Best project or innovation

chuckdee

25 Nov 2016, 15:13

SkullyDazed for his beautiful Clueboard CNC'd case. It's beautiful, with very pleasing lines, and that built in plate- I can't imagine what it's going to be like to type on!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/clueboard- ... guest_open

Last edited by chuckdee on 25 Nov 2016, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Nov 2016, 15:16

Aaw posting that just hours after the drop closed is mean ;)

Same happened to me with norbauers CNC drop in alu case...

chuckdee

25 Nov 2016, 16:37

Yeah... sorry about that. Didn't even think about posting it until now. Been going through an agonizing 18 hours of my inner child and my rational adult having a rather heated discussion about getting it, and thus doing a lot of research on it. It's really quite amazing. Just too expensive to get around the holidays. But hopefully I'll be able to score one when they come in, even if more expensive. Already submitted a waiting list request :)

Phenix
-p

25 Nov 2016, 17:03

I agree to the already nominated projects!
Each on its own is awesome.

furthermore I want to nominate trebb for the ISO50, an small board for ISOans

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Nov 2016, 17:42

Techno Trousers wrote: Definitely need to second the nomination of the Model MF for project of the year, and lot_lizard as project manager of the year. He's been going at this one tirelessly for most of 2016, and come up with innovations even IBM in their heyday would have taken note of.
I concur completely with this.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Nov 2016, 17:45

Some people might not be aware at all times that lot_lizard only joined DT in Feb of 2016. He basically signed up and started rocking this place like he owns it.

Hypersphere

25 Nov 2016, 18:07

There are many deserving projects, but the one that rises to the top of my list is lot_lizard's on "(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M". However, we should not forget idollar's FSSK/FEXT project as well as the many contributions made by others on the MF project.

Back in November 2014, I started a thread called "Feasibility Check: Convert SSK to Model F Switches?" Several people chimed in indicating that it might be possible but citing the many difficulties that would have to be overcome.

workshop-f7/feasibility-check-convert-s ... ml#p292490

Undaunted, idollar produced the FSSK and FEXT:

workshop-f7/f-ssk-t10744.html

And lot_lizard brought the MF project to fruition:

workshop-f7/remodeling-the-model-m-t13796.html

As lot_lizard pointed out, there were many contributors to the success of this project, including wcass, phosphorglow, Techo Trousers, and i$. Perhaps we could make the award to the group, sort of like the Nobel Prize! If not, then the nomination should go to lot_lizard for spearheading the overall effort.

Halvar

26 Nov 2016, 17:04

I'd like to nominate the "Freewrite" mechanical keyboard-based writing machine. It's a writing tool for typewriter nostalgics so reduced that it doesn't even need cursor keys. Backspace is more than Hemingway had, so it should be enough for any writer! Together with a PostIt-sized ePaper display of course.

Last edited by Halvar on 26 Nov 2016, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

chuckdee

26 Nov 2016, 17:19

Have you used it? I've been curious, but the combination of the price, and the angle of the screen put me off of it.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

26 Nov 2016, 20:16

davkol wrote: I'd like to nominate Silicone Gel keycaps (link to Massdrop sale and review on YouTube). It seems like an interesting and rather unexpected innovation, that came out of nowhere (or rather China, probably). Not only the caps can be bent, they also absorb keystroke impacts pretty well.
They can also immediately make a brilliant keyboard feel like garbage :lol: :lol:

bhtooefr

26 Nov 2016, 23:54

Crossposting someone else's nomination from another thread, because it fits here too:
davkol wrote: This reminds me, that I'd like to nominate…

Planet 6 by kurplop. The first post is from autumn 2015, but it's just been finished.

Planet 6 is a custom ergonomic keyboard with an embedded trackball, and an amazing piece of craftsmanship—from home-made PCBs to machine-milled metal case and keycaps.

My own motivation would be... holy shit that thing is weird and beautiful.

Return to “Call for nominees”