Ergo Keyboard?

ماء

25 May 2013, 16:00

I arrived wanting ergonomic keyboard today because left arm and left shoulder soreness is long enough if this includes RSI :oops: This disease is actually quite a long time I had given him the drug but does not go away and I think if this is maybe RSI :shock:

Which I ask is the best ergonomic keyboard from most low price to most expensive?

Thank Before
Last edited by ماء on 27 Dec 2013, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

dondy

25 May 2013, 16:14

lowest price is probably microsoft natural (rubberdome) keyboard, then a long period of pretty much nothing until high priced kinesis/maltron keyboards (there's also a ergonomic topre keyboard sold in japan, but i forgot the name).

i would probably buy a used mechanical ergonomic keyboard (if i had the money i would buy the split japanese topre keyboard and a l-trac trackball to sit in between the keyboard parts, but i don't... so... :D). but before that you should probably think if you have other ergonomic problems on your desk that might do that to you.

f.e. it usually helps alot if you can switch positions alot while using your computer to avoid repititive motions that usually cause pain after a while (most "ergonomic" mice are ergonomic because you use them differently and do different motions than with a normal mouse, thus avoiding the stressed nerves - though other pains might come up unless you switch now and then)

ماء

25 May 2013, 16:50

now I use a regular mouse, not yet interested in moving to the trackball even though it was good, ;)
I am now interested to keyboard.

maybe uTron very high price around $400 :o
I prefer to separate like ergo not microsoft natural and not rubber dome expect TOPRE :mrgreen:
What you ever exposed to RSI?

you apparently use trackball :lol:
Last edited by ماء on 04 Jul 2013, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

dondy

25 May 2013, 17:06

i never had RSI (at least not so severe that i went to a doctor to got it diagnosed)

i use a logitech m570 with a ducky dk1087xm (green "alps") - i just wanted to try out thumb trackballs after my mouse broke (i had a logitech marble before the mouse).

i like it though it took me about a week to get used to it properly (using games to train accuracy and speed :D)

and yeah, utron was the name! it's really expensive though :s

i researched a little (about ergonomic stuff) because i actually wanted special peripherals which apparently aren't available anywhere or stupid expensive :/

Muirium
µ

25 May 2013, 17:13

The best:
They cost SIZEABLE $BANK but put you straight in a science fiction movie!

And the Topre:

ماء

25 May 2013, 17:31

dondy wrote:i never had RSI (at least not so severe that i went to a doctor to got it diagnosed)

i use a logitech m570 with a ducky dk1087xm (green "alps") - i just wanted to try out thumb trackballs after my mouse broke (i had a logitech marble before the mouse).

i like it though it took me about a week to get used to it properly (using games to train accuracy and speed :D)

and yeah, utron was the name! it's really expensive though :s

i researched a little (about ergonomic stuff) because i actually wanted special peripherals which apparently aren't available anywhere or stupid expensive :/
looks like fun
how does it work because he does not use the optic / laser and I've never tried before but I wanted to try the Logitech Trackman Marble :mrgreen:
What games that you play?
whether you do not have a keyboard with Cherry mx,whereas you live in a country the cherry mx maker :lol:

how with gold touch,ergodox,and and other ergo keyboards
Last edited by ماء on 25 May 2013, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

ماء

25 May 2013, 17:34

Muirium wrote:The best:
They cost SIZEABLE $BANK but put you straight in a science fiction movie!

And the Topre:
don't like Data Hand i prefer uTron with dvorak version :lol:

Muirium
µ

25 May 2013, 17:39

Ergo keyboards are one of those things where you really have to try it.

The DataHand looks awesome to me, and I'd love to play with one for a while. But who knows? Maybe I'd hate it!

ماء

25 May 2013, 17:59

Muirium wrote:Ergo keyboards are one of those things where you really have to try it.

The DataHand looks awesome to me, and I'd love to play with one for a while. But who knows? Maybe I'd hate it!
yes I want to try ergo keyboard, where do you think most good :)

The data hand indeed looks good but I still likes the feel of the keyboard with switches and not yet boring :D
maybe like webwit,which may have been bored with switch :lol:

dondy

25 May 2013, 18:12

heh, i think there's no best ergonomic keyboard. i didn't even think of the data hand and the like :D
i don't have a preferrence for any of those, either they're not mechanical or too expensive or both - but that might just be me because i'm a student :)

ماء

25 May 2013, 18:21

whether you do not have a keyboard with Cherry mx?,whereas you live in a country the cherry mx maker :D

I also student, but I know enough about the keyboard, although not having :mrgreen:
your student in university or high school or other? :|

Findecanor

25 May 2013, 18:29

If your soreness is in your upper arm and shoulder, then I suggest that you first check your posture and see if there is something that you can do about that. Make sure that you vary your posture during the day also.
I also changed to using vertical mice because of soreness in my right wrist.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2013, 18:32

Working while standing up is a good thing to add to the mix. Everyone has different problems, so there are many changes to try.

