Post your desktop.

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2013, 14:28

Oh, I have a globe too. (For fondling in quiet moments of world-dominating desire.) And a frickin' G4, baby!
photo 2-2.JPG
photo 2-2.JPG (392.89 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
This is my unintentionally retro standing desk. Not the fastest beast around, but good for my back and for playing podcasts.
photo 3-2.JPG
photo 3-2.JPG (228.02 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
The SSK is, of course, worth more than the 17" iMac. Which I picked up for free a few years ago! Note the PowerPC port of Firefox…

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 15:05

Too much sitting is becoming a pain in the arse - so I made a standing dock for my new notebook:
docking.jpg
(ignore the cheap junk dresser - it was the only thing tall enough I could use)

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 15:10

Muirium wrote:Oh, I have a globe too. (For fondling in quiet moments of world-dominating desire.)
I saw this before seeing your picture and I thought you were fondling an old globe of the world in a sinister way... like a James Bond villain. (...as I have done oh so many times before...)

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2013, 15:28

A beamspring practically converts anything into a standing desk all by itself. I was reading through an IBM brochure yesterday which described the Model Fs as "low profile". Then it showed a beamspring and said "typewriter style keyboard", while moving swiftly on!

My globe is old enough to be thoroughly confused about the world. It shows the full British, French, German and Japanese Empires; but has the Soviet Union in place of the Tsar. I'm sure it's post 1945 though.

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 15:49

I'd like to see Apple come out with beam spring notebooks. I can imagine the traditional marketing nonsense, with a Jonathan Ive quote:

"We decided to rethink everything we ever knew about keyboards. Design isn't just about being thin, but about enhancing the entire user experience. With the new MacBeam Pro, the keyboard response is just incredible. It brings a whole new level of engineering excellence. At 5.5 inches thick and 23 lbs, we believe this is the most substantial notebook we've ever made."

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2013, 15:55

"I think people will really be able to feel for themselves that we've done nothing short of reinvent the very concept of notebook ergonomics. With the new integrated wheels we created for this design, you'll get the best of both worlds in everyday use. The reassuring heft of a cast iron appliance, and the luggable lightness of a trolley-wheeled portable device."

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 16:13

At least it would still be far lighter and smaller than my other "portables" - the Kaypros and IBM Portable Personal Computer (5155).

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2013, 16:56

Ssh! It's alone time with the globe again.

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 17:13

I do that... only classier:

nathanscribe

10 Nov 2013, 17:24

mr_a500 wrote:Too much sitting is becoming a pain in the arse - so I made a standing dock for my new notebook:
Spoiler:
docking.jpg
What's the hub? Look chunky for just a USB lump.

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 17:38

It's this thing. Two USB ports isn't enough when you want to connect a keyboard, trackball, numpad, music player, external disks and numerous flash thingies. 16 ports is a bit overkill, but it's better than... uh... underkill.

snoopy

10 Nov 2013, 17:54

mr_a500 wrote:Too much sitting is becoming a pain in the arse - so I made a standing dock for my new notebook:
docking.jpg
isn't it uncomfortable to type on that board cause of that missing front piece? :shock:

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2013, 17:58

Wrist rests are decadent and depraved!

mr_a500

10 Nov 2013, 18:07

snoopy wrote:isn't it uncomfortable to type on that board cause of that missing front piece? :shock:
A bit... but I plan on replacing the piece after I paint it. (black or silver)

I can type... as webwit puts it.. like I'm "scratching a window" - so I don't always need to rest my wrists.

nourathar

10 Nov 2013, 18:32

be careful with those globes lest they take over:
Spoiler:
Moon-In-Wall.jpg
Moon-In-Wall.jpg (159.21 KiB) Viewed 9035 times

nathanscribe

10 Nov 2013, 21:21

mr_a500 wrote:It's this thing. Two USB ports isn't enough when you want to connect a keyboard, trackball, numpad, music player, external disks and numerous flash thingies. 16 ports is a bit overkill, but it's better than... uh... underkill.
Ha! Excellent. Makes my 7-port look like a toy. :)

Compgeke

12 Nov 2013, 23:19

And that's why you should buy a 49 port hub.

http://www.amazon.com/iPads-iPhones-iPo ... B00803GVNE

mr_a500

12 Nov 2013, 23:32

Holy shit - over $1000 for a hub?? No thanks.

