Best artisan keycap

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 01:08

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win an MX-Board 3.0 from Cherry!

Nomination rules:
Welcome to Deskthority's newest category. Artisan caps have exploded in the keyboarding community. It's time to recognize the immense time and talent invested in them. All Deskthority members will be standing by with popcorn and firehoses in case things get heated. Frankly, we're looking forward to intense competition! :evilgeek:

Please suggest nominees for the best artisan keycap or novelty set produced after Thursday 3 December, 2015. Please choose specific keycaps, not their creators. You must provide an image and short explanation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself or your keycap(s).

Current suggestions:
  • Clack Factory | Mr. Friday | Herr Freitag
    Spoiler:
  • KeyKollectiv x Booper | Kosmonavt
    Spoiler:
  • Clack Factory | Toxic Roe
    Spoiler:
  • Booper | Keywok
    Spoiler:
  • Brocaps | Reaper
    Spoiler:
  • eat_the_food | Fugu
    Spoiler:
  • Binge/HungerWorkStudio | Otterophile
    Spoiler:
  • Binge/HungerWorkStudio | hungrkey
    Spoiler:
  • Brocaps | Gamer Set
    Spoiler:
  • Brocaps | Murderbot BroBot V2
    Spoiler:
  • Brocaps | Blackjack v1
    Spoiler:
  • Nubbinator | Dolly v2
    Spoiler:
  • Clack Factory | The OG Tri
    Spoiler:
  • majstor | Wood Novelty Set
    Spoiler:
  • kurplop | Planet 6 Set
    Spoiler:
  • Clack Factory | Flux Keypacitor
    Spoiler:
  • Key Kollective | Fruit Reboot
    Spoiler:
  • Suited Up | The Cavalier
    Spoiler:
  • Key Kollective | Bento Blanks
    Spoiler:
  • Brocaps | BBv2.5
    Spoiler:
  • Jelly Key | ?
    Spoiler:
The first round ends on Saturday 26 November, 23:59:59 UTC.
Last edited by ohaimark on 21 Nov 2016, 04:42, edited 12 times in total.

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 01:37

Without doubt - Clack Factory. He produced the best looking keycap that is cursed to drive people mad, lusting for the keys and driving the after market price up the roof.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 01:39

I expect a few Clacks to get nominated. ;) Can you give me some specific ones that you think are above and beyond the rest of his artwork?

xiro7

20 Nov 2016, 01:46

Without doubt - Brocaps. His quality, color consistency, and variety is 2nd to none. He also partnered with Rama to drastically improve the quality of the TMX stem.

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 01:48

ohaimark wrote:I expect a few Clacks to get nominated. ;) Can you give me some specific ones that you think are above and beyond the rest of his artwork?
So we are also referring to his 2016 work, right? There are two that's on my mind. The first being 2016 version of Mr Friday called Herr Freitag. Here's a photo of it. It has a beautiful swirly base, nasty eerie red eyes and a nice avocado colour face.

The other work, also released this year is a key that looked like it was made with fish eggs, a greenish roe that look mesmerising in photo. I don't own this key, I'll hunt for the photo later (typing in mobile now).

Edit: here's a image of it by user iamtootallforthis
The key is called Toxic Roe. Notice the little eggs cramped into the key. It's truly a work of art.
Last edited by Belfong on 20 Nov 2016, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Nov 2016, 01:48

I want to nominate:
Kosmonavt series by KeyKollectiv x Booper-- because they are frigging cool, that's all.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 01:50

We need some specific keycaps and images to work with. I updated the rules to clarify what's going on.

Good job, 002 and Belfong. That's what we're looking for.

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 01:58

Updated my post with a photo of Toxic Roe by iamtootallforthis

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 02:10

One more nomination: Keywok by Booper because it's Star Wars!

Jokrik

20 Nov 2016, 03:05

I actually would love to nominate two of my all time favorite

1. Reaper by Brocaps
Long time artist, master sculptor and master caster. No doubt about this :) It's always a pleasure to take a photo of his caps. The reapers especially is a classic and will never fade. If there are any awards, this veteran is definitely worthy!

2. Fugu by eat_the_food
This guy is just amazing with his caps, the fugu especially is one to never look away. With roughly only a year in this artisan world he raised the benchmark so fast.

Hking0036

20 Nov 2016, 03:15

Otterophile by Binge/HungerWorkStudio is insanely detailed:

:o

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 03:24

What are the bottom ones called?

Hking0036

20 Nov 2016, 03:32

Keythulu is the center, Keyng is the lion one. I was trying to show the otterophile on the right side but it's kinda blurred, sorry.

