Best keycaps

Rimrul

20 Nov 2016, 01:08

Sponsored by:
By voting in the third round of this category, you can win a Matias Tactile Pro from The Keyboard Company!

Nomination rules:
Please suggest nominees for the best keycaps in 2016. Only complete sets may be nominated. Artisans and novelties have their own category. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You are not allowed to nominate yourself.

Current suggestions:
  • EnjoyPBT
  • QS Series Double-shot Planck Keyset
  • Modern Selectric
  • GeekKeys' Dark Grey Dyesub
  • GMK Carbon
  • GMK Skeletor
  • Nantucket Selectric
  • Tai-Hao PBT Doubleshots
  • GMK Monkey
  • Skidata+
  • Imsto thick PBT dyesub
  • DSA overcast
  • SA industrial
  • DSA granite
  • DSA Dolch
  • GMK 9009
  • Realforce/HHKB stock keycaps
  • Keyboard & Co.
The first round ends on Saturday 26 November, 23:59:59 UTC.
Last edited by Rimrul on 22 Nov 2016, 18:06, edited 6 times in total.

Belfong

20 Nov 2016, 01:41

I'd like to nominate EnjoyPBT - this set of key caps surprised me with its superb feel, beautiful legends (especially the Cyrillic set) and closeness to the classic beige colour. I'm not sure if I needed to post picture but it's just beautiful.

rozakiin

20 Nov 2016, 02:01

I'd like to vote Devlin, they manufacture amazing thick double shot keycaps with profiles to rival SP as well as competitive prices, I don't know if they can qualify as there have been no full groupbuy keysets created but there has been the QS series planck set.

PollandAkuma

20 Nov 2016, 02:10

I'd like to nominate Modern Selectric SA. I love the colourway and the vintage yet modern feel to it. The smoothness as time wears it out gives it the look of a vintage typewriter. The caps seems to want to shape to my fingers, so that every touch is precise and accurate. The minimalistic and playful legends used on the modifiers and speciality keys are also very fitting.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Nov 2016, 02:11

I will nominate:
GeekKeys' Dark Grey Dyesub Thick PBT -- because it's a high quality, reasonably priced set for people who prefer a more subtle and understated look (i.e. boring losers like me).
Spoiler:

robotmaxtron

20 Nov 2016, 02:24

GMK Carbon, one of the lower priced GMK sets with support for the Planck, Ergodox, novelties, several less common spacebar choices, international and community kits.

GMK Skeletor, such a great color set, GB could not have been handled smoother, very reasonably priced.

chuckdee

20 Nov 2016, 02:41

Nantucket Selectric - it took Modern selectric and really turned it on it's head with a unique colorway and decisive style.

Hking0036

20 Nov 2016, 03:19

If we're going to nominate GBs do they have to be from this year?

Either way, I'm going to go with Tai-Hao's PBT doubleshots because for $40 they're decent PBT, even if a bit thin and I've enjoyed mine a lot. It's a good starting point if you want to try PBT but don't have the money to go all out for a fancy set.

nubbinator

20 Nov 2016, 03:49

robotmaxtron wrote: GMK Skeletor, such a great color set, GB could not have been handled smoother, very reasonably priced.
I could not be happier with how it was handled by GMK and Originative.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

20 Nov 2016, 05:42

GMK Skeletor, wish I were able to afford this set :(

lot_lizard

20 Nov 2016, 05:53

I realize it is early yet to nominate this one, but original profile design is CRAZY hard. I'm not sure the rules as to whether you can be nominated in subsequent years (if not, hold on this one... because next year is a dunk), but Matt3o's Hi-Profile PBT caps are incredibly impressive thus far

Ail

20 Nov 2016, 07:25

Belfong wrote: I'd like to nominate EnjoyPBT - this set of key caps surprised me with its superb feel, beautiful legends (especially the Cyrillic set) and closeness to the classic beige colour. I'm not sure if I needed to post picture but it's just beautiful.
I second this, the EnjoyPBT dyesubs are a great alternative to GMK doubleshots and a quality keyset in their own right.

