Nixdorf Soft-click (G80-0801)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Apr 2011, 15:16

We already had the Soft-touch (Linears) earlier this year, now here is the soft-click variant. Pretty different from the earlier version. Plate mounted instead of PCB mounted this time. Made by Cherry directly in 1986. The switches are the old white, clicky switches that were around before Cherry came up with the MX Blue switches.

Below are (a lot) of impressions. If you have a slow internet connection, hold tight:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Apr 2011, 17:35

Going to attempt to convert this to USB tonight.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Apr 2011, 20:49

Are the switches the same as the Blues, or are they the same with a different force requirement, or are they completely different?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Apr 2011, 20:50

Less force required, switches feel more fragile. Two of them don't click despite the board being NIB.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Apr 2011, 20:54

Interesting. I wonder if it's the same mechanism in the switch as the Blues.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Apr 2011, 21:03

I'll desolder and open some later.

ripster

13 Apr 2011, 06:15

Is the plastic translucent white? Sure looks like the Clears!

Pylon

13 Apr 2011, 13:02

Sort of like Alps switches...

7bit

13 Apr 2011, 20:49

This is the best layout, Cherry ever produced (except if there exists an undicovered Cherry keyboard with a better layout). I like the larger keys in the function row, which are also better reachable than those 24 keys in the extra panel (like 2000, 2100, 2550 etc).

webwit
Wild Duck

16 Apr 2011, 04:35

I like the color coder keys. In general it looks commanding. But a pre-mouse layout..the distance to a mouse on the right side is horrible.

Should be equipped with a RollerMouse. Ok, now I'm spamming my own forum.

7bit

16 Apr 2011, 12:34

webwit wrote:I like the color coder keys. In general it looks commanding. But a pre-mouse layout..the distance to a mouse on the right side is horrible.

Should be equipped with a RollerMouse. Ok, now I'm spamming my own forum.
But no!

This layout with a RollerMouse and a filled up cursor section (those 4 missing keys) and a sane return key, and an industrial grey shell would be perfect! Maybe, the space bar should be shortened to allow for more modifier keys ...

mtl

17 Apr 2011, 15:38

Wow, this is a great find, sixty! Great layout, rare key switches and fantastic condition. Ever get it working over USB?

hansichen

01 Mar 2019, 11:18

Time for a necro :D

Some people might be curious which keys are pad printed and which are doubleshot. I marked all the pad printed keys on this photatoe:
G80-0801.jpg
G80-0801.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 7608 times
Some minor facts about these boards:
- The space bar has a clicky mx gray switch
- There are G80-0801 boards with a speaker on the top right (known boards neither have a case or branding)
- The ?? key (top row, 4th from the right) can come with a single ? as well, this key might be doubleshot (found on boards without case, A51 date code [so 1-2 years newer than the known nixdorf ones])

coolrainbow20

12 Apr 2021, 22:37

sixty wrote:
12 Apr 2011, 17:35
Going to attempt to convert this to USB tonight.
I don't actually like to post a reply to an 10 years old thread, since almost no one will reply.
But have you gotten this to work over usb? What kind of hardware do I need in order to get it working?

Return to “Gallery”