Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2013, 19:48

mr_a500 wrote:Actually, I think this thread could use an Atari too:

(older photo with cheap camera)
It's a nice composition. The chessboard is there to give you something to do while software loads from floppy?

I'll add some Kishsaver action once I've cleaned mine up, and the clouds part at midday just long enough to let in the creeping shadows of our midwinter sun.
Last edited by Muirium on 17 Dec 2013, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Dec 2013, 19:48

800XL you say? That calls for nice shots of its switches. (600 and 800 families had a lot of switch types.)

This page needs a lot of expansion: [wiki]Atari 800[/wiki] — including positive photographic identification of the Stackpole and Hi-Tek keyboards, and an illustration of how they differ from each other to help in the quest to be able to tell them apart without needing branding.

mr_a500

17 Dec 2013, 19:58

Muirium wrote:It's a nice composition. The chessboard is there to give you something to do while software loads from floppy?
Thanks. No waiting for floppy though - notice the SD card reader under the joystick. High speed SIO mode is super fast.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:800XL you say? That calls for nice shots of its switches. (600 and 800 families had a lot of switch types.)

This page needs a lot of expansion: [wiki]Atari 800[/wiki] — including positive photographic identification of the Stackpole and Hi-Tek keyboards, and an illustration of how they differ from each other to help in the quest to be able to tell them apart without needing branding.
As I said before, this is a thread for oogling, not detailing switches. If you look at the AtariAge thread referenced in the Wiki, I posted switch photos there.

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2013, 20:03

mr_a500 wrote:No waiting for floppy though - notice the SD card reader under the joystick. High speed SIO mode is super fast.
Cheat!

(If I had a working Mac SE/30, I'd do something like that as well. The closest to true 20th century retro I have these day is emulators: real cheating.)

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Dec 2013, 20:07

I didn't say post them here. The AtariAge forum has at least two problems: a) the details and text aren't on our wiki, so anyone trying to read up has to bounce in and out of other websites, websites subject to change or disappearance, and being forums, not written for conciseness, and b) they don't contain any proof whatosever about the Stackpole and Hi-Tek keyboards! How do we know there's a Hi-Tek one? Because somebody said so. A lot of long-standing misconceptions arise from assumptions passed down like Chinese whispers, which is why I'm always anxious to get hard evidence to back everything up — the quality of our knowledge is improving immensely as accurate information is sought and catalogued, but there's a long way to go. Besides, the confirmation photos will help with the switch recognition — the implication that these keyboards are branded implies that we can get some more hard data points.

mr_a500

17 Dec 2013, 20:11

Muirium wrote:Cheat!

(If I had a working Mac SE/30, I'd do something like that as well. The closest to true 20th century retro I have these day is emulators: real cheating.)
My Amiga 500 uses compact flash as a hard drive and my TRS-80 Model 100 has a SD card reader. I don't consider using modern storage as a "cheat". Once the data gets into the computer, it's the real thing working on that data. I'd consider a graphics card in an Amiga or Atari as a cheat.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 17 Dec 2013, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

mr_a500

17 Dec 2013, 20:14

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:I didn't say post them here. The AtariAge forum has at least two problems: a) the details and text aren't on our wiki, so anyone trying to read up has to bounce in and out of other websites, websites subject to change or disappearance, and being forums, not written for conciseness, and b) they don't contain any proof whatosever about the Stackpole and Hi-Tek keyboards! How do we know there's a Hi-Tek one? Because somebody said so. A lot of long-standing misconceptions arise from assumptions passed down like Chinese whispers, which is why I'm always anxious to get hard evidence to back everything up — the quality of our knowledge is improving immensely as accurate information is sought and catalogued, but there's a long way to go. Besides, the confirmation photos will help with the switch recognition — the implication that these keyboards are branded implies that we can get some more hard data points.
I can take my photos from the AtariAge site and put them in the Wiki. I only had 3 different Atari keyboards (all XL), so I have no knowledge about the original 800 keyboards. (besides what I've read)

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

17 Dec 2013, 20:45

I have an original NTSC Atari 800 (and an 130 XE iirc). I'll bring it up from the basement to check on the switches when work slows a bit.

mr_a500

17 Dec 2013, 22:45

Back to photos... here's another VT-100 shot:
VT100u.JPG
Yes, it's upside down. What of it?

