Best keycaps 2015

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 21:35

Please suggest nominees for the Best keycaps in 2015. It can be novelty keys, complete sets, etc. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. The keycaps must be released since November 2014.

By voting in the third round of this category, you can win a Quick Fire Rapid SI and a yet-to-be-released mouse from Cooler Master!

The first round ends on Thursday 3 December, 00:00hrs UTC.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • SA Retro
  • Round 5
  • Ivan's Black on Black dyesubs
  • GMK Triumph Adler
  • Gateron PBT keycaps
  • JTK keycaps
  • matt3o's Topre PBT spacebars
  • Decentkeyboards' IBM keycaps
  • GMK HyperFuse set run by [CTRL]ALT

chzel

27 Nov 2015, 21:42

I'd like to nominate SA Retro, it's refreshingly retro yet modern! And those PETSCII legends are the shit!
Spoiler:

pcaro

27 Nov 2015, 21:58

It's the year when Round 5 really shipped! A reference year. Round 5 must be here.
Last edited by pcaro on 27 Nov 2015, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

SL89

27 Nov 2015, 22:24

I was just gonna ask if Round 5 counted as 2015 or some other year in the fog of the past.

chzel

27 Nov 2015, 22:27

Round 5 transcends time.

Halvar

27 Nov 2015, 22:30

Definitely Round 5, for the color scheme and thick retro awesomeness of them, but even more for the unsurpassed variety of kits and legends that was offered.

Daniel

28 Nov 2015, 12:31

I'd like to nominate Ivan's Black on Black dyesubs: http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/p ... t6819.html pictures: http://deskthority.net/post240841.html#p240841
More pictures in the GB thread at Geekhack: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0 , for example this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50 ... msg1802258

They shipped in 2015, but the group buy started in 2013.

I'd like them to be nominated because they were the first black on black dyesubs available via group buy and came out really nicely and in high quality in my opinion.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Nov 2015, 12:53

I agree with previous nomination, but I would also like to nominate... GMK Triumph Adler.

Even if shipping was a total mess and plastics were kinda badly mixed, intelli78 put a lot of efforts on it (like, buying a Dario 286 keyboard himself), and it resulted in a unique color in Cherry profile. I'm pretty sure that despite everything that happened for that set, it will still be envied in the future.

I would like also to nominate Gateron keycaps, that I still didn't try but which looks very good. It's not every day that a new manufacturer for dye-sublimated PBT keycaps appears.

Speaking about new manufacturers, I guess JTK should be nominated too.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Nov 2015, 18:35

nobody interested in a Topre PBT spacebar? Gosh... I spent more money on that project...

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2015, 18:51

Wait, not enough Wingnuts? You're a strong contender for two awards yourself! And as nice as the PBT spacebars are, they're up against SA Retro!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Nov 2015, 19:39

like I haven't always put the prizes back to the community :P

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2015, 20:08

No worries. I'm just whining because you've got several nominations already. And I've got zero.

Whining and winning. One little letter makes all the difference!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Nov 2015, 20:31

Muirium wrote: No worries. I'm just whining because you've got several nominations already. And I've got zero.

Whining and winning. One little letter makes all the difference!
Oh jeez, I'll find something we can nominate Mu for. Hmm let's see...
Spoiler:
best Whining :evilgeek:
Last edited by seebart on 29 Nov 2015, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

29 Nov 2015, 20:37

Now he'll always expect that whining works. :(

seebart

29 Nov 2015, 20:39

guk wrote: Now he'll always expect that whining works. :(
No I'm too smart for that guk. ;) What I wrote is true, and a nomination is just that and not more.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

29 Nov 2015, 20:45

I'd like to nominate matt3o's Topre PBT spacebars!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Nov 2015, 20:51

I was really hoping to nominate rsbseb and his key caps but I fear they may not get done any tine soon. Hang in there rsbseb.

seebart

29 Nov 2015, 20:52

ramnes wrote: I'd like to nominate matt3o's Topre PBT spacebars!
Yes having tried three in total I will second that. They are more than worthy. An excellent project.

idollar
i$

29 Nov 2015, 20:59

I would like to nominate decentkeyboards for this. It is impressive:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/dec ... it=idollar

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Nov 2015, 22:45

ramnes wrote: I'd like to nominate matt3o's Topre PBT spacebars!
\o/

after all I've been through to make it happen :) not that it deserves an award, but still :)

scottc

29 Nov 2015, 23:38

Good shout, ramnes! I see matt3o is being modest, as usual. ;) There have been so many great projects this year that it's hard to remember them all!

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2015, 00:15

idollar wrote: I would like to nominate decentkeyboards for this.
Nice call. Decentkeyboards makes some great stuff, and for buckling spring no less! One of those sets is among the many things on my lengthy wishlist. The price is understandable, as they're essentially artisan caps. And that MOQ can't be beat!
seebart wrote:
guk wrote: Now he'll always expect that whining works. :(
No I'm too smart for that guk. ;) What I wrote is true, and a nomination is just that and not more.
Careful now. The dial goes up higher!

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Nov 2015, 00:54

Gateron PBTs must win this.

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 09:47

Round 5 for the world!!!
:ugeek:

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

01 Dec 2015, 11:33

I nominate GMK HyperFuse set run by [CTRL]ALT, because it's a great colourway, it's the first GMK GB that crossed the 400+ sets boundary, I think the first GMK buy to cover also more "exotic" layouts (75%, 1800 )
My photo is plain shit it doesn't do justice at all to the set :lol:

scottc

01 Dec 2015, 14:07

I really love the HyperFuse alphas, but find the modifier colours too muted and lacking contrast. But the alphas are beautiful!

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

01 Dec 2015, 15:37

I thought the same about the mods but in real life they look way better. But the alphas are the best, you are right, the white is actually a very very light grey.

Azhdar

01 Dec 2015, 16:15

+1 for gateron blanks PBT

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Dec 2015, 22:13

There are no pics for the Gateron PBT dyesubs yet, let's change that:

Return to “Call for nominees”