The Deskthority

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2016, 01:08

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win a WhiteFox keyboard and GMK Carbon keycap set from Massdrop!

Nomination rules:
Use this topic to suggest nominees for The Deskthority 2016. This is the main award and "super category," so anything goes. You can suggest a keyboard, company, keycap set, person, etc. It can be something or someone already nominated in another category as well. In fact, please post strong candidates from other categories. What has been extra special since Thursday 3 December, 2015? Who earns the Golden Wingnut? You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself.

Current suggestions:
  • The Model MF team - lot_lizard, idollar and wcass (along with Saurer and Tom Wong and input from many others) -- for their tireless work on the mind-blowing Model MF drop-in kit.
  • Snuci -- for his excellent image dump contribution to the Deskthority Wiki.
  • Daniel Beardsmore -- for his never-ending work on the Wiki. I know he won't accept any reward, but he at least deserves the recognition.
  • Chyros for his very informative and interesting youtube videos covering a range of key switches, but most importantly because of that majestic voice of his!
  • SkullyDazed - for running some of the best, most organized drops. Hard to believe its a single person shop!
  • Evan from TheVan Keyboards: for kickstarting my keyboard journey and being such a kind and helpful community member! And also, for attempting to make a modern ALPS keyset and handling the group buy like a champ.
  • XMIT for bringing back an entire switch type.
  • Originative. The TADA68 was a great addition on top of more great GMK sets, and EnjoyPBT dyesubs.
  • Jchan - for running very complicated successful GBs / amazing customer service.
  • Jesse Vincent (aka obra) and Kaia Dekker of Keyboardio for running one of the most transparent crowdfunding campaigns.
  • DreymaR for maintaining The Big Bag of Tricks (USB, Linux, Windows) mostly for Colemak, but it can serve as inspiration to any keyboard user.
  • LeandreN, for his great service for the keyboard building community - I'm thinking at his past and present GB rounds (plates, Nerd60 PCBs and stabilizers), here and at GH.
  • White fox staff- for the incredible keyboard.
  • GMK electronic design GmbH for stepping towards community. They offer now more community friendly prices, custom colors and legends. With time we will see more community specific products which is a good thing.
  • Apolotary because he is doing a lot for the entire community: events (first Tokyo meetup), artisans, proxy services, KB reviews, podcasts, keycaps ICs and so on! He also includes free sweets in every package sent from Japan.
  • The Top Clack team. I really enjoy their streams.
  • Ripster55 for continuing to spread his knowledge on reddit and general shitposting.
The first round ends on Saturday 26 November, 23:59:59 UTC.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Nov 2016, 01:34

I would like to nominate:
  • lot_lizard -- for his tireless work on the mind-blowing Model MF drop-in kit.
  • Snuci -- for his excellent image dump contribution to the Deskthority Wiki
  • Daniel Beardsmore -- for his never-ending work on the Wiki. I know he won't accept any reward, but he at least deserves the recognition.

rozakiin

20 Nov 2016, 02:16

I would like to nominate Chyros for his very informative and interesting youtube videos covering a range of key switches, but most importantly because of that majestic voice of his!

chuckdee

20 Nov 2016, 02:38

matt3o - for all that he's done for the community and getting new ideas out there.
Yanbo Wu - for all that he's done on MD to make MK an integral part of MD, and create a safe space to enter drops.
SkullyDazed - for running some of the best, most organized drops. Hard to believe its a single person shop!

PollandAkuma

20 Nov 2016, 02:40

Evan from TheVan Keyboards: for kickstarting my keyboard journey and being such a kind and helpful community member! And also, for attempting to make a modern ALPS keyset and handling the group buy like a champ. You earned our/my respect definitely!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Nov 2016, 02:52

It seems a little odd to nominate Yanbo for an award sponsored by Massdrop - what does that even mean? But he's been a critical part of getting XMIT Keyboards on Massdrop so deserves an honorable mention.

I'll nominate matt3o and lot_lizard for their contributions this year.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2016, 03:00

Removed Yanbo from the list, because Massdrop happens to sponsor this Award.

Hking0036

20 Nov 2016, 03:44

matt3o - for all that he's done for the community and getting new ideas out there.
I'm going to nominate XMIT for bringing back an entire switch type.

