IBM 3179 Model F

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

04 May 2011, 21:41

I intend on doing some nifty mods with this thing. So far, I have only got to fit it up with a set of APL keycaps from Unicomp (one is not on the keyboard as I have yet to convert the keyboard from ISO to ANSI), and some numpad keys from an IBM 3161 terminal keyboard. Keycap swapping is very much work in progress -

It will be adapted using a microcontroller-based adapter so I don't have to wank around with software mappings. Whenever my exams are over, I will be working on it, and post more details.

Crazy9000

05 May 2011, 06:41

It always amazes me how large these are :P.

xbb

05 May 2011, 09:38

Really nice, they still sell those APL caps?

The Solutor

05 May 2011, 12:41

Looks more a tombraider's puzzle than a keyboard...
Last edited by The Solutor on 05 May 2011, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 May 2011, 12:44

Don't understand the fascination for APL caps. It's.. an ancient programming language. They interest me as much as the WordPerfect or Cyrillic keycaps, i.e. not at all.

Brian8bit

07 May 2011, 00:52

With all that blank space I would get a custom air brushed design on it. Like when truckers draw fantasy bitches in bear skins holding swords on the sides of their trucks.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2011, 00:52

I wouldn't change the truckers' design.

Brian8bit

07 May 2011, 00:53

Nor would I. Except maybe have a wolf howling silhouetted against the moon or something.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2011, 00:55

A Model F like that on your desk is a sure babe magnet.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 May 2011, 03:28

Not all Monster Fs are equal.

Not the biggest dimensions, but I still like Bigfoot. It's all in the legs.

xbb

07 May 2011, 03:32

lol the last picture, it reminds me a beach deckchair.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

07 May 2011, 10:07

That bottom one is a Model M (the early ones that were of the same style as the Model F ones). The Ms actually have a better quality case (the plastic on the F breaks relatively easily, I have a chip out of mine on the underside). On the flipside, instead of having a plastic underside, the F has a metal plate which weighs more than a fullsize Topre Realforce.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

08 May 2011, 13:12

ANSI conversion in progress

Ascaii
The Beard

08 May 2011, 13:25

daedalus wrote:ANSI conversion in progress

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

daedalus, destroyer of iso-worlds :(

webwit
Wild Duck

08 May 2011, 14:02

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

01 Jun 2011, 13:36

Current mock-up

I'm just waiting on some stuff to make the adapter, and some keycaps from Unicomp. Soon, beast-keyboard shall be mine!

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jun 2011, 13:43

Needs Red Escape. Small LCD screen and touchpad left and right of the function keys. Pinup girl to the far top right. Rear view mirrors on the sides.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

12 Jun 2011, 18:53

Currently typing on the board. At the moment, I have a very crude adapter assembled outside the keyboard. I think instead I am just going to remove the original cable, put the microcontroller inside the keyboard, and use header pins to directly connect the keyboard's controller to it.

Findecanor

12 Jun 2011, 20:06

webwit wrote:Don't understand the fascination for APL caps. It's.. an ancient programming language.
Back in 2007, I visited a company that had a product that was written in APL. All the developers' keyboards that I saw were Model M:s with the special key set.
I saw and ad from them earlier this year that they were looking for more APL programmers.

Southparkfan1999

26 Nov 2011, 04:07

imo there is a typing nirvana and its the ibm model f 122 i love showing it to people who have never seen one and its always the same reaction

cloudhax

22 Jun 2019, 16:14

andrewjoy

24 Jun 2019, 16:14

You have a tab key on the numberpad! This pleases me!

Return to “Gallery”