Best commercial alternative or other input device 2015

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 20:12

Please suggest nominees for the Best commercial alternative or other input device in 2015. This can be an ergonomic keyboard, a mouse, a trackball, etc. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. The input device must be released since November 2014.

By voting in the third round of this category, you can win an assembled Infinity 60% keyboard with Matias Quiet Click switches from Input Club!

The first round ends on Thursday 3 December, 00:00hrs UTC.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • WayTools textblade
  • Apple pencil
  • Matias Ergo Pro
  • NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet and its input stylus
  • Steam controller + Steam link
  • Logbar Ring
  • BlackBerry Priv

pcaro

27 Nov 2015, 22:13

A rare contender: WayTools textblade. I support innovation and I appreciate products trying to open new markets such as mobile devices with creativity. True, we not are talking about our dear mechanical keyboards, but good keyboards in revolutionary formats.

Halvar

27 Nov 2015, 23:53

Sorry for going mainstream, but the Apple pencil seems pretty great. Too bad it only works on the iPad Pro yet, but it's still a nice innovation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHp4kxm3xk

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2015, 23:56

Whew, someone else nominated this year's rightful winner. Love or hate them, this is Apple at its best. Expect a tsunami of me too products from this.

Findecanor

28 Nov 2015, 00:10

Let's hope. But actually, from what I can see the only difference from other styli is the response time. Graphics tablets with good response time has been possible for a while - beats me why we have not seen it in a mainstream product before.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2015, 01:49

I suspect the iPad Pro itself contains a lot of the hardware, and the cost, of that experience. It can easily afford that. An advantage Apple has with being vertically integrated and at such high volume these days, all with a tasty profit margin.

bhtooefr

28 Nov 2015, 02:09

Reusing a nomination from last year, because webwit told me to save it for this year due to the keyboard not actually shipping. It's now shipping.
bhtooefr wrote: Can the Matias Ergo Pro be nominated, seeing as it doesn't ship until next month? I wouldn't vote for it because I hate the quiet clicks (and I haven't used it), but I see no reason to not nominate it. Flexible layout, made by a major mechanical keyboard manufacturer, and has an interesting approach to the bottom row (which Matias is also using on their 60%).

Halvar

28 Nov 2015, 02:13

Justified nomination! But is this the right category?

bhtooefr

28 Nov 2015, 02:14

webwit wrote: This can be an ergonomic keyboard

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Nov 2015, 02:30

Yes, while there is no strict rule you cannot nominate this at Best commercial keyboard, the "alternative" part of this category includes keyboards such as split ergonomic, one-hand grip keyboards, etc., where they have a much better chance.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Nov 2015, 02:39

I'm nominating the NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet and its input stylus. This is somewhat self serving. :evilgeek:

andrewjoy

28 Nov 2015, 11:39

XMIT wrote: I'm nominating the NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet and its input stylus. This is somewhat self serving. :evilgeek:
LOL :P

I nominate , the steam controller+ Steam link, for trying to break the monopoly of the console giants in the living room gaming space. We can now play games with a framerate ( no 30 FPS is never ok) form this century whist being fat on the couch.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2015, 11:56

Was that released this year? Seems like I heard about it longer ago than that.

andrewjoy

28 Nov 2015, 12:48

The final one came out a few months ago, the others where trail ones/pre production

bhtooefr

30 Nov 2015, 01:22

Logbar Ring, wearable gesture control device that can do text entry: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription (That actually sounds horrible, but might as well toss some more options in?)

BlackBerry Priv, a high-end Android phone with a full QWERTY keyboard. Unfortunately, the touch functionality isn't eligible for best innovation (it launched on the Passport in 2014).

Chyros

30 Nov 2015, 01:54

andrewjoy wrote:
XMIT wrote: I'm nominating the NVIDIA Shield K1 tablet and its input stylus. This is somewhat self serving. :evilgeek:
LOL :P

I nominate , the steam controller+ Steam link, for trying to break the monopoly of the console giants in the living room gaming space. We can now play games with a framerate ( no 30 FPS is never ok) form this century whist being fat on the couch.

Is it me or is it really ironic that an award should go to a PC controller on a keyboard forum? xD

Return to “Call for nominees”