Best relic or discovery 2015

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

14 Dec 2015, 21:44

The nominees in the category Best relic or discovery 2015 are:

Ettasian's G80-0081 / Berthold ADS 3000 keyboard • Oh man, this keyboard is a battleship! One of the oldest keyboards by Cherry, produced for a company called Berthold. What a great find!

HaaTa's find of Cherry 01APBSW switches • Is it the original Cherry keyboard switch? Not designed by Walter Cherry Jr. but the design is likely derived from a similar earlier switch.

HaaTa's HP 15254A Keypad • The HP 15254A Keyboard is a fantastically over engineered HP specimen from the Seventies. Just look at that thing!

Photekq's Cherry G81-3011SBU - The Ultimate Olivetti • His favourite single find to date, an Olivetti keyboard with original Cherry dyesubs in ANSI layout. Genuine Cherry dyesubs, the first of its kind he has seen.

Scottc's 10x NIB Cherry G81-3000SATs • Scottc found 10 NIB Cherry G81-3000SAT keyboards with dye-sublimated Czech-layout PBT keycaps, which make up about the vast majority of the G81-3000SATs in the hands of collectors today.

And the Wingnut for Best relic or discovery 2015, as voted for by the members of deskthority, goes to...
Spoiler:

Is it the original Cherry keyboard switch? Not designed by Walter Cherry Jr. but the design is likely derived from a similar earlier switch.

Behold, snap-action (clicky) keyboard switches from 1959!

7bit

14 Dec 2015, 21:47

HaaTa, you rock!
:ugeek:

Only: One day, we must explain to you how to use the wiki.
;-)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

14 Dec 2015, 22:26

Woooo. :D

Competition was stiff this year, wasn't quite sure I was going to pull through.

To celebrate, I plan to keep on posting a new keyboard everyday until Christmas :mrgreen:

Then, possibly resume after I get back from CES on the Jan 10th.
7bit wrote: Only: One day, we must explain to you how to use the wiki.
;-)
Someday, when I run out of keyboards to collect 8-)
Each year I predict the next one wont have a big find like the last one...and so far I've proven myself wrong every year. Though it is getting harder to find interesting things that I don't already have.

But, this year made me really happy. I saw fairly regular *interesting* keyboards being posted (even though I'll admit, I didn't post much this year till the DTA). I'm not out there to acquire all the keyboards (switches yes :lol: ), I just want these keyboards preserved and properly documented before being e-wasted out of existence :cry

Thanks all!

Chyros

15 Dec 2015, 01:34

These switches are amazing, I couldn't stop staring when I first saw them. Congrats on the win! :)

vsev

15 Dec 2015, 10:40

Congrats Haata, marvelous discoveries as always !
7bit wrote: Only: One day, we must explain to you how to use the wiki.
;-)
May some elite wiki contributors will dive deep onto this task one day, really hope so too !

E3E

15 Dec 2015, 11:37

I can't even wrap my mind around how those truly vintage--no, CLASSIC Cherry switches work. They remind me of old telegraph machines!

Either way, congrats HaaTa. You truly are one of the biggest collectors around and delve into territory only some dare to wonder about. :P

ettasian

15 Dec 2015, 21:56

It was a really cool experience to race against HaaTa in his category. Congratulations to him, and thanks 7bit for nominating that old Berthold :)

E3E

15 Dec 2015, 22:17

ettasian wrote: It was a really cool experience to race against HaaTa in his category. Congratulations to him, and thanks 7bit for nominating that old Berthold :)
Your board was insane! It blew me away to see that when you posted it it! What a monster! :shock:

ettasian

15 Dec 2015, 22:23

E3E wrote:
ettasian wrote: It was a really cool experience to race against HaaTa in his category. Congratulations to him, and thanks 7bit for nominating that old Berthold :)
Your board was insane! It blew me away to see that when you posted it it! What a monster! :shock:
It was a pain in the rear to ship it though :lol: and now I got to send it to Germany. We could do "The heaviest keyboard competition" someday. I wonder if HaaTa's got a sole keyboard weighting more than 12kg :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Dec 2015, 22:24

E3E wrote:
Yeah I also voted for your board ettasian, but basically no one can compete with HaaTa in this category. We should be happy he's here sharing his insane never ending collection.

ettasian

15 Dec 2015, 22:29

seebart wrote:
E3E wrote:
Yeah I also voted for your board ettasian, but basically no one can compete with HaaTa in this category. We should be happy he's here sharing his insane never ending collection.
Yes, we should all be grateful to his work. Posting a new board everyday is insane, really good job there!
Thanks for your vote I guess :) It was great to truly contribute something here, hope I'll find something again someday :lol:

E3E

16 Dec 2015, 01:45

ettasian wrote: Yes, we should all be grateful to his work. Posting a new board everyday is insane, really good job there!
Thanks for your vote I guess :) It was great to truly contribute something here, hope I'll find something again someday :lol:
For a low volume collector (assuming you are, haha. I definitely am! Very low. xD), I'd say your find is stellar. A really incredible find with tons of historic value! I'd be super happy as a Cherry fan if I found that board. :D

ettasian

16 Dec 2015, 10:57

E3E wrote:
ettasian wrote: Yes, we should all be grateful to his work. Posting a new board everyday is insane, really good job there!
For a low volume collector (assuming you are, haha. I definitely am! Very low. xD), I'd say your find is stellar. A really incredible find with tons of historic value! I'd be super happy as a Cherry fan if I found that board. :D
Yup,definitely low volume collector. But I've got some boards I can be proud of :)
I propably won't get close to that kind of discovery again, I'm no HaaTa to get a new board to post everyday, but i had my 5 minutes of attention :lol:

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

18 Dec 2015, 05:49

Hmm, 12kg keyboard...

*rummages*

Actually, I don't think I have anything quite that heavy!
(excluding typewriters and luggables, because that's cheating)

This beast, which is "just" a keyboard (with a couple replacement gears I could convert it with a teensy). Is about 9 kg.

ImageTeletype Model 28 KSR Keyboard

It would definitely be heavy enough with the printing mechanism though, :lol:

Return to “Results”