NolaSwag

20 Nov 2016, 09:59

GMK Monkey - the orange & light gray colors work really well together and it is unlike any other set

Rimrul

20 Nov 2016, 11:03

I've updated the nominee list.
rozakiin wrote: I'd like to vote Devlin, they manufacture amazing thick double shot keycaps with profiles to rival SP as well as competitive prices, I don't know if they can qualify as there have been no full groupbuy keysets created but there has been the QS series planck set.
There are the rad-away and skidata groupbuys that end today. I'd also argue the Planck set counts as a full set, because it certainly does cover a (very specific) full keyboard.
lot_lizard wrote: I realize it is early yet to nominate this one, but original profile design is CRAZY hard. I'm not sure the rules as to whether you can be nominated in subsequent years (if not, hold on this one... because next year is a dunk), but Matt3o's Hi-Profile PBT caps are incredibly impressive thus far
Matt3o is sadly not eligible for nominations as he is a member of the DTA team. This rule is in place to prevent unfair advantages. I'll clarify wether this is eligible for "best keycaps" or "best project or inovation" should this rule change.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

20 Nov 2016, 11:07

To me, the Skidata+ set was the best keycap set of 2016. The kit design, keycaps offered and great leap in production quality at GMK are noteworthy and - my impression - this GB marked a turning point in how GMK perceived the enthusiast community being the last major GB with a 250MOQ.

It also felt like Karura, the GB runner, put in an unusual amount of effort to make this GB come true since he really, really wanted it to happen.

andrewjoy

20 Nov 2016, 15:50

I will nominate imsto for his Thick Grey PBT dyesub.

They are some of the best caps around and make a novatouch feel and sound how it should.

The lettering is sharp and has a loverly font.

Whats not to like

OutragedPudding

20 Nov 2016, 18:28

I would also like to vote for Devlin as the current full keyset (for the Planck) and the upcoming K and Q-Series keysets are all very thick and have a great shape!

Zambu

20 Nov 2016, 19:09

I'd like to nominate DSA Overcast, for offering so multiple color schemes, the huge novelty pack and covering almost any imaginable layout.

DrOpBoX

20 Nov 2016, 20:42

Enjoy dyesub PBT...I`m waiting one friend from china bring me some enjoy green cyrillic. Beatiful font and best color ever :D

scottc

20 Nov 2016, 21:25

Original Cherry dyesub PBT - the classy original concept that EnjoyPBT are ripping off. ;) Don't think they count though.

davkol

20 Nov 2016, 23:59

SA Industrial, because it's one of the first dyesub PBT sets in SA profile (although only uniform R3) from Signature Plastics… a potential beginning of a new era of "vintage" spherical sets, that don't lose their texture to sweat as easily as ABS.

chuckdee

21 Nov 2016, 00:17

I know it's probably a stretch, but can you nominate a combination? Skelefuse is really awesome... but it's a combo if Skeletor and Hyperfuse.

tentator

21 Nov 2016, 01:12

Nixie caps (yes not the switches!!) are underrated, very very nice sound!
Granite PBT DSA
Dolch ABS DSA

kokokoy

21 Nov 2016, 05:34

GMK 9009, though there were hiccups on the GB still love the set. The front printed numpad is a first on the set I own.

nafsasp

21 Nov 2016, 17:32

GMK Carbon - Not just for the great colorway, but for the effort to support various layouts. It is unfortunate though that the international kit is just now being run. Maybe drawing attention to this could encourage earlier inclusion in future sets.

Rimrul

21 Nov 2016, 18:54

scottc wrote: Original Cherry dyesub PBT - the classy original concept that EnjoyPBT are ripping off. ;) Don't think they count though.
tentator wrote: Nixie caps (yes not the switches!!) are underrated, very very nice sound!
I'm not sure if these two count since they aren't really related to 2016 in any way. I'm assuming you mean these Nixdorf keycaps?
chuckdee wrote: I know it's probably a stretch, but can you nominate a combination? Skelefuse is really awesome... but it's a combo if Skeletor and Hyperfuse.
It is indeed a stretch. Skeletor on it's own is already nominated though.

rioc

22 Nov 2016, 10:21

do they have to be produced in 2016? if not I'll nominate Hack'd by ;)

cookie

22 Nov 2016, 11:28

I'd like to nominate:

The stock Realforce/HHKB keycaps for setting the highest standards since 2001 and still providing one of the best feeling caps out there. The amazing texture and their extraordinary endurance and resist to shine make me completely fall in love with them.

Khers

22 Nov 2016, 13:12

cookie wrote: I'd like to nominate:

The stock Realforce/HHKB keycaps for setting the highest standards since 2001 and still providing one of the best feeling caps out there. The amazing texture and their extraordinary endurance and resist to shine make me completely fall in love with them.
I second this!

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Nov 2016, 14:33

Keyboard & Co. GMK by switchnollie and sherryton for having one of the more unique & pretty colour schemes.

Return to “Call for nominees”