Hands free mousing

hoggy

29 Apr 2011, 20:11

Does anyone have any experience with http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/pr ... ideos.html?

It's a motion tracker - uses glasses, a hat or a dot you stick on your face, then just move your head to move the mouse pointer.

$500 though... Looks pretty cool.

ripster

30 Apr 2011, 02:42

I have the flight sim model.

Bottom center.

Works great for the rather broad movements of a flight sim. As a mouse replacement..... not for me. I'd rather trackball with my feet. Or penis.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 May 2011, 03:54

Stylus style?

7bit

09 May 2011, 17:22

webwit wrote:Stylus style?

Great to see I'm over avarage. :ugeek:

Or did they include the sizes for women to the statistics as well? :?

runeazn

09 May 2011, 18:02

16"

damm thats long!!!

Gilgam

13 May 2011, 20:37

It's cm i think ...

This study comes from two sources :
declarative size
scientific measures

You can see that France and Italy have had declarative study ;-)

hoggy

28 May 2011, 22:11

I purchased a SmartNav. Impressed.

After a few hours use (at home so I can take it into work when I've got upto speed with it) it feels totally natural to move your head to move the mouse pointer. It works by detecting infra-red light reflected from special dots. The associated baseball cap has a small strip of this reflective material on the brim - and it works really well, much better than sticking a dot on your forehead.

I'm looking forward to taking it to work and well, when I'm really comfortable with it, I can shake my head at other computers and wonder why the mouse doesn't move. Either that or walk into town with a reflective bindi dot.

Findecanor

28 May 2011, 23:54

... and now beings the wait for the post where hoggy is complaining about the pain in his neck. :)

hoggy

29 May 2011, 08:25

It is a little tough on the neck. :) Checking out their forums - this seems to be a common problem at the start.

It seems that with more experience, the muscles have chance to adapt and I can alter the sensitivity so the muscles don't have to do as much work. I hoping it will become as 'effortless' as using the mouse

sordna

01 Jun 2011, 09:05

How do you right click, left click, middle click, double click, scroll, drag, etc with this thing?

hoggy

01 Jun 2011, 10:06

You can use -
  • remapped keys
  • the buttons of a mouse (defeats the point I know)
  • dwell clicking (your head moves slightly all the time so it shouldn't be a big problem)
  • two accessibility buttons (two sockets at the back of the camera - you can mount the switches anywhere)
  • speech recognition (I left click around 3000 times a day, I wouldn't want to say 'left click' that often)
I've only just stumbled on the world of accessibility buttons. There's another world of manufacturers selling expensive mechanical switches...

This site might have some different ideas for those planning keyboard or mouse mods http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/4/DIY/index.htm

Return to “Mice & other input devices”