Dyeing PBT caps with Dylon: some experiments

Thvle

12 Apr 2013, 21:10

Hey, I have a question. The dyeing process does not remove the serigraphy from the keys? And another thing, how long they take color well in the Dylon dye nº33 (Light Blue)

And other thing, for how many? keys serves Dylon dye 4g?

Regards.

Kurk

12 Apr 2013, 21:39

Don't worry, the legends will stay on the caps.
I've used Dylon No 33 (Kingfisher) and described the dyeing process as well as the results in this thread:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/dylo ... t5433.html

With one tin (4.5 g) in one liter water you can easily dye <120 caps in one go. It's mostly limited by the volume of water, you should be able to easily stir the whole "mixture" to ensure that all the keys take on the dye evenly.

Another thing: this only works on PBT caps, not on ABS. Not sure about POM. And yet another thing: it has been confirmed that Dylon does not sell the 4.5 g tins anymore, so get them while you can.

Thvle

12 Apr 2013, 21:41

Kurrk wrote:Don't worry, the legends will stay on the caps.
I've used Dylon No 33 (Kingfisher) and described the dyeing process as well as the results in this thread:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/dylo ... t5433.html

With one tin (4.5 g) in one liter water you can easily dye <120 caps in one go. It's mostly limited by the volume of water, you should be able to easily stir the whole "mixture" to ensure that all the keys take on the dye evenly.

Another thing: this only works on PBT caps, not on ABS. Not sure about POM. And yet another thing: it has been confirmed that Dylon does not sell the 4.5 g tins anymore, so get them while you can.
Thanks, my keyboard is a IBM model M2, this keyboard has PBT caps, not?

Kurk

12 Apr 2013, 21:57

The key caps material probably is PBT, not sure about the space bar though. Are there any IBM experts in the house?

Thvle

12 Apr 2013, 22:26

Kurrk wrote:The key caps material probably is PBT, not sure about the space bar though. Are there any IBM experts in the house?
And permanent dye is forever? or wears so much typing? This is a important thing.

And another thing, and if I just want to dye the Esc key, for example (cherry red), how much I have to use Dylon dye? Why spend a pot of 4.5gr for 1 key, is pretty stupid.

nisilhum

22 Oct 2014, 13:29

intrested this, it's this work for get rid letters pbt laser?

Return to “Workshop”