IBM Space Saving Keyboard
13%
Regular IBM Model M
14%

Total votes: 86

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2015, 01:59

Please vote for your winner of the Best vintage keyboard 2015.

By voting in this category you can win a Hyper PCB collection with around 100 switches, a Teensy controller, plus more from 7bit!

This is the final round. See the first round and second round for reference.

The final round ends on Monday 14 December, 20:00hrs UTC. You can change your vote until the end of the round. The winner and full results will be released soon after the vote closes. EDIT: The winner has been announced here.

The official nominees are, as presented by Muirium:

Cherry MX 5000
Cherry's answer to the Matias Ergo Pro, 20 years before it came out! The G80-5000 ErgoPlus is considered by many to be the finest board Cherry ever made. Highly sought after, of course, their ergonomics delight some lucky users to this day.

The vintage MX browns aren't half bad either.

Dolch keyboard
Dolch means one thing in the keyboard world. Not network analysers. But their timeless, greyscale keyboards! The Dolch look is a true classic. Emulated many times in caps group buys since, the real deal remains a favourite among classic doubleshots.

Hi, could you just ship me the caps plz? Thx, bai!

IBM 4704 series
So rare, and so desired, that a remake is well underway, the Kishsaver is a legend in its own right. Unavailable in 3 whole sizes of heavy metal awe, the Kish is a star and thanks to Xwhatsit it is perfectly usable today.

Big blue's littlest heavy duty beast.

IBM Space Saving Keyboard
Another IBM, and another strong contender for the greatest keyboard of all time. The Model M Space Saving Keyboard commands respect, and sky high prices to this day. Tenkeyless twenty years before the name, the SSK is a permanent favourite for many of us.

Best served new in box.

Regular IBM Model M
And if the SSK isn't enough for you — numbercruncher that you surely are — there's always its fullsize brother. Most people chose this one over the little SSK back when IBM sold both versions for the same price. Because, um, bulk discount?

Sometimes more is more.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2015, 11:14

I know Muirium is nott a fan of Cherry and Cherry switches,
but woulnd't it have been fair to
i) post, like for all other candidates, a photo showing not just a detail of the keyboard and
ii) refrain from posting a half negative comment under the photo?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Dec 2015, 11:15

kbdfr wrote: I know Muirium is nott a fan of Cherry and Cherry switches,
i) post, like for all other candidates, a photo showing not just a detail of the keyboard and
That's a fair point. This is a competition after all.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

09 Dec 2015, 11:19

kbdfr wrote: I know Muirium is nott a fan of Cherry and Cherry switches,
Don't mind the comment, but had the same thought about the photo before I even read your comment.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2015, 11:24

This is why I plan to require DTA blurbs starting next year to be written by those who made the nomination. Me and Webwit wind up doing all the work for you, and naturally (in my case certainly) you can tell my preferences even when I'm trying to be neutral. Also a reason why I'm a shitty wiki writer: everything that comes out my keyboard is NNPOV.

Webwit did by far most of the nomination writeups this year and deserves a lot of thanks. But yes, you spotted mine.

Pick your own damn picture and write it up yourselves!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

09 Dec 2015, 11:28

Blaze it.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2015, 11:52

Got the owner's permission?

And what about the text you geezers are griping about. Where's your replacement?

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

09 Dec 2015, 11:54

Me, no. But it was posted here before, and owner is probably too stoned to care. And I didn't complain about your text! :P

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2015, 12:28

Apparently, after I was when I read the entries, it is now Muirium's turn to be pissed off :lol:

Muirium, I already told you how boring it is that you constantly express how much you dislike Cherry.
Anyway, this being a contest, entries should be treated equal.

On the other hand, you are quite right when noting that webwit and you had a lot of work with the "DTA blurbs".
It is indeed easier to criticise others than help them.

Peace? Image

7bit

09 Dec 2015, 18:50

I swapped out the G80-5000 photos against one from the Wiki.
:roll:

I can't believe nobody ever bothered to upload a Dolch photo ...
:cry:

edit:
Found the G80-1813 entry and added a link from the Dolch article.
:roll:

edit2:
improved the G80-1800 wiki article.
:cool:

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Dec 2015, 19:25

Feel free to use this old one, you have my permission :mrgreen: :

EDIT: nevermind, 7bit already found a pic

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

09 Dec 2015, 19:43

In the nominations I have posted my Dolch, sure it wasn't the best photo, but it was there for grabs :)

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2015, 19:53

I greatly prefer these later pictures. But I'm not entirely convinced I can edit the OP without resetting the vote all back to zero again. A slip-up like that would make a certain chocolate's face melt…

7bit

09 Dec 2015, 20:43

You can't, but I've got special permissions that allow me to edit any voting without notice by anybody.
:evilgeek:

chzel

09 Dec 2015, 23:39

7bit wrote: You can't, but I've got special permissions that allow me to edit any voting without notice by anybody.
MUCH POWER, SUCH WOW!

seebart

09 Dec 2015, 23:46

chzel wrote:
7bit wrote: You can't, but I've got special permissions that allow me to edit any voting without notice by anybody.
MUCH POWER, SUCH WOW!
Better not be true. :o Or I'll call grumpy chocolate on this plan. :evilgeek: Then we'll see how that goes. :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2015, 23:49

It's all true.

I think I have that power too, but I'm too unsure of myself to know just when to use it.

seebart

09 Dec 2015, 23:52

The only thing true is 7bit's madness, specifically when organizing some DT event and employing his 7bot permutations.

7bit

10 Dec 2015, 01:46

Next year, you will have to send commands like these to the bot:
DTA6/BVK2016/4704
:shock:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Dec 2015, 04:50

I thought next year we would need to vote by submitting a cycle notation entry to manually rearrange the candidates, and hope it gets applied at the right time.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

10 Dec 2015, 06:44

7bit wrote: Next year, you will have to send commands like these to the bot:
DTA6/BVK2016/4704
:shock:
Don't forget the (t)rolling deadline, we get to wote till 2020 :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Dec 2015, 21:25

The vote closes on Monday 14 December at 20:00 UTC. Vote now!

The two nominees with currently the most votes are (in alphabetical order):
Spoiler:
Cherry MX 5000
IBM 4704 series

Return to “Final vote”