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Nov 2016, 03:53

matt3o, lot_lizard. No doubt.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

20 Nov 2016, 04:47

matt3o and lot_lizard

Ail

20 Nov 2016, 08:02

I'm going to throw Originative into the mix. The TADA68 was a great addition on top of more great GMK sets, and EnjoyPBT dyesubs.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Nov 2016, 09:03

I will have to second 002 and nominate Daniel Beardsmore for his never-ending work on the Wiki.

I know most of you do not actually see the amount of work this guy puts in...

w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions ... namespace=
Spoiler:
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (112.19 KiB) Viewed 95924 times

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Nov 2016, 09:08

Seebart, I assumed a single nomination is enough. If not, I would have also seconded Daniel Beardsmore immediately.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 09:10

I have several nominees, not sure if eligible though.

In alphabetical order:
- seebart, for all his witty and friendly comments everywhere - even if they seem to be continuously edited,
- webwit, for all the work he has been and still is putting into DT (hoping he will excuse me if this is excessively ad hominem)
- Wodan, especially for his GB which has been a real masterpiece - and I don't mean just the caps.

seebart

20 Nov 2016, 09:11

snuci wrote: Seebart, I assumed a single nomination is enough. If not, I would have also seconded Daniel Beardsmore immediately.
Not sure really, I just felt the need to do so. Delete my post if called for ohaimark!

NolaSwag

20 Nov 2016, 09:56

Jchan - for running very complicated successful GBs / amazing customer service

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 10:11

NolaSwag wrote: Jchan - for running very complicated successful GBs / amazing customer service
There seems to be no DT member with this name.

seebart

20 Nov 2016, 10:14

kbdfr wrote:
NolaSwag wrote: Jchan - for running very complicated successful GBs / amazing customer service
There seems to be no DT member with this name.
True, ohaimark or webwit to the rescue please. :o

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 10:25

I think I found him (after searching GH :lol: ),
it's jchan94.
DT post count: 1 :mrgreen:

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2016, 12:14

Note that the nominee doesn't have to be on Deskthority.
kbdfr wrote: I have several nominees, not sure if eligible though.

In alphabetical order:
- seebart, for all his witty and friendly comments everywhere - even if they seem to be continuously edited,
- webwit, for all the work he has been and still is putting into DT (hoping he will excuse me if this is excessively ad hominem)
- Wodan, especially for his GB which has been a real masterpiece - and I don't mean just the caps.
All disqualified. :twisted:
Members of the DTA team are not eligible.

Rimrul

20 Nov 2016, 12:29

Matt3o also isn't eligible. Especially not twice with the same nomination reason.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Nov 2016, 13:07

not to mention forum and wiki master

92u

20 Nov 2016, 15:36

I nominate myself Takeawayisnicem8 (on reddit) becus

idunno memes i guess

Rimrul

20 Nov 2016, 15:42

webwit wrote: Nomination rules:
[...]
You cannot nominate yourself.

92u

20 Nov 2016, 16:09

fuk

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 16:27

Completely off-topic:
Spoiler:
92u wrote: […] becus
idunno memes i guess
92u wrote: fuk
Happy to (again) contribute the following older humorous text which was not meant to, but indeed does deal with infantile writing:
The European Commission have just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would be known as "EuroEnglish":

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"'s in the language is disgrasful, and they should go away. By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaiining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!

davkol

20 Nov 2016, 16:33

I would like to nominate Jesse Vincent (aka obra) and Kaia Dekker of Keyboardio for running one of the most transparent crowdfunding campaigns.

This is a long call, but I believe DreymaR also deserves a nomination for maintaining The Big Bag of Tricks (USB, Linux, Windows) mostly for Colemak, but it can serve as inspiration to any keyboard user.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Nov 2016, 17:09

Another vote for lot_lizard here.

92u

20 Nov 2016, 17:25

Hey kbdfr could u nominat me for dem memes?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 17:40

92u wrote: Hey kbdfr could u nominat me for dem memes?
Please pardon me, sir, for not being able to comply with your request :mrgreen:

Return to “Call for nominees”