A good solid mouse?

Flongo

18 Mar 2011, 01:14

Hello there.

I am looking at buying a new mouse and the problem is they just don't seem to last in my hands.
Over the last couple of years I've broken a Logitech MX510, a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 and my Logitech MX310 is breaking apart as I write this message.
The mice are used for gaming amongst various other things and I'm trying to find a good replacement that will perform well... And last as long as possible :D
While it's easy to find reviews on performance and design I find it hard to find a way to figure out the durability.

So my question to you is: which gaming mice have you found to be reliable in your experience?

Wiremaster

18 Mar 2011, 01:36

I use the Steelseries Ikari Optical. It's my favorite mouse, though I suppose I haven't used too many. It's very comfortable and very... solid-feeling.

Crazy9000

18 Mar 2011, 01:50

Hmm, same thing has happened to all my mice so far as well :P.

Daniel Beaver

18 Mar 2011, 01:59

I used my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 for about eight years before it finally kicked the bucket a couple of months ago. My parents destroyed theirs in just a few, so your millage may vary.

_PixelNinja

18 Mar 2011, 02:35

Try out the Logitech G700 - provided you are a righty and have nothing against wireless peripherals it's a great mouse if you can get a good deal on it (I got mine for ~65€ instead of 99).

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 05:44

I've always had good luck with cheap peripherals.

I've used a Dell L100 keyboard for as long as I can remember and a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse for at least 5 years. I haven't had problems with either. The added bonus is if either break they are very cheap to replace. The keyboard can be bought for under $20 and the mouse for under $10.

Floob

18 Mar 2011, 05:54

I've had great success with most of the Logitech laser mice.

Used my G5 for quite a while, and upgraded to a G9x when it was on sale.

r99t

18 Mar 2011, 16:23

Logitech MX518

Flongo

18 Mar 2011, 17:08

I'm thinking of buying either Razer DeathAdder, Logitech G9x or another Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0.
Any thoughts on these mice- good/bad experiences? (Yes I have taken note of your recommendations so far as well :) )

lucidlts

18 Mar 2011, 17:58

my old Krait served me for 2 years before its sensor died :P

Jimmeh

18 Mar 2011, 18:58

I have personally used logitech laser mice for a long time and liked them overall.
I am currently using G5 which is a very solid mouse and suitable for gaming.

Koeitje

19 Mar 2011, 01:42

Razer is hit or miss quality wise (had some models that broke within 6 months, while others lasted through years of intensive use). I'm currently using a Xai, but only had it for 6 months. Feels really solid (same sensor as the G9x btw). Logitech would also be a pretty good choice.

Flongo

19 Mar 2011, 13:26

Nice tip. The thing I don't like too much about the G9x is the design so will consider the Xai as well. Thanks for all the input- now I need to go try them out myself :).

hate

19 Mar 2011, 18:45

first of all if you want any recommendations state what grip do you use and how much you can spend on it. read up on http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/ht ... ntages.php.

ive never broken a mouse, ive still got a 6 year old IE 3.0 and some older 1.1 that go strong after much of abuse, razer salmosa/abyssus are awesome simple (not much that can brake) claw grip mice if you play RTS. The Deathadder seems decent, ive used it for some time but dont own one so cant comment on how is the quality over time. Some of the steelseries mice are known to have double click problems (i got a double clicking ikari i got for free).

stay away from logitech ! its the devil i tell you ! (just joking, just never been convinced by their products).

ripster

19 Mar 2011, 18:56

r99t wrote:Logitech MX518
+1, QFT, /thread, Fo Shnizzle Ma Wienerschnitzel
Last edited by ripster on 19 Mar 2011, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously

19 Mar 2011, 19:11

I use a Razer Lachesis- it's for both lefty and righty, with side buttons on both sides for that extra forward/back page action. I think the older model is pretty cheap now, last saw it on Newegg for $40 or so. Been using it since '08 or so.

J888www

19 Mar 2011, 20:12

Cannot go wrong with the Logitech SetPoint software, it just works, works and works.
MX 518 is good............in every way.

espritsc

09 Apr 2011, 08:07

My favourite mouse: Logitech MX518.

NOMiS

09 Apr 2011, 16:56

The G5/mx518 shell has a very nice construction, very strong imo. The Xai shell has an extremely similar construction to them as well. However the G5 mouse wheel is very flimsy, and will probably break after a period of time. I've not seen how mx518's are. Aside from that is the micro switches. Those probably go next, but it can be years before they die, just depends how much you use them. They can be replaced. You don't really specify what breaks on your mice, so I can't really say anything else.

Razer has a terrible reputation for quality control and malfunctioning mice. Although the DeathAdder 1800dpi had one of the best sensors and a great shape, it was notorious for breaking one way or another.

My personal recommendations is the Xai. It does have some flaws, but it should be able to stand up to most abuse well, and last long. Near the end of my warranty the mouse4 microswitch broke/died so I sent it in for a new one. It was a heavily used button, more than most people will ever use that, but just thought I'd say it. Also since it has 4 of those switches and I only used the ones on the left, I could have swapped them around and got a "new" one.

Minskleip

09 Apr 2011, 22:48

Logitech Dual Optic :D

Swede

10 Apr 2011, 17:03

Try the Mionix Naos 3200, Most comfortable mouse i've ever had! (I have the 5000, but it's the same stuff really)
I don't tend to break my mice or wear them down fast, but i've had this mouse since late 09 and no sign of wear that I can see.
Only downside I can find is the drivers, the new driver crashes when you make changes :/

NewGuy

11 Apr 2011, 07:33

In what way have your previous mice broken? Is it the cord fraying/coming loose? The shell cracking?

The Solutor

14 Apr 2011, 01:24

yench

15 Apr 2011, 15:17

I'm using a MS IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. It's probably not the best mouse on the market, but i like the big side buttons and symmetrical mouses in general. Also it's reasonably cheap. Got my first one early 2001 iirc. Worked great for a few years before I decided to throw some paint over it... Bought another one that stopped working after one and a half year. Then decided to buy some OCZ mouse that i cannot remember the name of (I dunno why, I should've used my warranty to get a new MS. Stupid me). The quality was bad and the rubber(?) surface went off after half a year and it stopped working after about a year. Now I'm happily using my third Optical.

Telstar

26 Oct 2011, 02:54

Logitech makes among the most reliable mice.
I own my current mouse for too short to say how reliable is, but the quality is very high.

amasokin

05 Dec 2011, 17:41

What the hell are you doing whith your mice ? If you throw them against the wall when you lose (like me - ahem), that would explain it though. I currently use a Razer Deathadder (that I love), but I have to admit that they're not the most sturdy mouse ever ; it's my second one, the middle click died on my first one...

I'd have to say Logitech or Microsoft (I don't know how you broke an Intellimouse, this thing is unkillable) are the most reliable/solid mice makers. The Logitech G-series are pretty sturdy (even if my G700 died not long ago after only 1 year of use).

squarebox

06 Dec 2011, 04:54

You can go wrong with the Razer Deathadder Black Edition.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”