What's the deal with paying huge cash for custom keycaps?

Trev

20 Feb 2013, 05:21

I'm relatively new to this "scene", and I've noticed people will pay insane money for Clack Factory and other "collectable" keycaps. Why are these so appealing? Why do people pay such high prices?

I've already seen single caps sold at prices that could purchase several decent mech keyboards.

What's the typical demographic of people trading and buying these? Is it kids? It seems kind of like a high-stakes version of trading marbles.

Not judging or trolling here, just genuinely rather perplexed and curious. :)

If there's illicit diamonds or drugs hidden in these "double shots", I didn't mean to expose your elaborate global trading network. Please delete my post if this is the case.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Feb 2013, 05:38

There's less novelty keycap worship here. It's really just rarity more than anything I think. There's no way people would be paying $100+ for CC keycaps if they were produced in large quantities.
Look at what happened when people could get Cherry double-shot red Esc keys again. They went from commanding prices of up to $250 down to basically nothing (5 bucks on Elitekeyboards?). Then everyone started trying to identify the subtle differences between the GMK produced caps and the originals maybe in some desperate bid to hold on to their fortunes.

Trev

20 Feb 2013, 05:47

002 wrote:There's less novelty keycap worship here. It's really just rarity more than anything I think. There's no way people would be paying $100+ for CC keycaps if they were produced in large quantities.
Look at what happened when people could get Cherry double-shot red Esc keys again. They went from commanding prices of up to $250 down to basically nothing (5 bucks on Elitekeyboards?). Then everyone started trying to identify the subtle differences between the GMK produced caps and the originals maybe in some desperate bid to hold on to their fortunes.
The red Esc thing is rather amusing. Conjures up images of people storing sets of keycaps in safe deposit boxes at the bank. Imagine explaining to your wife that "we can't retire" because a keycap investment portfolio has plummeted? :)

Frankly, I'm surprised there's not more Chinese clones. I guess they've figured out that it's such a small niche, you could probably only do one big run and that would be your entire market demand filled.

Topre Enthusiast

20 Feb 2013, 05:53

Haha! Before GMK came along the closest you could get were the Signature Plastics versions which were frankly nowhere near as good. You *can* still tell the difference sometimes between the GMK and the original version but even if they are slightly inferior (askew arm on the 'E'?), I don't think they are $245-worth inferior :D

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Feb 2013, 09:14

Keycaps are like tires. All your expensive double-shots will turn into glossy expensive double-shots.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Feb 2013, 15:50

webwit wrote:Keycaps are like tires. All your expensive double-shots will turn into glossy expensive double-shots.
You shouldn't use the expensive double shots. They need to be placed in a heavily secured glass case for display purposes, protected from sunlight and the oils on your fingers.

dirge

20 Feb 2013, 16:47

Nope Everything should be used, except for new in box.

Peter

20 Feb 2013, 16:57

Trev wrote: If there's illicit diamonds or drugs hidden in these "double shots", I didn't mean to expose your elaborate global trading network. Please delete my post if this is the case.
Hehehe ..
EXACTLY what I have been thinking, and not just in the keyboard-segment !
Then, I don't mind exposing some MAFIA white-wash scam !!

The reason you don't see convincing counterfeit Chinese Cherry-Red "ESC" keys is very simple :
The tooling never left Germany (Unt Grüß Gott for that !!) .
(Obviously, that bag of +100 Red Cherry ESC-keys I was offered for a truly rare keyboard ..
ALL 'FAKES' !!)
What's the typical demographic of people trading and buying these?
In my eXperience :
Mostly South-Koreans !
OK, RICH South-Koreans !!
But silly-rich China-'commies' don't mind paying premium prices either !

jabar

20 Feb 2013, 20:59

I actually look forward to someone wax copying the Skull clacks and releasing counterfeits to the masses. It would be pretty easy to do. What makes me a bit mad is the whole defense of such keycap "art" when it's just plastic reproductions of a mold.

