Welcome to the Deskthority Awards 2016!

Kurplop

07 Dec 2016, 13:47

scottc wrote: I've been here for quite a while and the only page I look at is the Spy: spy.php
Kurplop wrote:
seebart wrote: Good to know Kurplop. It's "DT" not "DA" BTW.
Sorry. Thanks for the correction. Mistakes come with waking up at 2:30 in the morning. :D
I have an honest question. Berserkfan used to call DT "DeskAuthority" and DA a LOT too. I just thought he was being an obvious troll. Do people on GH just happen to mistake the name a lot?!
Here's an honest answer, though I am only one opinion. I knew it was Deskthority, although I wondered why it didn't have an "a" in it from the first time I read it. My mistake was probably a combination of sleep deprivation and confusing it with the Deskthority Awards.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2016, 13:49

Repeating my previous post so you don't have to turn the page :lol:
kbdfr wrote: Once again, I'm not opposed at all to opening the community,
but I hold it that the very concrete prospect of winning valuable prizes (there are numerous prizes and just a few hundred candidates, after all) attracted a lot of people only interested in precisely that, thus overshooting the target by far.
(Honestly, if /r/MK was doing the same with such attractive prizes, even I would probably register there in order to vote, despite the fact I can hardly read there because of the posting structure :lol: )

The ridiculous result might be a former DT member banned for good reasons winning an award called "The Deskthority".

Be prepared for more grumpy chocolate bar posts if this does happen :mrgreen:

Kurplop

07 Dec 2016, 13:59

Kurplop wrote: It's human nature to want to be heard. To have their opinions voiced and recorded; even if anonymously.
kbdfr wrote: Repeating my previous post so you don't have to turn the page :lol:
Thanks for proving my point. :)

Halvar

07 Dec 2016, 14:35

@kbdfr: what do you suggest the DTA team should do at this point?

My suggestion would be: if he wins, be consequent and embrace it, give him the award for his merits on building and maintaining the subreddit and its "wiki" in the years after the ban, lift his ban on DT, and see where this gets us and if he is in fact a constructive member of the keyboard community now like his voters seem to think he is. If DT needs to ban him again soon after that, then it's probably his fault, and so be it, but I'm optimistic enough to think this won't be the case.

scottc

07 Dec 2016, 14:46

I don't think winning the Deskthority award is sufficient justification to lift a ban alone. I'm not saying it shouldn't be considered, I'm just saying that we shouldn't link it to whether he wins or loses the award.

Khers

07 Dec 2016, 14:49

On the one hand I think linking the award with a lift of the ban is a bad idea. But on the other I think awarding a banned member is at least as bad. So, counterintuitive as it may sound given my previous posts on the matter, I'd vote in favor of lifting ripsters ban iff he wins the award.

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Dec 2016, 14:59

Khers wrote: On the one hand I think linking the award with a lift of the ban is a bad idea. But on the other I think awarding a banned member is at least as bad. So, counterintuitive as it may sound given my previous posts on the matter, I'd vote in favor of lifting ripsters ban iff he wins the award.
It is an impossibly ridiculous conundrum but completely real at the same time.

Approximately like saying that all of Donald Trump's lawsuits and conflicts-of-interest should be dropped and ignored after he was elected president.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2016, 15:26

Halvar wrote: @kbdfr: what do you suggest the DTA team should do at this point?

My suggestion would be: if he wins, be consequent and embrace it, give him the award for his merits on building and maintaining the subreddit and its "wiki" in the years after the ban, lift his ban on DT, and see where this gets us and if he is in fact a constructive member of the keyboard community now like his voters seem to think he is. If DT needs to ban him again soon after that, then it's probably his fault, and so be it, but I'm optimistic enough to think this won't be the case.
I never denied his merits, and if he wins (which I will probably have contributed to by discussing it at all :mrgreen: ), he wins.
Lifting his ban is something I (and most certainly not only I :lol: ) had not considered before
scottc wrote: I don't think winning the Deskthority award is sufficient justification to lift a ban alone. I'm not saying it shouldn't be considered, I'm just saying that we shouldn't link it to whether he wins or loses the award.
Here again I agree.
That's something we could discuss after the DTAs are over, whatever the result.
But this time I would suggest discussing it before we even consider putting it to a vote :lol:
Khers wrote: On the one hand I think linking the award with a lift of the ban is a bad idea. But on the other I think awarding a banned member is at least as bad. So, counterintuitive as it may sound given my previous posts on the matter, I'd vote in favor of lifting ripsters ban iff he wins the award.
Oh, no! Such an announcement alone would certainly make him win given the "open access" to the vote :lol:

Halvar

07 Dec 2016, 15:30

There's no reason to announce anything beforehand.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 01:11

Just a suggestion, but perhaps it would be a good idea to sticky the current round at the top, as some of the less commented final round threads fall down the page.

Nevermind, I just noticed the tabs at the top of the page.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Dec 2016, 17:12

Don't forget to vote!

Hydra04

10 Dec 2016, 19:03

Does the voting end at 00:00 GMT?

Khers

10 Dec 2016, 19:06

Hydra04 wrote: Does the voting end at 00:00 GMT?
20:00 UTC is stated in the first post

Hydra04

10 Dec 2016, 19:19

Khers wrote:
Hydra04 wrote: Does the voting end at 00:00 GMT?
20:00 UTC is stated in the first post
brb, I'm going to have my eyes checked :?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Dec 2016, 20:54

Can't wait to see the winners!

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Dec 2016, 22:56

I've messaged all Wingnut winners, runner ups, and sponsor prize winners.

If you think I missed you, please contact me so I can resolve the issue.

Return to “DTA news”