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 03:36

It's all cool. 8-)

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Nov 2016, 03:49

I nominate binge's hungrkey :

Without a doubt the most innovative artisan key ever made imo.

baotung

20 Nov 2016, 04:59

I'd like to nominate some of the BroCaps that I have in my collection.

I've started to expand my collection a lot more lately, but from pure refinement and fun themes; BroCaps artisans are amazing, especially his gamer sets. Below are a few of the pictures in my collection.

BroCaps Gamer Sets

Murderbot BroBot V2

And my favorite, Blackjack V1.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

20 Nov 2016, 05:37

Nubbinator and his amazing Dolly v2, because he is an awesome guy, really the best and there is no circle jerk around his art, it is just loved by the ones fortunate to have one ;)

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 07:29

DanielT wrote: Nubbinator and his amazing Dolly v2, because he is an awesome guy, really the best and there is no circle jerk around his art, it is just loved by the ones fortunate to have one ;)
Great nomination. Nubbs is truly one of the best person around Geekhack. Great character that all of us should emulate.

Khers

20 Nov 2016, 07:59

As clacks are the only artisans I care about and they seem to be nominated on a per color basis, I'd like to nominate my favorite clack, the OG Tri:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 08:45

I would like to nominate the wooden keys made by majstor:

At least something else than those boring little plastic caps with their skulls, monsters, ghosts, aliens and other "trendy" stuff.
Spoiler:
If I may further comment all this junk thought as "unique" buth where practically anything is an iteration of what already has been done:
Spoiler:
ohaimark wrote: All Deskthority members will be standing by with popcorn and firehoses in case things get heated.
:mrgreen:

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 09:28

kbdfr wrote:I would like to nominate the wooden keys made by majstor:

At least something else than those boring little plastic caps with their skulls, monsters, ghosts, aliens and other "trendy" stuff.
Spoiler:
If I may further comment all this junk thought as "unique" buth where practically anything is an iteration of what already has been done:
Spoiler:
ohaimark wrote: All Deskthority members will be standing by with popcorn and firehoses in case things get heated.
:mrgreen:
Interesting keys and these can also go under Best Keycaps nominations too.

Chyros

20 Nov 2016, 12:54

Can I nominate the wingnut? I really like them :D .

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 14:49

I'll allow the woodies in as a novelty set. I had to consider it for a moment, though.

No, you cannot nominate Wingnuts. We anticipated that and decided against it. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 15:15

There's something I also wanted to nominate here, but I fear it is not eligible in spite of the difference being really tiny.
Spoiler:
Hope there will be a warning before I get banned for trying illegal tricks to prevent others from nominating their preferred artisan stuff :lol:

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 15:19

We're trying to stay focused on input devices. ;) Suggest whatever you like with the realization that I might say "nope."

davkol

20 Nov 2016, 16:18

I'm not sure, if this qualifies for this category, but kurplop's been working on a new fully custom ergonomic keyboard, this time called Planet 6. It includes custom-made metal keycaps, that are not only pretty cool, but functional as well.

Binge

20 Nov 2016, 18:06

I saw the Hungrkey was nominated. To folks who want to see the animated 360, http://i.imgur.com/ft4phZF.gifv

I would like to nominate ClackFactory's flux keypacitor which used encapsulated tritium vials to create a glowing effect - http://i.imgur.com/pCanQNV.gif

I would also like to nominate Key Kollective's Fruit Reboot which are multi-shot encapsulated seeds and colorways meant to mimic fruits you may know and love-

OutragedPudding

20 Nov 2016, 18:35

I would like to nominate KeyKollectiv's Fruit Reboot collection, more specifically the watermelon artisan! They're great for their simplistic shape and very clean details. The colours are always nice, too

DrOpBoX

20 Nov 2016, 19:44

Reaper, my preferite! :D the green and the blue is amazing! Really want both :D

GreyAmbience

20 Nov 2016, 20:01

Besides the already nominated Hungrkey by Binge, I really think Suited Up deserves a spot!

He is a fantastic sculptor and has made some instant classic designs that looks amazing with any keyset.
They carry the beautiful aesthetics of handcrafted keycaps in a fantastic manner. The designs are very original and are made in a way to promote many different colorways.

Some of my favorites:

The Cavalier

Hugo

Snapper

Keybuto

At the moment the Snapper seems very popular and it must have been hell to sculpt, but I my personal favorite is the Cavalier. It doesn't get more majestic than that.

It's so hard to pick one design but I would like to nominate the Suited Up Cavalier

Return to “Call for nominees”