ماء

25 May 2013, 18:36

Findecanor wrote:If your soreness is in your upper arm and shoulder, then I suggest that you first check your posture and see if there is something that you can do about that. Make sure that you vary your posture during the day also.
I also changed to using vertical mice because of soreness in my right wrist.
I soreness pain in the forearm and shoulder in left side

davkol

25 May 2013, 18:41

If you have issues with forearms and shoulder, check your posture first.
  • MS Natural Keyboard Elite or Dell/LiteOn/Silitek SK-6000 (about $20) — both are decent RD-over-membrane (Maxi Switch on the SK-6000 feels a bit lighter) keyboards with fixed "3D" split layout (works great in case of tennis elbows)
  • Goldtouch Adjustable Keyboard (about $100) — very light rubber dome, solid, compact, supports tenting
  • TypeMatrix 2030 (about $100) — compact matrix layout, my favorite scissor switches, Dvorak&Colemak hardware support
  • ErgoDox and key64 — DIY, split, matrix, fully mechanical, fully programmable (and open source!)
  • Kinesis Advantage or possibly some Maltron — split, matrix, programmable, suitable for DIY

ماء

25 May 2013, 18:43

Muirium wrote:Working while standing up is a good thing to add to the mix. Everyone has different problems, so there are many changes to try.
:lol: Good Words

Muirium
µ

25 May 2013, 18:48

davkol wrote:(Maxi Switch on the SK-6000 feels a bit lighter)
Maxi Switch, you say?

ماء

25 May 2013, 18:51

davkol wrote:If you have issues with forearms and shoulder, check your posture first.
  • MS Natural Keyboard Elite or Dell/LiteOn/Silitek SK-6000 (about $20) — both are decent RD-over-membrane (Maxi Switch on the SK-6000 feels a bit lighter) keyboards with fixed "3D" split layout (works great in case of tennis elbows)
  • Goldtouch Adjustable Keyboard (about $100) — very light rubber dome, solid, compact, supports tenting
  • TypeMatrix 2030 (about $100) — compact matrix layout, my favorite scissor switches, Dvorak&Colemak hardware support
  • ErgoDox and key64 — DIY, split, matrix, fully mechanical, fully programmable (and open source!)
  • Kinesis Advantage or possibly some Maltron — split, matrix, programmable, suitable for DIY
I want to try ergo keyboard maybe ergo dox or gold touch,gold touch is rubber dome i thik mechanic

but I also want to try the matrix :D looks like fun :mrgreen: :D

thanks yoursuggestions

hoggy

25 May 2013, 21:24

Have you seen your doctor?

Consider rest breaks, posture (as noted above), text expansion software (texter is a good start). Just changing your keyboard is unlikely to fix everything quickly.

Goldtouch is indeed rubberdome - but it's still worth a try. Form factor is pretty good, and it's really quiet (not that you asked about noise).

I'll suggesting skipping the typematrix.

Kinesis advantage is a great board - get one. Well worth the price.

Do you use your left arm for the mouse?

Findecanor

25 May 2013, 21:33

Beware though that there is an older version of the Goldtouch that has harder keys. It has no column of nav keys on the rightmost side.

dondy

25 May 2013, 23:06

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/my-d ... t2534.html here is also a collection of some layouts (though he opts for a more regular looking design later).

ماء

26 May 2013, 02:13

hoggy wrote:Have you seen your doctor?

Consider rest breaks, posture (as noted above), text expansion software (texter is a good start). Just changing your keyboard is unlikely to fix everything quickly.

Goldtouch is indeed rubberdome - but it's still worth a try. Form factor is pretty good, and it's really quiet (not that you asked about noise).

I'll suggesting skipping the typematrix.

Kinesis advantage is a great board - get one. Well worth the price.

Do you use your left arm for the mouse?
Goltouch quite interesting,how rubber dome?
I want try typematrix because dvorak look like fun,unfortunately not mechanical :cry:
no Kinesis advantage but they ever made ergo keybaoard

ماء

26 May 2013, 02:17

Findecanor wrote:Beware though that there is an older version of the Goldtouch that has harder keys. It has no column of nav keys on the rightmost side.
i also doubt,maybe to typematrix 2020 more cheap

ماء

26 May 2013, 02:21

dondy wrote:http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/my-d ... t2534.html here is also a collection of some layouts (though he opts for a more regular looking design later).
looks unique,I'm less likes

ماء

26 May 2013, 06:43

whether does anyone ever use typematrix 2030, whether it is better than your previous keyboard

and what is the difference with typematrix 2020?

davkol

26 May 2013, 11:23

TM 2020 feels cheap and looks ugly. I mean, it isn't bad, but not really worth $60 + $50 shipping ($#@! you UPS). On the other hand, TM 2030 has some of the best scissor switches I've ever used, is more portable, supports Colemak etc. Differences in layout are obvious.

ماء

26 May 2013, 11:52

I also know, I just wanted to try it out before it really serious
I do not need Colemak,I just wanted to Dvorak and TM2020 support QD but unfortunately They using scissor switch regular like laptop maybe
Last edited by ماء on 26 May 2013, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

ماء

26 May 2013, 11:54

but after I read herehttp://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/nothing-about-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard-t288-30.html?hilit=typematrix TM not recommended

ماء

26 May 2013, 16:54

how with kinesis maxim or freestyle,whether good?

if there is a mechanical ergo keyboard with a slightly lower price#hope

davkol

26 May 2013, 19:09

ماء wrote:but after I read herehttp://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/nothing-about-ergonomic-mechanical-keyboard-t288-30.html?hilit=typematrix TM not recommended
Ummm... What?

I don't deny TM 2020 has its flaws, but good luck finding anything similar for $50 (if you're in the US). There're certainly more options at about $100, and TM 2030 is one them. There's even hardly any competition for it, when it comes to portability.

Return to “Keyboards”