The Deskthority Lifetime Award 2015

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 22:48

Please your special attention for the first Deskthority Lifetime Award, to celebrate the keyboard community and the fifth edition of the Deskthority Awards, and to give special honour to the ultimate winner for long-lasting contributions.

Which person, organisation, company or other entity stood out for you the past years? Who deserves a Golden Wingnut for extra special efforts? It is not required that your candidate is on deskthority. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself.

By voting in the third round of this category, you can win a Quick Fire Rapid SI and a yet-to-be-released mouse from Cooler Master!

The first round ends on Thursday 3 December, 00:00hrs UTC.

Current suggestions (this list is frequently updated):
  • 002 for his work on the wiki and for the Realforce Euro Tour Round 4, giving us the chance to try Topre for free
  • Edgar Matias for his outstanding vision and perseverance in continually innovating mechanical keyboards from switch to form factor for those of us who are typers not gamers
  • sixty for sharing his immense knowledge and finds and for the hope that he returns
  • HaaTa for the many many pictures of vintage keyboards\switches, maybe we'd never even know existed if it weren't for him. The bay area meetups are nice too
  • iMav, for organizing the English-language keyboard community for the first time, with Geekhack
  • matt3o for everything he's been up to
  • Hasu of course. Because he is a fucking superhero! Without Hasu we wouldn't have any custom keyboard
  • Soarer too ;)
  • Daniel Beardsmore for his momentous work on the wiki
  • Ivan for his deep knowledge and for his group buys
  • elecplus for all the nice keyboards
  • photekq for his Cherry collection and passion
  • 7bit for his herculean groupbuys, running his parts store here on the forum directly and for his various keyboard projects beyond just keycaps
  • Ripster for /r/MechanicalKeyboards, leading people to GH and DT, and running the highest traffic community
  • Signature Plastics, till few years ago without them we would be still typing on OEM plastics, they helped forming the community
  • The Keyboard Company, one of the few companies that invest in mechanical keyboards in Europe, Without them we would still ordering from Korea or US
  • Vortex is one of the most important realities, they brought the miniature keyboards to the public and keep investing in interesting projects (like double-shot PBT).
  • Cherry, without them we wouldn't probably even discussing all this now
  • Topre, for their crazy and wonderful switch design. A potentiometer into a switch? Yeah, why not!
  • Sandy55, for being the "original" vintage keyboard and switch freak in the noughties
  • OTD, for being the original vintage keyboard/keycaps/custom keyboard forum
  • Leeku for his contributions in custom PCB designs

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

27 Nov 2015, 22:54

The duck for hatching the egg that became deskthority.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Nov 2015, 22:56

guk wrote: The duck for hatching the egg that became deskthority.
OK very good point but what about 002?

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 22:57

Duck disqualified. You cannot nominate deskthority, or deskthority admins for admin work, or the organiser of this event.

seebart

27 Nov 2015, 23:00

webwit wrote: Duck disqualified. You cannot nominate deskthority, or deskthority admins for admin work, or the organiser of this event.
Yeah webwit is right, that's a little too much like giving the award to yourself I guess.

Halvar

27 Nov 2015, 23:01

I'll nominate Edgar Matias for his outstanding vision and perseverance in continually innovating mechanical keyboards from switch to form factor for those of us who are typers not gamers.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/15/0 ... wers-video

EDIT: link added and typos
Last edited by Halvar on 27 Nov 2015, 23:09, edited 3 times in total.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

27 Nov 2015, 23:02

Ok, sixty for sharing his immense knowledge and finds and for the hope that he returns.

It's a vote Seebart, and Dutchies are fair sportsmen (except Frank Rijkaard).

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 23:30

But... Rudi has a very spittable face. :twisted:

seebart

27 Nov 2015, 23:41

He's also got quite a temper himself. I'm sure you all know this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xIECkaMVA

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Nov 2015, 23:49

Not bad, but not as good as Trap's rant.

seebart

27 Nov 2015, 23:53

Oh yeah I know, his german in that is brilliant.