Smoothers

05 Dec 2013, 22:33

nourathar wrote:ok,
certainly not as hifi as the latest pictures, but here the two setups I'm currently vacillating between:
setup_filco.JPG
and:
setup_northgate.JPG
Seems like a lot of folks on deskthority mess with arch. Which is kinda what inspired me to check it out.

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Dec 2013, 00:40

One set of Cherry profile doubleshots:
In Soviet Russia.jpg
In Soviet Russia.jpg (161.5 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
My home Filco has the same doubleshots but with blue and green reversed. Neither scheme really does anything for me, not like I imagined it would, and the wrong profile caps are a bit incongruous, which is why I posted a request for similar profile black modifiers to help reduce the mismatch. (No reply, though.)

I also requested several times for green/blue F keys for Topre — no reply to any post, but 002 was kind enough to send over some spares.

(I don't know what's happened to the two group buys I'm waiting on — one day I'll see if Taiwan Tai-Hao's green works any better.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Dec 2013, 09:02

phyrne wrote:So, I figured I'd finally post my setup, as I feel it's just about worthy to run with some of the masterpieces here!

Click the image to see the full album :)
I have the same coca-cola mirror. I think I bought it on Portobello Road, London.
aaron wrote:Another Arch Linux user here :)
BVO8bwbIAAA9scR.png
A lot of multi-monitor setups here... and Arch linux :) Nice setup, how's the noppoo?

Aleksander

09 Dec 2013, 00:02

Crappy photo of my setup, I have misplaced the flash for my Sony NEX5, soooo... it's not really as dark as it looks, stupid camera!
3x27" BenQs, I have a 4th one that will be on top of the centre screen, need to find a decent wallmount-bracket first.
Preparing my Ergodox-case to be milled out of carbon fibre :)

mj45

09 Dec 2013, 14:10

I decided to try my hand at a wood wrist-rest for my Realforce 87u55g. The Realforce's are very low profile and most rests are way too thick. I made this from Cocobolo wood with a low profile to fit my preference, it also sets off a plain black RF.
Attachments
Realforce wood.jpg
Realforce wood.jpg (706.66 KiB) Viewed 8461 times

cookie

09 Dec 2013, 16:15

Aleksander wrote:Crappy photo of my setup, I have misplaced the flash for my Sony NEX5, soooo... it's not really as dark as it looks, stupid camera!
3x27" BenQs, I have a 4th one that will be on top of the centre screen, need to find a decent wallmount-bracket first.
Spoiler:
Verry nice desk! I like how clean it is.

What Keyboard is it?

@MJ45: The wooden wrist rest looks great!

Mikelittoris

09 Dec 2013, 16:43

cookie wrote:
Aleksander wrote:Crappy photo of my setup, I have misplaced the flash for my Sony NEX5, soooo... it's not really as dark as it looks, stupid camera!
Spoiler:

What Keyboard is it?

@MJ45: The wooden wrist rest looks great!
Looks like one of those duckmini Image

Aleksander

09 Dec 2013, 16:51

cookie wrote:

What Keyboard is it?

Thanks! Its not that clean all the time thou :p

I bought the keyboard from Matt3o a week or two ago, and as Mike...... pointed out, it is a Duckmini v2.

cookie

09 Dec 2013, 18:22

Verry nice keyboard :) Like the caps too!

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

13 Dec 2013, 23:56

Muirium
µ

14 Dec 2013, 00:04

The professor's work looks intriguing. That white on black look is exactly how I like to do things, too. Blueprints? Blackprints!

Oh and the HiPro is nice, naturally.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

14 Dec 2013, 00:25

I'm usually too lazy to do desktop wall papers...but these are a bunch of keyboard patents.
Each monitor is a different patent, any guesses?

Return to “Gallery”