,
while the KFC keyboard is resolutely different and sets completely new accents.
:lol:

My hope is that getting the award will motivate KFC to issue a MX compatible keycaps collection
as a nice alternative to those boring skulls, gas masks and other warmongering figures.
:mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 12:31

CeeSA

09 Dec 2014, 13:57

@kbdfr - I am speechless and disenchanted. There is no hope left anymore.

I think we will lose all our sponsors if the awards will go to this scrap in the next year.
But we could ask MCDonalds to give a heapy meal for the winners. Fits better to the electorate here.

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Dec 2014, 14:11

I'm sure all the votes for the KFC board were protest votes. I'm fed up of seeing the same stuff from keyboard manufacturers all the time.

CeeSA

09 Dec 2014, 14:20

That kind of "protest" will certainly change the mind of the keyboard manufacturers :roll:

To bring this to another level:
This "protest" is a vilification of the word protest.

Madhias
BS TORPE

09 Dec 2014, 14:28

CeeSA wrote: And I did not vote in that category.
Not voting but being upset :shock:

CeeSA

09 Dec 2014, 14:32

shure, whats wrong with that? Voting crap because there is nothing special available? Sound not like a good alternative.

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 15:03

its called a protest vote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest_vote :) abstaining is also a valid protest :)

7bit

09 Dec 2014, 15:10

It was all my fault!
:o

I could have told the bots to vote for the least embarrassing keyboard, the Ducky Premier.
:cry:

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 15:26

We could have a None of the Above option in the last round in every category. If it wins, no prize! It's good enough for Russia:

http://itar-tass.com/en/russia/715068

The only downside that I can see is if people vote for it too easily. A "No Prize this Year" situation should be a black mark on a whole market, not something to be taken lightly.

7bit

09 Dec 2014, 16:00

I'm quite sure we will see at least one spectacular, never seen before, regular keyboard in 2015!
:o

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 16:08

Hmm. 2015 seems a bit optimistic…

mr_a500

09 Dec 2014, 16:10

For some reason, the Deskthority Awards had me thinking of this:

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2014, 16:45

Might keep this category after all. It's so lively! :twisted:

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 17:50

Muirium wrote: Hmm. 2015 seems a bit optimistic…

i want that keyboard in thick SPH PBT dye-sub

but with a normal space bar

EDIT that number pad 8-) needs a tab key tho all number pads need a tab key

Findecanor

09 Dec 2014, 19:18

Hey, even if there was no keyboard that was exceptional, all four except the KFC board are pretty good keyboards.
The "Corsair Gaming" keyboards should be spanked for having tramp stamp logos, but other than that the standard has got pretty high by now.

I voted for the Ducky Premier because of the keycaps (colour scheme, print, material, thickness), the classy classic case style and because Ducky's build quality hasn't disappointed me.

I am not sure if this category should be considered valid in the future. What is "regular" anyway? To me, a tenkeyless is "regular" because I never use the numeric keypad, and never have, and now that tenkeyless are more abundant that is all I ever use. "Best Full-size Keyboard" would be a better title if it should remain at all.
I think that the KFC keyboard should have been disqualified early on, on the grounds that it is not produced as more than one in any form.
I also think that a category that does not get more than four nominations should go to a vote - it should be closed down.
andrewjoy wrote: abstaining is also a valid protest :)
No. Abstaining is a valid protest only if it has been recorded that you are not voting. Otherwise your non-vote will not count.

Jmneuv

09 Dec 2014, 20:44

Aren't the corsairs the first fully programmable mainstream keyboards? that's something, no? also their backlighting programmability beats any korean keyboard so far. smd leds for cheaper led keyboard production.. i see some innovation there.
The case design is not my taste but not horrible either..
I think ducky was pretty boring in terms of key-boards not -caps.. (they also reduced their color choice).

7bit

09 Dec 2014, 20:56

andrewjoy wrote: i want that keyboard in thick SPH PBT dye-sub

but with a normal space bar

EDIT that number pad 8-) needs a tab key tho all number pads need a tab key
It will be available in thick SPH ABS doubleshots from Round 5 and 5a!!!
:ugeek:

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 21:14

yeh but i need the pcb and case :P

davkol

12 Dec 2014, 23:43

Jmneuv wrote: Aren't the corsairs the first fully programmable mainstream keyboards? that's something, no?
Roccat Ryos and depends on what you consider mainstream anyway.

Hak Foo

13 Dec 2014, 03:55

The problem with the other competitors is that none of them were undeniable "stop and stare" level breakthroughs.

Let's see what each one brought to the table:

The Ducky boards are, as good as they may be, pretty iterative riffs on existing concepts. The Premier looks an awful lot like any of their other 108-key boards with an aftermarket cap set. The Legend, drop an old Shine in an aftermarket case (why do you see so few aftermarket cases for fullsize boards?). The Shine4 is just the next generation of a known quantity.

The Corsair RGB boards had promise as something distinctive and new, but their execution was such a disaster. Failed to deliver the colour choices. Ugly logo. Late. And the exclusivity arrangement with Cherry has just kept anyone who might have done a better job either out of the market, or having to source alternatives (Kailh, Romer-G, etc.)

Yes, in a way, the KFC board is a protest vote, but in a way, it's the only one of the choices that actually made us all stop and stare... without immediately following it up with complaining.

CeeSA

17 Dec 2014, 17:07

@webwit - did you sent the "precious" wingnuts to the clown winner? I really would like to know that?

Return to “Results”