The *Ping* Award 2014

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

08 Dec 2014, 22:08

And now for the best category...

What was the worst keyboard or keyboard/input device related experience in 2014?
The nominees for The *Ping* Award 2014 are:

Cherry for campaigning against quality mech keyboards in the workplace • "Upgrade your old-fashioned, hopelessly outdated keyboard. Technically, ergonomically and from a data-protection perspective. Outdated inside, with yesterday’s performance, technology, and security. Switch to our modern, wafer-thin wet newspaper and dead octopus designs. Yours, Cherry."

Corsair for the double whammy of logo and RGB facepalms • Corsair's new Corsair Gaming logo didn't quite meet the expectations of their following, while their new RGB keyboards' advertised colour range of 16777216 different colours just came short a measly 16776704 colours.

GH60 delays, delays... • Please be patient for your PCB. Our guy went on a world trip trying to discover his inner Yin radiance. His replacements just need the stabilizers, but the bridge was open. Unfortunately the new group buy for stabilizers is on hold because the dog ate them. Please review your address in the Google Document, and all will be well!

Razer's marketing for BlackWidow 2014 with "Razer" switches "designed ground-up for gaming" • "The all-new Razer Mechanical Switch - Green (Clicky) and Orange (Non-Clicky). Designed from the ground up for gaming.", said Razer's CEO. Of course they turned out to be mere clones.

The crushing of the banking Kishsavers • Our favorite vintage keyboard dealer Electronics Plus found a number of extremely rare IBM Kishsavers... only to see them crushed due to the bank's data destruction policy! A thousand cries were heard, they echoed in the wind.
Los Robots Humanos.

And the Smiley for The *Ping* Award 2014, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

Our favorite vintage keyboard dealer Electronics Plus found a number of extremely rare IBM Kishsavers... only to see them crushed due to the bank's data destruction policy! A thousand cries were heard, they echoed in the wind.
*Warning: Extremely Graphic*

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:08

<Ouch>

7bit

08 Dec 2014, 22:11

I'm so lucky I can't watch those videos!
:cool:

Is there any plan to let them know they "won" that prize?
:?

Muirium
µ

08 Dec 2014, 22:12

Well, we could always tie it to a brick and have someone in San Antonio lob it through the guy's window.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Dec 2014, 22:23

Congrats! .. uh, wait

jacobolus

09 Dec 2014, 09:06

So is someone going to physically send the keycap to them? (And which keycap exactly?)

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 11:25

Muirium wrote: Well, we could always tie it to a brick and have someone in San Antonio lob it through the guy's window.
What did the poor window do wrong ?

Feed him and his new keycap through the shredder.

Findecanor

09 Dec 2014, 11:47

Is the winner of the *Ping* Award supposed to get a wingnut keycap? Really? I think a PC Jr rubber chiclet key would be more appropriate.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 11:49

No wingnut. Hit the spoiler.

mr_a500

09 Dec 2014, 13:24

Maybe a different keycap should be designed for the Ping Award - in the shape of a steaming pile of shit.

("shitnut?")

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2014, 14:15

I already send the turd key (above the smiley) to a previous winner who was pining for it. Then he sold it a week later...

Currently in use is the Litster Smiley key, which hasn't been claimed yet!

7bit

09 Dec 2014, 14:19

You should send an item that destroys their shredder!
:evilgeek:

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 15:10

we need a keycap of a banker pouring money into a shredder , as thats what he basically did

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 15:45

Kudos to the winner who immediately sold it. Attaboy!
mr_a500 wrote: Maybe a different keycap should be designed for the Ping Award - in the shape of a steaming pile of shit.

("shitnut?")
A nicely crafted, classic, curly, straight from the dog style, pile of crap would be a highly sought after speciality cap indeed!

It's an official Emoji character these days, after all. And surely destined for Unicode immortality.

http://emojipedia.org/pile-of-poo/

andrewjoy

09 Dec 2014, 18:06

the fact that emoji are in unicode deserve its own ping award

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2014, 18:09

The smile is what makes it.

Findecanor

09 Dec 2014, 19:02

Or maybe a keycap with a bent, stretched, coiled spring attached to it. Painted gold. On a Cherry MY switch module on top of a piece of wood.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Dec 2014, 23:06

webwit wrote: I already send the turd key (above the smiley) to a previous winner who was pining for it. Then he sold it a week later...

Currently in use is the Litster Smiley key, which hasn't been claimed yet!
The smiley key is cute though :P

mr_a500

16 Dec 2014, 15:55

We probably should have just sent some bullshit:

andrewjoy

16 Dec 2014, 18:05

why does this guy remind me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34f_-T26AmA

mr_a500

16 Dec 2014, 18:09

Arg. "This video is not available in your country."

What kind of shit head blocked my country?

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2014, 18:17

Me either, and I'm in the same country (for now) as Andy!

Edit: No, that was just on the old iPad. Works now on my Mac. Without Flash, so nothing technical preventing it. They're asshats!

Return to “Results”