Best relic or discovery

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Nov 2016, 01:08

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win a MasterMouse and professional mouse mat from Cooler Master!

Nomination rules:
Welcome to the Queen of all categories, the award every DT user was waiting for: Best Relic or Discovery 2016. Our fearless relic hunters went around the globe scavenging junk yards and forgotten ebay auctions in search for the most precious and rare keyboards. Now it's your turn to declare the bravest of them all!

Use this category to suggest the best relic or discovery since Thursday 3 December, 2015. No special rules apply; provide a short motivation for your nomination. You can suggest your own relics and discoveries.

Current suggestions:
  • Mattr567 for the ultra rare Striped Amber SKCL from Tandem keyboards
  • photekq for the new condition Cherry G81-3100SAV
  • emdude for three IBM 3277
  • HaaTa for the Rafi Express 2
  • HaaTa for the Topre 39-AA-0101
  • Hammelgammler for the "Beamfoot"
  • HaaTa for the Epson InterKX
  • snuci for the Bendix keyboard from NASA
  • FlipTheSwitch for the DIY Hall Effect keyboard
  • Snuci for the Canon Cat
  • Snuci for the MacCharlie
  • vsev for the Azerty Beamspring
  • haata for the Bezkont Klávesnice 262.3
  • haata for the RTA-80 Teletype Keyboard
  • haata for the Teletype 50k 227 AAH
The first round ends on Saturday 26 November, 23:59:59 UTC.

PollandAkuma

20 Nov 2016, 03:07

Recently discovered that E3E and Mattr567 discovered Striped Amber SKCLs from Tandem keyboards. They are so rare that they've never been documented before. The only examples of them are in those two's hands... :twisted:

photekq
Cherry Picker

20 Nov 2016, 03:51

I hate to self nominate, but I nominate the two new condition Cherry G81-3100SAV's I got towards the start of this year. It took me 4-5 years of very involved searching to find these. Without a doubt my favourite keyset of all time, and my most wanted Cherry keyboard since I started collecting.

Full album here.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Nov 2016, 08:34

I am having a hard time making up my mind which one of the discoveries Haata has posted since he got active in late summer again. His work with the force gauge measurements add a never before seen visualization to the switch characteristics of the relics he presents. What I found most interesting of his finds is the "vintage" Topre board along with force measurements & comparison:
photos-f62/topre-39-aa-0101-t14607.html

I never knew Topres get that vintage ;)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Nov 2016, 08:53

I'd like to nominate emdude for his amazing find of three (!) IBM 3277 keyboards:

This find is so important and rare to this date that any further explanation is unnecessary!

photos-f62/ibm-3277-beam-spring-keyboard-t14016.html
GNJhCxe.jpg
GNJhCxe.jpg (430.66 KiB) Viewed 70617 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Nov 2016, 11:20

PollandAkuma wrote: Recently discovered that E3E and Mattr567 discovered Striped Amber SKCLs from Tandem keyboards. They are so rare that they've never been documented before. The only examples of them are in those two's hands... :twisted:
pictures?

alh84001
v.001

20 Nov 2016, 12:40

I nominate ohaimark/Mattr567 for discovery of SKCL striped amber.

Well, I should have read the whole thread before posting :roll:
Last edited by alh84001 on 20 Nov 2016, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

PollandAkuma

20 Nov 2016, 13:03

matt3o wrote:
PollandAkuma wrote: Recently discovered that E3E and Mattr567 discovered Striped Amber SKCLs from Tandem keyboards. They are so rare that they've never been documented before. The only examples of them are in those two's hands... :twisted:
pictures?
photos-f62/the-ultimate-alps-switch-tes ... 14883.html

Pics are in this thread, but how does one post them :o

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 15:06

alh84001 wrote: I nominate ohaimark/Mattr567 for discovery of SKCL striped amber.

I did technically take the first photos of them and own them, so I guess you can leave me in there. XMIT also had them, but he listed them as Browns in a spreadsheet so I think he didn't really pay much attention to them.

Please give most of the credit to Mattr567, though. I didn't document them at all, in part because I wanted someone else to have fun doing so!

lot_lizard

20 Nov 2016, 15:21

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Nov 2016, 17:18

photekq wrote: I hate to self nominate, but I nominate the two new condition Cherry G81-3100SAV's I got towards the start of this year. It took me 4-5 years of very involved searching to find these. Without a doubt my favourite keyset of all time, and my most wanted Cherry keyboard since I started collecting.

Full album here.
Here, I'll nominate you because that is a beautiful keyboard. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm.

E3E

20 Nov 2016, 19:08

ohaimark wrote:
alh84001 wrote: I nominate ohaimark/Mattr567 for discovery of SKCL striped amber.

I did technically take the first photos of them and own them, so I guess you can leave me in there. XMIT also had them, but he listed them as Browns in a spreadsheet so I think he didn't really pay much attention to them.

Please give most of the credit to Mattr567, though. I didn't document them at all, in part because I wanted someone else to have fun doing so!
I'm part of this party too! I agree though, Mattr567 did do all of the heavy lifting in terms of creating a wiki page. The most I did was take weight measurements to compare with other linears.

davkol

21 Nov 2016, 13:28

Does HaaTa's Epson InterKX belong here? If it does, I'd like to nominate it for the amazing modular design combined with Topre cap sense… and still quite usable layout.

