Best keyboard switch 2014

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

08 Dec 2014, 21:23

The nominees in the category Best keyboard switch 2014 are:

Cherry MX Black • The Cherry MX Black is the original MX switch. In production since 1984, it was an instant hit, and still lies at the heart of the mechanical keyboard world today. This linear, medium weight switch is probably one of the easiest to find out in the wild. For good reason.

IBM Beam Spring • The IBM beam spring was used in almost all of the keyboards that IBM designed during the 1970s, and has, since its rediscovery, a wide following of fans who regard it as the best switch.

IBM Model F Capacitive Buckling Spring • The Capacitive Buckling Spring is the heart and soul of the IBM Model Fs whether it be a little 40 key or a giant 122. The later, cost cutting, Model M gets a lot of the spotlight, but the Model F was where buckling spring began.

Nixdorf Black • A special vintage version of the Cherry MX. The Nixdorf Black switch is a super smooth MX black with a distinctive transparent casing, made exclusively for Nixdorf Computer decades before Corsair thought of RGB backlights. They are highly sought after indeed, as their smoothness is the stuff of regular MX's dreams.

NovaTouch TKL - Topre Hybrid Capacitive Switch • Cooler Master's "Hybrid Capacitative Switch" is a Topre switch but with MX compatible sliders, enabling easy use of all your custom caps. It's also the answer to Signature Plastics', GMK's and 7bit's prayers!

And the Wingnut for Best keyboard switch 2014, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

Cooler Master's "Hybrid Capacitative Switch" is a Topre switch but with MX compatible sliders, enabling easy use of all your custom caps. It's also the answer to Signature Plastics', GMK's and 7bit's prayers!

It's Topre! But it's Ch…wait, what? Cherry MX compatible?

7bit

08 Dec 2014, 21:58

Wait! A rubberdome switch wins?
:cry:

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:05

Won by a long way. (Has Webwit made the figures publicly available yet?) More votes for NovaTouch than both of IBM's best combined!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

09 Dec 2014, 08:08

Oh wow this is a really nice one to win! Thanks to all the DT community for voting for us! :D

jacobolus

09 Dec 2014, 08:59

Considering Model F switches won last year, and various MX switches won the two years before that (and additionally this time around there were two variants of MX black to split votes between), I’m not at all surprised at this result (I voted for the winner).

We should take previous winners off the ballot in this category in the future, and have some kind of de-duplication.

CM Pim
Cooler Master Rep

09 Dec 2014, 11:08

Awesome! Thanks DT Community for voting. We really appreciate it. :D

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 11:50

Great. Now make it better!

Ascaii
The Beard

09 Dec 2014, 16:46

Pim and Bram, you still have no announced your epic win of this prestigious prize on the facebook page ;)

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 16:55

Yeah, time to flaunt!

When you do get both caps, pop them on a NovaTouch. One problem though: I can tell you through personal experience, Wingnuts are too wide to fit in the Escape position.

SL89

09 Dec 2014, 17:32

Ascaii wrote: Pim and Bram, you still have no announced your epic win of this prestigious prize on the facebook page ;)
If anything this is a legit endorsement, moreso then by any paid publications or blogs or anything.

Hypersphere

09 Dec 2014, 18:08

I'm somewhat surprised, although the award is deserved for innovation, even if the execution needs to be improved.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

11 Dec 2014, 13:55

Haha it has also been posted already here and there on the social media's and spread to our local marketing teams.

Example: https://www.facebook.com/CoolerMasterNA ... 84/?type=1

Hypersphere

11 Dec 2014, 14:32

Muirium wrote: Yeah, time to flaunt!

When you do get both caps, pop them on a NovaTouch. One problem though: I can tell you through personal experience, Wingnuts are too wide to fit in the Escape position.
Time to redesign keyboards to fit Wingnut Awards....

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

12 Dec 2014, 15:27

The wingnuts have arrived Hypershere (and installed on my office NovaTouch TKL :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Dec 2014, 17:05

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2014, 11:44

Tomorrow webwit, tomorrow :mrgreen: (It will be all over our social media channels even to show off :D)

Return to “Results”