Compgeke

28 Nov 2015, 01:08

I'd nominate HaaTa for the many many pictures of vintage keyboards\switches, maybe we'd never even know existed if it weren't for him. The bay area meetups are nice too :).

bhtooefr

28 Nov 2015, 01:16

As much as I disagree with how he ran Geekhack... I'm going to nominate iMav, for organizing the English-language keyboard community for the first time, with Geekhack.

Before he started Geekhack and brought attention to it, English-language keyboard discussion was mainly scattered across various blogs and non-keyboard-specific forums, and a lot of misinformation around the web. As a direct result of his initial efforts, there's now multiple communities, and a lot is being discovered that had previously been lost to time. And, I'd argue that an entire industry has formed around the existence of such communities. Without iMav, we likely wouldn't have had the mechanical keyboard renaissance that we had.

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2015, 01:23

True. I've never interacted with him myself, or seen the fallout, but it sure is a nice community over all. You know, if you stick to DT!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Nov 2015, 02:47

I'll give matt3o a nomination for everything he's been up to, though maybe this would fit better in a different category.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Nov 2015, 18:27

ohmygod! Hasu of course. Because he is a fucking superhero!

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Nov 2015, 22:08

Soarer too ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Nov 2015, 12:56

I will nominate Daniel Beardsmore for his momentous work on the wiki. He wouldn't accept the trophy if he was here and would win, but that doesn't stop me!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

29 Nov 2015, 15:58

I would like to nominate Ivan for his deep knowledge and for his group buys, even if he disappeared lastly, elecplus for all the nice keyboards, and photekq for its Cherry collection and passion.

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2015, 17:50

Just for clarification's sake, if Webwit isn't eligible for a DTA but 002 is, where does that leave me? I already know I'm out of all the voter prizes. Believe me, I asked!

Anyway, rules lawyering aside, I think Webwit deserves this one. In honest truth, quite besides the rules he's set up to disqualify himself. Collaborating with him behind the scenes on running DT makes it abundantly clear to me just how much this forum is his work of love. Even he shows it in a strange way at times…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Nov 2015, 18:09

I like how webwit left hasu's nomination intact :)

bhtooefr

29 Nov 2015, 18:23

I'd argue that if webwit is disqualified for admin work and for being the organizer of the event (which, while absolutely deserving of an award, is not something that the Deskthority Awards can fairly grant, IMO)... 002's nomination appears to be in the context of admin work as well (however, seebart didn't give much of a motivation for the nomination), and therefore would make him ineligible, unfortunately.

However, an admin can be nominated for non-admin work, apparently... how about 7bit, for his years of wrangling cats administering group buys?

SL89

29 Nov 2015, 18:26

Has anyone recommended 7bit?

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2015, 18:27

Better submit your query to the bot.

zts

30 Nov 2015, 00:17

7bit

30 Nov 2015, 10:18

guk wrote: The duck for hatching the egg that became deskthority.
+=1

I nominate webwit for making this happen!
:ugeek: Image

seebart

30 Nov 2015, 16:11

I nominate 002 for his Realforce Euro Tour project effort in giving us the chance to try Topre RF for free.

SL89

30 Nov 2015, 16:41

Muirium wrote: Better submit your query to the bot.
Either way, I'd want to nominate 7bit for his herculean groupbuys, running his parts store here on the forum directly and for his various keyboard projects beyond just keycaps.

I'd also like to nominate Ripster. /r/MechanicalKeyboards was my first inkling of this scene and ended up leading me to GH and DT. I am not the only person who has followed this path either. Also beyond his usual proselytizing of mechanical keyboards he also runs the highest traffic community of the three /r/MK has been the gateway, the schoolhouse and the containment board for a lot of people, even spawning its own /r/mechmarket and /r/keycapdesigners subs. if iMav is to be considered then Ripster should be as well.

scottc

30 Nov 2015, 17:05

Oh Jesus, just wait until Ripster catches wind of this.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Nov 2015, 17:07

I'll add ripster, but to avoid endless gaming from reddit once they hear about it, I hereby add the condition to this category that votes in the next rounds will be monitored, and if it includes considerable amounts of new members voting for aforementioned person, only votes from members registered before now will be included in this category.

Return to “Call for nominees”