Help us with English (American) forum software translations

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2015, 18:00

We use a modified version of the phpBB forum software. phpBB offers various translation packs, and we have various of these installed. However, our custom mods and additions are not covered by these packs, so this is where we need your help.

English (American) is almost the same as the default language, English (British), so no translations are needed.
You can use this topic though for for additions, corrections and improvements.

Mal-2

08 Feb 2015, 18:59

What.

Two countries separated by a common language.

There are some dialects that might need translation, but generally this just sort of happens on the fly. It's not like we're speaking Belizean Kreol here.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2015, 19:04

It's the same set of language files except for the usual differences such as -our vs -or and -ise vs -ize.

Mal-2

08 Feb 2015, 19:17

webwit wrote: It's the same set of language files except for the usual differences such as -our vs -or and -ise vs -ize.
And defense/defence, zee/zed. Yeah I get it, though I was rather hoping you were making something that translates Cockney rhyming slang to intelligible (for us 'Merkins) English, and do word swaps as appropriate: bonnet/hood, boot/trunk, arse/ass... the list is a long one.

I guess I'm asking what you actually intend to do with this "translation", and how we can be of assistance.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2015, 19:26

You don't have to do anything, it's already an option which you can select in your settings.

bhtooefr

08 Feb 2015, 20:48

Mal-2 wrote: bonnet/hood
The problem with that one is, hood also has a meaning in English (British)! For instance, I just got a car that has a hood in both dialects. ;)

Muirium
µ

08 Feb 2015, 21:20

Such translations would be more important if we were (horror) translating people's posts, rather than just the small bits of forum UI in question.

Some expansions I'd really like would fix Americanisms like TP that had me wondering just today! Idioms are where our branches of English really differ.

Return to “Forum software translations”