ImageDSC03149

Halvar

21 Nov 2016, 13:46

I nominate snuci for all of his finds this year. He always takes great photos, too.

The one that I liked the most was this one, but there were many others.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Nov 2016, 13:53

please remember that the award is for the discovery itself, so you always have to point to one (or more) items. If you want to credit the person also nominate him to the Deskthority award "for the great relic finds"

Halvar

21 Nov 2016, 14:09

You're right, I wrote this badly.

I nominate this awe-inspiring NASA keyboard and control panel found by snuci, and I ask voters to please consider that the wingnut for this great discovery would go to a very deserving person.

WASD_Greg

22 Nov 2016, 01:24

I am not entirely sure that this fits into this category but it might, DIY Hall Effect keyboard that was just posted here: keyboards-f2/hall-effect-keyboard-infor ... ml#p340230

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Nov 2016, 07:48

WASD_Greg wrote: I am not entirely sure that this fits into this category but it might, DIY Hall Effect keyboard that was just posted here: keyboards-f2/hall-effect-keyboard-infor ... ml#p340230
mmmh I would add it the list and let people decide in the second round :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Nov 2016, 08:20

c'mon guys, only 9? let's make it 10 at least :P

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Nov 2016, 08:37

matt3o wrote: c'mon guys, only 9? let's make it 10 at least :P
Snuci's Canon Cat:

photos-f62/cat-pics-the-canon-kind-t13644.html
Canon Cat - front profile.JPG
Canon Cat - front profile.JPG (166.17 KiB) Viewed 70199 times
Snuci's MacCharlie:

photos-f62/maccharlie-apple-m0110-with- ... ?hilit=mac
MacCharlie - keyboard extention slightly removed.JPG
MacCharlie - keyboard extention slightly removed.JPG (233.15 KiB) Viewed 70199 times
:ugeek:

hook

25 Nov 2016, 11:37

This might be a bit of a stretch, because the keyboard is less than two years old, but I propose The Other Half Keyboard (a.k.a. TOHKBD):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... your-jolla

It was an OSHW community project to create a HW keyboard for a modular phone (Jolla, using the Linux-based SailfishOS). Its casing is 3D printed (often with a wooden back panel attached), the keys are manufactured in China(?) and the PCB attaches itself as a cover to the phone and talks to it via an I2C port, while the NFC tag triggers the drivers download. The keyboard part holds on to the cover part via magnets and uses pins to communicate with it (i.e. no weird or unsecure BlueTooth stuff).

Oh, and it has a special key-combo to trigger the embedded selfie flash light :idea: :mrgreen:

A photo of a disassembled one (not mine):
Spoiler:
A photo of it attached and ready to use (you can slide it underneath the phone, so you get essentially a very thick phone):
Spoiler:
FunkyOtherHalf (out of business now) just made one run of these keyboards and there were only about 1200 ever made – which does make it a rare find even so soon after its initial production. I’m happy to say, I’m one of the crazies that owns one – with blank keys to boot ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Nov 2016, 12:28

this would be probably better under "project or innovation" but if the project is from 2014 it would be too old for that too

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Nov 2016, 12:48

Seal one in a box and open it again in 20 years for best relic 2036 ;)

hook

25 Nov 2016, 12:53

matt3o wrote: this would be probably better under "project or innovation" but if the project is from 2014 it would be too old for that too
Yeah, initially I wanted to post it there, but then I thought of submitting it here as I didn’t see any actual age limit mentioned in the rules.

I’m totally fine with it no being a relic yet (even if both the kbd and the phone aren’t produced any more) – as long as it’s a nice “find” for people to see :)
Wodan wrote: Seal one in a box and open it again in 20 years for best relic 2036 ;)
Hehe, will probably do as soon as my phone dies …that’s a piece of history in itself ;)

Alkhar

25 Nov 2016, 13:39

Hello, i nominate vsev for his Azerty Beamspring discovery

other-news-f47/stuff-you-just-bought-t1 ... ml#p332395

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

25 Nov 2016, 19:31

Thanks for the nominations :D

Here's my my list of important discoveries this year. I'm a sucker for magnets if you hadn't noticed :mrgreen:

Bezkont. Klávesnice 262.3
ImageDSC04317
Not only does this soviet keyboard look it uses rather nice single magnet honeywell hall effect switches.
photos-f62/bezkont-klavesnice-262-3-t12956.html

RTA-80 Teletype Keyboard
ImageDSC05290
Magnetic tactility!
While not all that pleasant to type on, the force curve is unique amongst my keyboard collection.

Teletype 50k 227 AAH
ImageDSC06796
Magnetic tactilty + Capsense!
In my humble opinion, this is my most awesome keyboard discovery of the year. The pcb is simple, the switch design is novel, and has that 1980s Teletype style. And really, there's nothing else quite like it.
photos-videos-f64/teletype-50k-227-aah-t15010.html

DrOpBoX

01 Dec 2016, 11:34

I vote for Snuci cannon cat...wow, so cute stuff :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

01 Dec 2016, 11:37

DrOpBoX wrote: I vote for Snuci cannon cat...wow, so cute stuff :D
For real! We're on the internet and there's something called "Cat" ...

Return to “Call for nominees”