Deskthority Awards 2015 - Request for Comments

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 15:52

If its just the contacts should be quite easy to fix , unless the trace is on the other side and you have to desolder every single switch .....

But the PCB designer would not be that stupid , right ?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Oct 2015, 15:53

7bit wrote: I suggest we run a poll over all categories.
Agreed. Better yet let's have a vote.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:56

Let people vote on a few key questions. If we open a free-for-all on every possible award idea, the crap will float to the top. Democracy is good at that! Eyecatching wins votes. But that means Trump for president!

@Andy: He just might! Anyway, the Cherry stabs don't do anything kind to that board, and could really use clipping. For that, the whole 104 or whatever switches (with LEDs!!) need to go too. See what I mean about mod-unfriendly? I was just replacing the spring on the spacebar, which was way too light for my liking.

mr_a500

27 Oct 2015, 16:59

I always vote for Number 6.
Spoiler:
Vote.JPG

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 17:03

Never!

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2015, 22:23

So, everyone is in agreement then?

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 22:26

Absolutely.

7bit

28 Oct 2015, 22:50

About what?
:?

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 22:51

About how my plan for the DTAs is awesome and thoroughly the right way to go. Hip hip!

Why, weren't you here?

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2015, 22:52

The outrageous list I'll come up with in the end.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 22:56

How about each of us (who's really bothered…) comes up with a single proposal for all the awards. Then we put those to a vote of forum members or the club?

I don't want to put every single individual award idea to a vote, because people are bloody eijits and will vote for shite. I trust them better for the simpler task of selecting between well considered lists instead.

seebart

28 Oct 2015, 23:05

Muirium wrote: ...because people are bloody eijits and will vote for shite...
Hmm well that's good to know.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2015, 23:20

^ Scottish dictators...

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2015, 23:28

We have a pretty good one of those already.

Whatever you're on about she's not interested, unless it's independence.

Anyway, I never got to where I was in life by appealing to democracy. Filthy bloody game that is…

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Nov 2015, 21:09

So clickclack seems to have disappeared in a puff of smoke or is otherwise not able to answer my mails. I've only a couple of spare Wingnuts. Does anyone have a good idea for new trophies?

seebart

05 Nov 2015, 21:14

webwit wrote: Does anyone have a good idea for new trophies?
Your space cadet keyboard. :mrgreen: Just kidding, sorry. How about one year free DT club membership.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Nov 2015, 21:17

That's not a bad idea if we fail to make something tangible on such short notice, although it should be more than one year.

seebart

05 Nov 2015, 21:24

Right, one year is a little cheap. Make it three years.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

05 Nov 2015, 21:26

Matt3os pumpkins in DT black and white? If he's ok with that.

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2015, 22:54

Damn. That's a shame.

As for a replacement: several years club membership is a good fallback. As for something physical: it would have to be awesome and strictly limited edition. Matteo is the only one here who can pull that off. Though there may not be enough time even if he is up to the challenge.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Nov 2015, 23:12

I still have 5 silver and 1 golden wingnuts, so we are good for the most prestigious categories this year, although I don't really fancy such a separation. Also this gives a problem if there are multiple winners in a category (same amount of votes). That is what the spares were for.

Muirium
µ

06 Nov 2015, 00:27

Here's an idea: give out one of them a year, as the most prestigious award of all. The gold one can be for the DTA's 10th annual award.

I think the way we do the Deskthority Award now is a bit dumb. It's our miscellaneous category. It should really be the supreme prize. Perhaps a final round in which only other award winners are qualified.

(Naturally, we want all the winners unveiled at the same moment. So how to run a second round like that? There are ways. Although they involve preferential voting, rather than straight yes/no picks like we've done so far. Anyway, it's just a thought.)

Another thought: the Final Golden Wingnut goes to the best contributor of DT's first 10 years. That would be one hell of a send off!

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Nov 2015, 11:51

Good news, clickclack has turned up and will be able to provide Wingnuts after all.

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2015, 12:46

Excellent! Can he do a pink, sorry "rose gold" Wingnut for Cindy, I wonder…

Also, is he up for top hat caps? Damnit man, we need those! And I've had no luck pestering Matteo with the idea.

Halvar

07 Nov 2015, 14:51

That's marvellous. I think we can be really thankful that ClickClack still does this for DT.

elecplus

07 Nov 2015, 16:24

Somewhere we ought to have an award, or at least a thread, of ugliest keyboards. I brought a few home and will post in a few days. Makes me wonder where the designer's heads were when they came up with these ideas. I understand the "learning" keyboards with the colored caps for each finger. And I understand kids' keybaords with large (or very tiny) keys and bright colors. But some of these are just horrible!

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2015, 16:40

That'd be a solid photo thread.

As for historical awards: I think we should retire them. No one ever accepts the prize. Instead of awarding the companies, award the person in the community with the best specimen. We did that with Mr A500's beamspring APLs once, right?

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Nov 2015, 23:09

Muirium wrote: Excellent! Can he do a pink, sorry "rose gold" Wingnut for Cindy, I wonder…

Also, is he up for top hat caps? Damnit man, we need those! And I've had no luck pestering Matteo with the idea.
I think clickclack had a difficult year, so I'm glad he's doing the standard wingnuts, better not pester him for more...
Muirium wrote: As for historical awards: I think we should retire them. No one ever accepts the prize. Instead of awarding the companies, award the person in the community with the best specimen. We did that with Mr A500's beamspring APLs once, right?
The Deskthority Awards are not only about giving each other awards, not every category needs to have a person from our community attached to it. Mr A500 did win but refused the wingnut. I agreed it felt somewhat wrong to receive one for just owning an object. The one exception is the Best relic or discovery category, where the newly found specimen go.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

08 Nov 2015, 05:35

Muirium wrote: Excellent! Can he do a pink, sorry "rose gold" Wingnut for Cindy, I wonder… […]
I wonder how Muirium knows who is going to get an award
when we don't even have final categories yet :lol:

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2015, 14:33

Simple. Happy customers are happy voters.

Besides, this is XMIT's year. Cindy will be back for Lifetime Achievement later.

Return to “DTA news”