The *Ping* Award 2015

Halvar

29 Nov 2015, 16:36

I'm in favor of merging the reasons to nominate Massdrop into one nomination. It would be kind of absurd to split the vote on them.

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2015, 17:55

Same here. I'd like to throw the book at them! Not debate which specific chapter.

bhtooefr

29 Nov 2015, 18:04

I'd also be for merging the Massdrop nominations, although how does ramnes's nomination fit in with that? It's nominating both GMK and Massdrop for the same incident.

There's also the argument that the nominators would possibly need to agree on merging, but that at least covers the Topre set and registration barrier ones, as Muirium nominated those and is agreeing with merging.

JanitorJoe

29 Nov 2015, 19:27

I'm definitely in favour of merging. They're over half the nominations!

But yeah that does complicate things for how GMK will be voted for in the Triumph Adler incident.

KRKS

29 Nov 2015, 21:40

Maybe keep the GMK + MD nomination separate, and merge all of the others?

Also remind me to nominate them next year for "breaking the nominations in the Ping Award"

bhtooefr

29 Nov 2015, 21:44

The problem is eligibility - that needs to be nominated for THIS year, it appears.

In any case, the original GMK+MD nomination was separate nominations, one for GMK, one for MD...
Last edited by bhtooefr on 29 Nov 2015, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

Findecanor

29 Nov 2015, 21:44

bhtooefr wrote: I actually have tried it, and for what it was, found it interesting and liked it.
Yeah, but I think that the "for what it was" part should have kept you from nominating it for "best keyboard switch". ;)
I like the metal-bubble keyboards on a couple vintage Ti calculators I have - which is a similar tactile/metal contact mechanism - but I wouldn't want to use those for typing text either.

bhtooefr

29 Nov 2015, 21:47

Like I said, it's partially a protest against the awards for the KFC keyboard winning a Wingnut last year.

Also, I finally figured out how to give KFC a ping.

The KFC Tray Typer keyboard. For increasing pollution (even if they got taken home, you know they got thrown away), most likely being awful to type on, and for being from the company that gave us something pingworthy last year.

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 10:01

7bit for:
- not delivering Hyper keyboard plates
- super slow shipping
- rolling deadlines
- permuting the Secret Santa
:roll:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Nov 2015, 10:19

YES

scottc

30 Nov 2015, 11:10

I, for once, agree with 7bit. However, self nomination is not allowed so 7bit is DISQUALIFIED. :evilgeek:

SL89

30 Nov 2015, 18:39

scottc wrote: I, for once, agree with 7bit. However, self nomination is not allowed so 7bit is DISQUALIFIED. :evilgeek:
What if 7bot nominated him?

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 20:07

... and CherryMX, Phantom, 7bit_r4 ...
:oops:

I've shortened the list a bit:
  • Massdrop for an extreme amount of various reasons,
  • The Key Tronic foam and foil key switch. So much potential. So much disappointment.
  • GhostOfHarry (GeekHack)'s amazing disappearance and subsequent return with a mountain of Tai-Hao doubleshots
  • Cherry, for closing the UK office and various other reasons (MX board 6.0)
  • GMK for their trays
  • Apple Butterfly Mechanism, this time Apple looked just at aesthetics completely ignoring functionality
  • 7bit, because he deserves to win in at least one category!
:evilgeek:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Nov 2015, 20:12

scottc wrote: I, for once, agree with 7bit. However, self nomination is not allowed so 7bit is DISQUALIFIED. :evilgeek:
Actually webwit is allowing self nomination in the best relic or discovery 2015 category, so 7bit can nominate himself there as the best relic. :lol: :mrgreen: :evilgeek:
webwit wrote: Please suggest nominees for the Best relic or discovery in 2015. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. It is allowed to show off and nominate your own relics.
I've shortend the list further to clarify...
7bit wrote: [*] 7bit, because he deserves to win in at least one category!

Last edited by seebart on 30 Nov 2015, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 20:14

As best relic 2015, I can nominate SHIF T keys.
:roll:

I've got tons of these left.
:o

Want some?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Nov 2015, 20:20

7bit wrote: Want some?
Nope. I've got plenty of nominations already, by myself and others. ;)

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Dec 2015, 03:59

There is always this beauty:
Attachments
JiZZ-magic-wand-Gx12-three-color-backlight-waterproof-gaming-special-keyboard-LOL-Dedicated-.jpg
JiZZ-magic-wand-Gx12-three-color-backlight-waterproof-gaming-special-keyboard-LOL-Dedicated-.jpg (311.4 KiB) Viewed 15353 times

KRKS

03 Dec 2015, 09:35

Remind me next year to nominate whoever suggested and approved the damped Alps rip off in the innovation category.

bhtooefr

03 Dec 2015, 15:00

Problem is that the nomination happened in November, so it's too late.

Hypersphere

20 Dec 2015, 19:00

guk wrote: Massdrop for their KC60 drop. They raised the limit from 200 to 300, then 500 units which the manufacturer(s) appearantly couldn't handle. When they finally delivered the keyboards with the most popular keycap option, it came with this sweet "novelty" keycap:

5 months after the drop was launched, some people are still waiting for the proper keycaps.

Don't think there's a guest mode for discussions, or is there?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kc60-mecha ... guest_open
But perhaps owning a "Backspase" key will be the keyboard enthusiast equivalent to owning an "Inverted Jenny" in the world of philately:
Inverted_Jenny.jpg
Inverted_Jenny.jpg (93.46 KiB) Viewed 15281 times
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _issue.jpg

Return to “Call for nominees”