Problem with a new Ducky Shine 3

Kneon

24 Oct 2013, 12:11

I brought a Ducky Shine 3 with Brown switches, it's my first mechanical keyboard and I love the way it feels and how it is as a keyboard but there seems to be a problem with it which I think has to do with the firmware. Sometimes when I go to type it takes 10-30 seconds to start typing, other times while typing letters will also be delayed, get repeated or just don't register at all which ends up making typing a real chore. Also when playing games if I'm holding down a few keys and then release one all of the keys stop registering, for example when i'm holding W to go forward, shift to block and space to run, and decide to stop running I will no longer be blocking or going forward even though I'm still holding down those two keys.

I did the factory reset that the keyboard can do, and uninstalled the drivers but the problems still there, sometimes it happens all the time and others not as frequent, but a problem occurs at least once every time I type something. If it helps I use the reactive lighting mode, and the keys always light up when pressed even if they don't register as being pressed on the computer, any ideas how to fix this or should I try get an replacement through my warranty?

Muirium
µ

24 Oct 2013, 14:54

Sounds like it's really hosed. If you still get that kind of trouble when hooked up to a second computer, replace!

Hypersphere

24 Oct 2013, 17:32

Muirium wrote:Sounds like it's really hosed. If you still get that kind of trouble when hooked up to a second computer, replace!
I concur. I had a Ducky Shine II, but I gave it away with full disclosure of numerous quality control issues. Ducky seems enormously successful and their keyboards have plenty of extra features, but IMO you can find keyboards from other companies with much better quality, even at comparable prices.

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

24 Oct 2013, 20:40

Did you already run the latest firware update? There was some bug with certain USB controllers on earlier firmware but it was fixed. Shine 3 DK9008 firmware download link (US ANSI V1.1.6, ISO V3.1.0):

(US ANSI layout):http://goo.gl/9NX7ie

(European ISO layout):http://goo.gl/15dlmR

If you have the latest(bug free firmware) and still experience such problems then pls try on another computer just to write off other possibilities of fault besides the keyboard.

Kneon

25 Oct 2013, 00:45

Muirium wrote:Sounds like it's really hosed. If you still get that kind of trouble when hooked up to a second computer, replace!
I tried it out on another computer, and it seemed to work just fine, I ran the firmware update and have tried to reinstall my keyboard drivers on my main PC but the problem still persists, should i try to do a fresh install of windows?

Muirium
µ

25 Oct 2013, 01:20

Keyboard drivers? Far as I know, any modern keyboard works entirely without custom drivers.

Kneon

25 Oct 2013, 01:41

Muirium wrote:Keyboard drivers? Far as I know, any modern keyboard works entirely without custom drivers.
Maybe it's something to do with USB drivers or something similar, anyway here's a picture of what I re-installed.

Edit: I formatted and reinstalled windows, the problems still persist.
Attachments
This is what I reinstalled
This is what I reinstalled
Driver.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 17880 times

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

25 Oct 2013, 09:43

Ya, forget about keyboard drivers. They all use default drivers, theres no need to uninstall/reinstall them.

As the keyboard seems to work fine on another computer i would pinpoint this to the USB-controller on your computer. Heres some things u can try:

-> If your using on USB3.0 port(blue) then try switching to USB2.0 port

-> If your using desktop PC then try swapping from back to front USB (might use different controller on motherboard). If the problem persist then try to find out the correct USB-controller on motherboard and then download & install drivers for it separately

-> if your using a laptop (and somekind of all-in-one driver installation package) then try to find out the correct USB-controller and then download & install drivers for it separately

-> Try with an active USB-hub in between if u have (an USB-hub that has its own power supply)

Kneon

09 Nov 2013, 12:12

Ducky Nordic wrote:Ya, forget about keyboard drivers. They all use default drivers, theres no need to uninstall/reinstall them.

As the keyboard seems to work fine on another computer i would pinpoint this to the USB-controller on your computer. Heres some things u can try:

-> If your using desktop PC then try swapping from back to front USB (might use different controller on motherboard). If the problem persist then try to find out the correct USB-controller on motherboard and then download & install drivers for it separately

-> if your using a laptop (and somekind of all-in-one driver installation package) then try to find out the correct USB-controller and then download & install drivers for it separately

-> Try with an active USB-hub in between if u have (an USB-hub that has its own power supply)

I did all of these things except check it with a USB with its own power supply, and nothing changed but when I turn off the LEDS the problems virtually disappear with only minor issues happening very rarely so I'm going to buy a USB hub with a power supply as it seems to be the best way to fix it, thanks for all the help and sorry for the late reply.

