Post your desktop.

ne0phyte
Toast.

03 Oct 2013, 12:14

phyrne wrote:So, I figured I'd finally post my setup, as I feel it's just about worthy to run with some of the masterpieces here!

[image]
That looks really nice :D
Which WM are you using? And what's the browser? Luakit? Uzbl?

I just turned my left monitor for a greatyl increased amount of LoC per screen. And as much as it hurts.. I have to admit that the SSK looks much better than the HHKB. If only it were black :roll:

Muirium
µ

03 Oct 2013, 12:18

Black! Well, there was a rather smart grey one. I believe Webwit has half the world's supply…

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t6540.html

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 12:25

ne0phyte wrote: That looks really nice :D
Which WM are you using? And what's the browser? Luakit? Uzbl?

I just turned my left monitor for a greatyl increased amount of LoC per screen. And as much as it hurts.. I have to admit that the SSK looks much better than the HHKB. If only it were black :roll:
Thanks! I'm using bspwm, I see your Arch mug, so I'm sure you know about it ;) And the browser is xombrero.
Yeah, screen real-estate is spent much better this way when spending all of your time writing code and/or in the shell.

Although I don't feel it's a matter of "what looks better than what", that SSK looks beautiful :) I like the colour it is now.

ne0phyte
Toast.

03 Oct 2013, 12:29

Yeah I know bspwm, but I didn't try it yet. I'm in the process of moving to dwm and bar (bar ain't recursive) from xmonad and xmobar.

In my opinion everything electronic should be matt black!

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 12:36

ne0phyte wrote:Yeah I know bspwm, but I didn't try it yet. I'm in the process of moving to dwm and bar (bar ain't recursive) from xmonad and xmobar.

In my opinion everything electronic should be matt black!
Heh, perhaps I should share pictures of all my components. The only non matte black piece of equipment I own is my VT220 ;)

Sweet, yeah, that's a good upgrade. dwm is great, and so is bar. If you haven't already, you should stroll over to UnixHub or join us on irc (#unixhub @ irc.unixhub.net) some time. A lot of chatter about *nix, and a lot of us are "ricers".

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

03 Oct 2013, 14:53

phyrne wrote:So, I figured I'd finally post my setup, as I feel it's just about worthy to run with some of the masterpieces here!

Click the image to see the full album :)
Sweet setup! and the VT220 is a nice touch.
I've been using Xmonad on Gentoo have to take a look at BSPWM.
Last edited by Game Theory on 03 Oct 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 14:55

Game Theory wrote: Sweet setup! and the VT220 is a nice touch.
Thanks! Yeah I love it :D

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

03 Oct 2013, 16:42

very nice setup, phyrne! but where is your mouse/CST?

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 16:52

Broadmonkey wrote:very nice setup, phyrne! but where is your mouse/CST?
Thanks Broadmonkey :) I've taken to not using a cursor at all. I used to use a CST, but, it actually broke after some modification, and as I'd been considering going "cursorless" for some time, I figured I'd stick to it, and it's been going great!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

03 Oct 2013, 17:06

well, good bye RSI :P but isn't it quite tedious to navigate in your browser and such?

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 17:34

Broadmonkey wrote:well, good bye RSI :P but isn't it quite tedious to navigate in your browser and such?
Heh, let's hope! Hmm, I don't feel it is no, I use hints to follow links and what not. The only thing I have left to tackle is selecting and copying paste within the browser from the keyboard.

I know WebKit-GTK has a "caret" mode, and there's a browser called 'dwb' that has the ability to enter caret mode to achieve exactly what I'm looking for (along with some other killer features). It's not packaged on OpenBSD, so, I've just gotta build it, then that's everything I needed a cursor for eliminated :)

Beastie

03 Oct 2013, 22:28

Learn to code and implement it in Xombrero! :)

phyrne

03 Oct 2013, 23:15

Beastie wrote:Learn to code and implement it in Xombrero! :)
Where will I find the time? ; _ ;

cookie

04 Oct 2013, 14:12

Wow phyrne,
This is such a nice setup you have there!
ne0phyte wrote:....I have to admit that the SSK looks much better than the HHKB...[/img]
Dude, blasphemy! :D

Okeg

05 Oct 2013, 17:19

As always, Phyrne: Nice setup!

