Switch Try Bag - Europe

Ascaii
The Beard

22 Jan 2013, 17:20

START OF EUROPE Switch Try Bag TOUR

Managed by : Ascaii

Note: This thread is a work in progress, please check in periodically!

Collection of Interest starting NOW
END : 31-3-2013

If you want to participate, PM me with the following header STB_EUROPE. If you do not use this header you will not be participating!
The text of your PM MUST include your full name, address, land line phone number, as well as the following sentence: I have read and agree to adhere to the rules of the STB Europe sink list.
Feel free to add an email address you use regularly, in case you dont check the forum too often. Work addresses are not permitted, but I can grant exceptions. If you must use a work address, please PM me to discuss, using the same header as above.

Sample PM:
sample_pm.jpg
sample_pm.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
The rules for the STB:
1. Be a registered member of DT.
2. You need to provide your actual full name home address, and land line phone number.
3. You will cover the cost of tracked shipping to the next participant. Send the tracking number to STB manager.
4. Do NOT change/alter/damage/break the item! If an accident happens, please contact the manager. Same goes for damages in transit.
5. Take a week (7 days, ±1day) to sample. 9 days are the absolute maximum! If you have trouble, contact the manager.
6. Write a short review about your experiences with the item.
7. ALWAYS ship the item with tracking! If you can't provide tracked shipping, you are not allowed to participate.
8. You need to agree to adhere to the rules to be able to participate.
*Disclaimer*: I will keep a record of all addresses. I will personally send addresses out to the next in line. Your data is safe with me, I will not use it for any purpose next to the STB, nor will I share it with anyone.

How the list will run:
1. You receive the bag
2. You have 1 week to test it. Notify me when you receive it.
3. I will get in touch with the next in line and send you the address of the next person on the list.
4. You send the STB to the next participant. Tracking is MANDATORY
5. Send me the tracking number and address where I can track it

A SurpriseBag will be shipped with the sinklist item. If you like something that's inside, you are allowed to swap it for something of equal or greater value. You are not required to add anything, but it is encouraged.The contents of the bag are for the sinklist manager so he can be rewarded for his efforts.

The Switch Try Bag version 2.

It contains 33 switches :
Cherry:

Code: Select all

ML
MY
MX:
Red
Black
Green
Clear
Blue
Brown
White
Linear Grey
Tactile Grey
M8
M7 , The Ancient One
Alps :

Cream simplified Clicky
White complicated Clicky 
Orange complicated Tactile
Blue complicated Clicky
Black simplified Tactile
White simplified Tactile
Cream complicated Tactile
Grey complicated Clicky
White low profile 
Specials :

Futaba
Fake white clicky chicony MX
Monterey Blue
Hall Effect ( Including spherical keycap )
Model M ( Home mode, using Model F barrel, model M click leaf, model M spring )
Topre ( 55 grams, home made, keycap, housing, rubber, spring )
KPT
Mitsumi
Acer Clicky White
Acer Clicky Black
Orange Omron
Keycap material :

thin ABS
thick ABS
thin PBT
thick PBT
POM
Keycap Lettering :

Lasered
Dye Subbed
Double Shot
Dampeners:

Rubber O-ring 40A
Rubber O-ring 50A
Landing pad , type Soft
Landing pad, type Firm
Extras:

Cherry MX stabilizer insert
Spherical keycap
Some pictures :

Ascaii
The Beard

22 Jan 2013, 17:30

registered Participants:
pheo - Spain
gmjhowe - UK
VladTepes - France
niall - UK
Muirium - UK
Last edited by Ascaii on 27 Mar 2013, 11:45, edited 5 times in total.

Ascaii
The Beard

22 Jan 2013, 17:30

Just in case.

pheo

23 Jan 2013, 10:59

That is a great bundle of switches! It is great all the people that is doing this for "academic" purposes and in an altruistic way.

gmjhowe

07 Feb 2013, 17:21

Excellent, this is a great little project to be involved with. Be great to play with some switches that I will likely not choose to buy or get my hands on otherwise.

Niall

05 Mar 2013, 17:07

Just sent in an application! If I get accepted, I'll get macro photographs of each individual switch for documentation and for the wiki, the idea being inspired from a thread over at GeekHack inquiring about photographers. Plus playing with the switches will be fun!

gmjhowe

05 Mar 2013, 17:16

Niall wrote:Just sent in an application! If I get accepted, I'll get macro photographs of each individual switch for documentation and for the wiki, the idea being inspired from a thread over at GeekHack inquiring about photographers. Plus playing with the switches will be fun!
What technique do you use for taking Macro photos?

I was actually planning to do the same following taking some pictures for the MEI switch here - http://deskthority.net/wiki/MEI_switch

Niall

05 Mar 2013, 18:00

gmjhowe wrote:
Niall wrote:Just sent in an application! If I get accepted, I'll get macro photographs of each individual switch for documentation and for the wiki, the idea being inspired from a thread over at GeekHack inquiring about photographers. Plus playing with the switches will be fun!
What technique do you use for taking Macro photos?

I was actually planning to do the same following taking some pictures for the MEI switch here - http://deskthority.net/wiki/MEI_switch
I don't have a technique per se, the only macro lens I own was bought more due to the fact that it's an incredibly sharp lens regardless of the focus, and being a full-frame 55mm (82.5mm on my crop camera) means I can't use lights/flashes easily, but I have a sturdy tripod I can plop down for long exposure shots. I'll probably end up replicating these style of shots for the wiki entries that don't have them, or only have stock images. Most likely without the glossy lights.

But great pictures you have there! Being 'loaned' switches I wouldn't date attempt taking them apart for a shot of the innards, but maybe once I can buy some of my own I'll attempt that too!

gmjhowe

05 Mar 2013, 18:21

Thanks, I just use either a set of extension tubes or a set of macro 'filters'.

The extension tubes can be bought very cheaply, about £8 on ebay. You loose autofocus, but thats not a big deal when taking pictures of something stationary.

The macro 'filters can also be bought for a reasonable amount about £15 on ebay, you retain autofocus, but supposedly loose a little sharpness (I have never noticed myself). If you use a lot of light and shoot at a sharper aperture it will probably reduce any negative effects.

The macro filters are also great because they are a lot less bulky. Also easier to get light onto the subject as less shadows cast.

cinch

14 Mar 2013, 01:05

sounds like a Mr. Interface bag ;)
good luck :) excellent for trying out switches!

Muirium
µ

27 Mar 2013, 11:38

Is this try-out still going ahead? I PMed Ascaii with my details a while ago but haven't heard back. (Sorry to hear you're stuck in hospital, by the way.)

Topre vs. Cherry is on my mind thanks to this. Before I spring for an HHKB or the GH60 equivalent, though, I guess I ought to actually try some Topre and Cherry keys. (Blue versus Green?) This try bag looks the best option and I'm definitely in if it is still go. Otherwise, March 31 is the cutoff for a few other ones too.

Ascaii
The Beard

27 Mar 2013, 11:46

Sorry, Ive been a bit busy with stuff. You are in and this is aimed to begin traveling in April.

Muirium
µ

27 Mar 2013, 13:15

Ascaii wrote:Sorry, Ive been a bit busy with stuff. You are in and this is aimed to begin traveling in April.
Thanks Ascaii.

Return to “Try before you buy”