LeyZ

02 Jan 2014, 14:54

i got same problem here, what your solution Kneon? i buy new Ducky Shine 3 brown switches, got what your problem and go back to store change other keyboard but still like that, i play battlefield 4, hold shift+w to run suddenly can't move.. need to release and press "W" again to move.. help.. sorry bad english :)

fart_toast

02 Jan 2014, 16:33

LeyZ wrote:i got same problem here, what your solution Kneon? i buy new Ducky Shine 3 brown switches, got what your problem and go back to store change other keyboard but still like that, i play battlefield 4, hold shift+w to run suddenly can't move.. need to release and press "W" again to move.. help.. sorry bad english :)

Also make sure you don't have the typing acceleration mode above normal for gaming. It made my soldier stutter or stop sprinting and stutter after roughly 1 second in battlefield 4 when I accidentally left the typing acceleration feature increased. Worked fine when I set it to normal again.

Muirium
µ

02 Jan 2014, 16:39

Acceleration issues are the only problem I've experienced with my Shine 3 TKL. And that was because I didn't know what they were! Press Fn+F9 to display the acceleration status using their backlights. You probably want to see F1 and F5 lit. The two first groups of four function keys are used to control acceleration. Just press Fn+F1 and Fn+F5 to set it down to those (the default) then Fn+F9 again to turn the indicators off and get back to the full lighting modes. Well, unless you want to keep an eye on them.

GinaOh

22 Feb 2014, 18:33

Thanks so much for the above two replies. I had been having problems with my new keyboard and was quite upset that it kept dc'ing me from game and just generally being unresponsive at times. I think by accident, I had put on acceleration, I remember reading about it and thought oh! what's this....

Have just reset to factory default then did the above.

Made my day, thanks a bunch :D

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2014, 18:45

You're welcome. I've no idea what those settings are actually intended for (my other keyboards have no such thing) but the defaults are easy to reach.

Txduck

29 Apr 2014, 06:50

Ducky Nordic wrote:Ya, forget about keyboard drivers. They all use default drivers, theres no need to uninstall/reinstall them.

I "Had" the same exact problem as the OP did.....I have a new Ducky 9087 TKL Shine 3, and right out of the box I started having what appeared to be acceleration problems. Skipping letters, skipping words, or repeating a letter maybe 20 times, etc. Resetting to defaults didn't help. Then I discovered if I shut off the LEDs, it would type just fine, just like
happened to OP Kneon.
I started doing Google searches and came up with this thread, and your suggestion about the USB controllers and what you said about switching from a 3.0 to 2.0 or vice versa.

I was using a USB 2.0 port, so I switched to a 3.0 port and PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Not that 3.0 itself was the answer, the answer was a different USB controller.
Thank you very very much Ducky Nordic! Your answer was right on! :D

Jeffy14

26 Jul 2014, 21:01

Hello,

Guys I have the same problem... When playing FPS I noticed that some key wont register. Like sometimes I am pressing forward but not moving, I have to repress the key. That's very annoying. I tried to turn off the back light and I believe it worked fine. I did not experiment long enough. But in any case this should not happen...
I want the back light always one...

Has anyone else tries a USB hub with its own power supply?

Thx a lot

tedsim

13 Sep 2014, 19:20

Don't re-install your Windows over issues like these! When USB devices are buggy, there's usually some sort of incompatibility with your system, which won't go away by re-installing things the same way. You have to track down the problem.

When having trouble with USB devices, it's often the USB controller. I recommend to everyone who has a desktop computer to keep at least one internal expansion slot available to add another USB controller, if the need should arise. Sure a USB Hub might just fix the issue, too, but sometimes it's better to use a completely different USB controller, and for that you need an internal PCI / PCIE slot.

Another annoying thing that can happen if your controller doesn't like your USB device is "throwing it out" repeatedly. Sometimes my mouse stays dead for no apparent reason... it's probably the USB controller OR the hub that my mouse is connected to.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Sep 2014, 22:14

The x90 and x010 series OptiPlex PCs from Dell seem to have had defective USB controllers. I am not clear on the problem, but it manifests itself as devices being completely ignored when they are plugged in. I have two SanDisk flash drives, and one of them in particular won't get recognised sometimes until you reconnect it a couple of times.

The other well-known problem is boot — I tried entering the BIOS of a Packard Bell PC using a Motorola StarMax keyboard¹ (a rebranded MacAlly) via my iMate, and it was completely ignored. My OptiPlex 9010 won't talk to my Filco Majestouch 1 until UEFI is done booting — the keyboard hangs with all lights lit. I had no issue with an old Acer semi-mechanical connected via a PS/2 to USB adapter though; I broke it when I had it apart (as the membranes were glued to the controller) but I had enough keys left working to enter the UEFI interface and operate it.

¹ I remember once saying that this was actually worse than an AppleDesign keyboard, and it's true. It really is a horrid keyboard, just 100% pure nearly linear mush. I broke both my AppleDesign Keyboards though — seems the membranes aren't connected properly in either.

Return to “Keyboards”