phyrne

06 Oct 2013, 16:16

cookie wrote:Wow phyrne,
This is such a nice setup you have there!
Thank you cookie :)
Okeg wrote:As always, Phyrne: Nice setup!
Hey Okeg! Thanks man ;)

beltet

19 Oct 2013, 22:43

mr_a500 wrote:Here's my setup:
setup.jpg
My HP monitor case and stand broke (cheap junk), but surprisingly the monitor looks even better without it - metal and thinner. The screen is made by LG. Apparently, all HP contributed to the monitor was the cheap plastic case that broke.
Is it 1950 or 2150? I can't tell!
Anyway I would love that desk myself! Really slick!

scottc

20 Oct 2013, 20:33

Click the image to see the full album :)
This is a gorgeous setup, nice and minimalist! The VT220 is a nice touch.

I'd post my own except it's currently way too messy and unorganised to show to the outside world, and my poor Model M is AFK pending my bolt mod screws to arrive. :(

mr_a500

20 Oct 2013, 23:08

I'm surprised that VT220 monitor is green-screen. All the photos I've seen in BYTE magazines show it as a light blue. But I just did a Google search and I see it later even came in amber.
beltet wrote:Is it 1950 or 2150? I can't tell!
The monitor? It's a HP 2211x. (a bit blurry and limited config, but not bad for the price)

The Commodore desk is super heavy and the drawers don't all fit that nicely. When I move, I'm leaving it behind. You can have it, but it might be a bit tricky shipping it to Sweden. ;)

beltet

24 Oct 2013, 02:29

mr_a500 wrote:I'm surprised that VT220 monitor is green-screen. All the photos I've seen in BYTE magazines show it as a light blue. But I just did a Google search and I see it later even came in amber.
The monitor? It's a HP 2211x. (a bit blurry and limited config, but not bad for the price)

The Commodore desk is super heavy and the drawers don't all fit that nicely. When I move, I'm leaving it behind. You can have it, but it might be a bit tricky shipping it to Sweden. ;)
No I meant the whole design, the year of it. looks retro and futuristic in the same time. Love that combo.
Thx for the offer on the desk, but i'm not enough interested to pay the shipping ;).
But nice one!

mr_a500

24 Oct 2013, 23:16

beltet wrote:
mr_a500 wrote:
The monitor? It's a HP 2211x.
No I meant the whole design, the year of it. looks retro and futuristic in the same time.
Oh... you were talking about what year. Yes, I often have difficulty knowing what year it is. I know it's not 2150 though, because if it was I'd be a shrivelled head in a jar on the desk, with electrodes coming out of my brain, controlling some robotic hands to type on that keyboard. (yes, in 2150 I'd still insist on using a keyboard - even though everybody else would be using augmented nose-controlled laser communicators by then)

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Oct 2013, 01:41

You'd be that old and far gone by 2150? You must be the first person on the forum who makes me feel young, instead of old …

nourathar

28 Oct 2013, 23:28

ok,
certainly not as hifi as the latest pictures, but here the two setups I'm currently vacillating between:
setup_filco.JPG
setup_filco.JPG (211.88 KiB) Viewed 7502 times
and:
setup_northgate.JPG
setup_northgate.JPG (195.06 KiB) Viewed 7502 times

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Oct 2013, 23:38

+1 For manly Northgate white complicated Alps keyboard :ugeek:
-1 For neck pain hipster vertical monitor :?

nourathar

29 Oct 2013, 21:55

eheh, typing on the Northgate hulk sure feels manly, but I don't agree with the hipster vertical part; :roll:
ever since I first saw vertical monitors for the first time (I think they were Next computers or early Apple, I don't remember) those seemed more logical and practical to me, and in my case it helps me keep a manly straight back instead of assuming some droopy posture in front of a fake horizon... :mrgreen:

cookie

30 Oct 2013, 18:23

I like the "Hipster Vertical Monitor" escpecially if you do it like phyme :)

Kurk

30 Oct 2013, 20:50

Damn hipster monitors!

ne0phyte
Toast.

09 Nov 2013, 20:21

Whenever I clean my desk I take the chance and take a picture :mrgreen:
Spoiler:

aaron

10 Nov 2013, 00:19

Another Arch Linux user here :)
BVO8bwbIAAA9scR.png