Muirium
µ

17 Dec 2013, 22:48

Black alphas, white number pad. Today seems to be some kind of conspiracy to make me order some of those. But I'm a TKL guy!

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

22 Dec 2013, 07:25

And because I took some pictures just before I went on vacation...

VEB Elektroschaltgeräte Auerbach K7634

Muirium
µ

22 Dec 2013, 12:36

The clear relegendables(?) remind me of this:
Which reminds me of drink. Which in turn reminds me of the awful feeling when you realise you just accidentally hit RESET!

Sadists…

mr_a500

22 Dec 2013, 13:41

I love this page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/

...but it needs more keyboards. :mrgreen:

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

23 Dec 2013, 01:58

mr_a500 wrote:I love this page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/

...but it needs more keyboards. :mrgreen:
I'm working on it :mrgreen:

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Dec 2013, 13:00

This is just a keycap but I thought I'd post it. Taken with a 50mm F1.8 E series lens, some cheap extension tubes and a yongnuo 560 flash.
30% size
100% size

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

29 Dec 2013, 13:07

No crooked E?!?
A very nice picture indeed!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Dec 2013, 13:19

Sorry for thread crapping... but I really wanted to go metaphysical :)
metakey.jpg
metakey.jpg (272.86 KiB) Viewed 17574 times

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Dec 2013, 13:27

matt3o wrote:Sorry for thread crapping... but I really wanted to go metaphysical :)
metakey.jpg
Hah! That's great :D

mr_a500

29 Dec 2013, 16:02

photekq wrote: Image
Nice closeup. I've got to get some lenses - and a tripod. I've just been taking pictures holding a light in one hand and focusing with the other while trying not to breathe. A third arm would have helped. Actually, my dream in life is to become an octopus.

kps

29 Dec 2013, 17:49

GO TO from IBM Displaywriter
GO TO from IBM Displaywriter
GOTO.jpg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 17533 times
Sigh. Some day I need to get back to work on the font (–s… having just noticed that the regular ‘G’ has a tail and this one doesn't).

IvanIvanovich

30 Dec 2013, 02:35

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Dec 2013, 20:40

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh :D

Ducky Nordic
Kayvee

02 Jan 2014, 15:03

Phone quality pic :oops:
...but matchy matchy with da outmeal stout :D

mr_a500

02 Jan 2014, 17:15

Ah, the Prime keyboard. That's a nice looking keyboard - but I'm sure you can take a more "loving" photograph than that. (...minus the stout - save that for the "Keyboards that look like stout bottles" thread, which I'm sure will show up shortly :P)

scottc

02 Jan 2014, 18:23

mr_a500 wrote:Ah, the Prime keyboard. That's a nice looking keyboard - but I'm sure you can take a more "loving" photograph than that. (...minus the stout - save that for the "Keyboards that look like stout bottles" thread, which I'm sure will show up shortly :P)
That is... genius... 7bit, your next group buy must be in the colours of beers! So that we can always have a matching beer beside our keyboards.

Kurk

03 Jan 2014, 14:32

Here's something I've found the other day. There's more to come.
Attachments
macro shot rhombus, G, X
macro shot rhombus, G, X
rhombus-G-X.jpg (403.71 KiB) Viewed 17357 times

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

05 Jan 2014, 22:13

photekq
Cherry Picker

14 Jan 2014, 16:37

A few macro photos of a GH60, and also of a machined brass keycap (edsyn logo). I wiped that GH60 logo multiple times with IPA and kimwipes, but there were always some fibres.. :?

mr_a500

14 Jan 2014, 22:22

Here's an "artsy" photo I just took:
IBM-80.JPG

Monkay

15 Jan 2014, 00:22

I am just getting started here on Deskthority, so I wanted to share some nice photos I took of my Ducky.

Return to “Gallery”