Kaypro 386 Keyboard

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

26 Nov 2013, 03:06

To commemorate the 3rd Annual Deskthority Awards, I'm going to completely take over the Photos & Videos column on the frontpage :mrgreen:

This was a keyboard find by a DT member, Parak. Something I originally identified as foam'n'foil, but didn't realize it was clicky too!!
Unfortunately I don't know which Kaypro model this keyboard was for, just that it could be, at the earliest, the Kaypro 386 Keyboard.
In terms of being Foam'n'Foil, the switch is pretty standard. I haven't yet gone and compared all the known capacitive sensing PCBs yet (something that needs to be done before I/or someone else) can start on categorizing the Foam'n'Foil switches.
What is interesting here, is that it has an Alps-like click leaf in each of the switches!

The keyboard was manufactured by Deyi Technology Co. in Taiwan as the Delta Enhanced Keyboard. The PCB and FCC number indicate that it was built around 1988.

Daemon Raccoon

26 Nov 2013, 03:21

An ALPS-esque click leaf, MX Compatible Caps, and Capacitive Foam and Foil. all of my wat.

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2013, 12:59

Put some Round 5s on it, I dare!

Capacitative clicky switches, how the world needs more of these. How does the sound and feel compare to a Model F?

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Nov 2013, 22:26

Clicky foam and foil?

Interestingly, those keycaps remind me a lot of the Monterey K101/K102 keycaps.

Edit: Yes, they're the same keycaps. The case designs are also so similar, that it's likely that they came from the same factory too. It's quite possible (and pretty likely) that, like most public-facing companies, Monterey have no manufacturing capacity of their own.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

05 Jun 2014, 01:54

The keycaps are indeed Cherry MX Compatible.

jacobolus

14 Mar 2016, 06:32

JP!

10 Sep 2020, 05:01

I picked this one up a while back and realized this board is exactly the same as Haata's minus the Kaypro 386 branding.

deyi1.jpg
deyi1.jpg (590.65 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
deyi2.jpg
deyi2.jpg (377.01 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Definitely a unique and uncommon switch design. Foam and foil the way it should have been. Now I just need to modify these switches with Topre springs to make this a truly Frankenstein switch with it's "ALPS-esque click leaf, MX Compatible Caps, and Capacitive Foam and Foil".

deyi3.jpg
deyi3.jpg (624.09 KiB) Viewed 3896 times

Return to “Gallery”