The whole keycap scene is pretty ridiculous. Even new doubleshot keycap sets are ridiculously priced for just engineered plastic. But as ridiculous as it may be, it's not completely moronic like TF2 digital goods trading market.

Trev

21 Feb 2013, 04:28

jabar wrote:I actually look forward to someone wax copying the Skull clacks and releasing counterfeits to the masses. It would be pretty easy to do. What makes me a bit mad is the whole defense of such keycap "art" when it's just plastic reproductions of a mold.

The whole keycap scene is pretty ridiculous. Even new doubleshot keycap sets are ridiculously priced for just engineered plastic. But as ridiculous as it may be, it's not completely moronic like TF2 digital goods trading market.
I still haven't seen a custom cap that sparked my interest. Even if I did, I can't see myself paying over $5-10 for one.

I had the red Topre escape key on, it only lasted a few days before going back to black :)

Topre Enthusiast

21 Feb 2013, 05:43

Topre red Esc is gorgeous man...put that shit back on now :)

Trev

21 Feb 2013, 06:04

002 wrote:Topre red Esc is gorgeous man...put that shit back on now :)
Nah, if anything goes on that switch it'll be a FoamyPandaBukkake™ double-shot Clack Esc. I know one is out there... somewhere.

Topre Enthusiast

21 Feb 2013, 06:15

I think that Allesandro chap makes bukkake caps already

Jim66

21 Feb 2013, 11:11

002 wrote:I think that Allesandro chap makes bukkake caps already
I nearly choked on my bacon sandwich laughing at that.

Trev

22 Feb 2013, 04:32

002 wrote:I think that Allesandro chap makes bukkake caps already
There's too variants of that cap. In one the Panda is grinning, in the other he's crying and humiliated. The latter is obviously far more collectable. I've heard the details and colours are incredible.

It would be hilarious to have a talented CG artist mock up realistic photos of crazy rare caps, just to get people all frothing at the mouth. With a good render, nobody would know the difference:

Stumbled across a GH thread yesterday with people bidding $85+ on clacks. W.T.F?

guilleguillaume

22 Feb 2013, 12:46

Trev wrote:[...]

Stumbled across a GH thread yesterday with people bidding $85+ on clacks. W.T.F?
The funny fact is that the auction is still open during 2 days and people are bidding that amount.

What's the point in raising the price? I don't know. They like to spend more money for the lulz.

Ekaros

22 Feb 2013, 12:52

I can undestand the cost for double-shots which all relatively small runs and makers don't really care about those.

The novelty caps are crazy though. But hey we have to keep the consumption up...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Feb 2013, 12:58

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses."

sorry I couldn't resist :P

Findecanor

22 Feb 2013, 14:49

It's a bubble. Small bubbles like this start sometimes in groups of collectors ... I have seen it in other fields of collecting also.

I have never understood the point of having key caps that are not shaped like key caps ... :roll:

webwit
Wild Duck

22 Feb 2013, 15:07

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Feb 2013, 15:49

I love a good tulip.

mintberryminuscrunch

22 Feb 2013, 16:44

Findecanor wrote:..
I have never understood the point of having key caps that are not shaped like key caps ... :roll:
:lol:

Gilgam

22 Feb 2013, 22:01

prdlm2009 wrote:
I love a good tulip.
Wait for a ClickClack to be as expensive as a house....

Trev

23 Feb 2013, 11:45

Selling some misc. junk on Ebay to fund a Matias Laptop Pro, or maybe Tactile Mini...

I can afford one outright of course, this just means I won't get in trouble :D

Trev

24 Feb 2013, 03:33

Trev wrote:Selling some misc. junk on Ebay to fund a Matias Laptop Pro, or maybe Tactile Mini...

I can afford one outright of course, this just means I won't get in trouble :D
Totally wrong thread. Alcohol and keyboard forums don't mix, kids. MmmK?

Return to “Keyboards”