CM Storm Xornet Refresh? Any feedback/suggestions?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jan 2014, 10:31

Hey DT guys,

Here I am again with a idea which I would love some input on! :mrgreen:

In our current mouse line-up we have a entry level mouse; the Xornet. We are thinking of a refresh of this model since it has been around for quite some time. And we were wondering if you guys had any feedback for us on it.. Keep in mind it is targeted as a entry level mouse. Current MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) is 19,9 EURO
http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/Xornet/

A couple of questions about if we do a refresh;
- change nothing; mouse and spec is still OK at current price point. Keep price similar as it is now!
- Upgrade sensor? Pixart 3310? Avago 3988? Others? (price will increase)
- add braided cable? (price will increase)
- add LED effects? Logo, name and scroll wheel. (price will increase)
- flat PVC cable with gold plated connector? (price will increase)
- use different texture material for top? (price will increase)

What do you guys would like to see a maximum price for a entry level mouse? And for that price, what upgrades would you like to see for this little mouse?

Thanks guys, don't hesitate to comment, every single feedback is welcome!

CeeSA

14 Jan 2014, 11:20

I would like to see a Xornet with longer mouse buttons. I like the shape but I would like to use my fingers without cramping them. I also would prefer non framed side buttons for better usage.

Sensor upgrade to Pixart 3310 would be fine. Please not the Avago S3988 - if out of this series take the S3668.
The S3668 is known as one of the best sensors at all.

I am very interested in a light (< 90gr) mouse with a 3310.
No LED, no gold plated connector, no braided cable.

I would spend up to 35€ fot this. But I think with a 3310 Sensor it is no entry level mouse anymore.

HzFaq

14 Jan 2014, 11:33

I use a Spawn at home (I'm actually on my 2nd, I like them so much) and the Xornet at work, the only things I don't like about them are the mushy side buttons. Get some proper switches in there and I'll be happy. For the price, everything else is about right for me, all the "price will increase" bits aren't things that interest me or belong on an entry level device IMO. For an entry level mouse I'd pay £20-£25; I paid £25 for my Mx518 back in the day and about the same for both Spawns, I think the Xornet was around £15.

Findecanor

14 Jan 2014, 11:36

Xornet Refresh... Does it spray an aerosol of pine scent if you squeeze it? ;)
Sorry, but that is just my kneejerk reaction to the name ...

vun

14 Jan 2014, 12:40

Huge fan of the Xornet, and it's pretty good as it is. If you're going to change anything, it'd have to be a sensor upgrade, to something like the 3310.

No braided cable and no LEDs, please please please.
One of the major selling points is that it's cheap; it's probably the mouse that gives the most value for money out there. Don't spoil that by adding junk like LEDs.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jan 2014, 13:24

Alright guys I already see some good input! Keep it up while I make notes of every comment! :mrgreen:

scottc

14 Jan 2014, 13:40

I've never used an Xornet before (what does that name mean? XOR net? Exclusive-or network?) but I did buy a low-end Gigabyte GM-M5000 about a year or two ago (for about €20, so the same range as this) and I've been pretty happy with it for the price. In fact, it was so cheap that I had to buy two and give the spare one to my little brother to get Amazon Super Saver shipping. :D
I then got some a Logitech G500 while doing an internship last summer and it made me notice some small deficiencies in the cheaper one that annoyed me afterwards:
- Only had 2-way DPI switching - a scale (say with 2 buttons) is so much better
- Way too light - I like gaming mice to be relatively heavy
- Plastic felt really brittle in my hand, definitely not as solid as the Logitech

So if it had these things done right then it's already a solid low-end gaming mouse, in my opinion.

The braided cable, LEDs, gold plating (especially gold plating... does this even do anything?!) will just raise the price and aren't really huge benefits, in my opinion.

Then again, I don't know anything about the sensors, so maybe someone more knowledgeable could talk about those. :)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jan 2014, 15:02

scottc wrote:I've never used an Xornet before (what does that name mean? XOR net? Exclusive-or network?) but I did buy a low-end Gigabyte GM-M5000 about a year or two ago (for about €20, so the same range as this) and I've been pretty happy with it for the price. In fact, it was so cheap that I had to buy two and give the spare one to my little brother to get Amazon Super Saver shipping. :D
I then got some a Logitech G500 while doing an internship last summer and it made me notice some small deficiencies in the cheaper one that annoyed me afterwards:
- Only had 2-way DPI switching - a scale (say with 2 buttons) is so much better
- Way too light - I like gaming mice to be relatively heavy
- Plastic felt really brittle in my hand, definitely not as solid as the Logitech

So if it had these things done right then it's already a solid low-end gaming mouse, in my opinion.

The braided cable, LEDs, gold plating (especially gold plating... does this even do anything?!) will just raise the price and aren't really huge benefits, in my opinion.

Then again, I don't know anything about the sensors, so maybe someone more knowledgeable could talk about those. :)
Hi there... The name is based on the Green Hornet... During that time all our namings for mice were based on comics (Sentinel, Inferno, Spawn)..... And thanks for the feedback you provided :)!

scottc

14 Jan 2014, 15:06

CM Bram wrote:Hi there... The name is based on the Green Hornet... During that time all our namings for mice were based on comics (Sentinel, Inferno, Spawn)..... And thanks for the feedback you provided :)!
Ah okay, thanks, that makes sense. :D And no problem at all! I'll be sure so check the Xornet out if I need a new mouse any time soon.

davkol

14 Jan 2014, 15:30

First of all, big thank you to whoever designed the mouse. The shape is great, buttons including the wheel are easy to press (extremely important for me), overall build quality is decent. I'd actually get CM Storm Spawn due to higher dpi and on-board memory for button-remapping, if it was available in the Czech Republic. In fact, I'm currently using Roccat Savu, because it's not only a good mouse like xornet/spawn, but it has on-board memory *and* excellent configuration software for GNU/Linux. That's a killer feature for me. (Although G9x has on-board memory, but I went back to xornet at the time... because of its wheel.)

There's only one thing I don't like about xornet, given its price. The cable. It's too thick and gets in the way. I'm not sure braiding would help... I sort of like the cable on Logitech G300, it's quite flexible.

Actually, two things. Feet are way too big and it ought to be possible to open the mouse without removing them. Zowie MiCO is perfect in this regard IMO.

Then, I'd appreciate a mouse based on xornet with that two issues fixed and some extra stuff:
  • ambidextrous (i.e. without the rest on the right and with two side buttons on each side; still light)
  • with on-board memory, modifiers same as Roccat's EasyShift and open-source configuration software just like in case of Roccat mouses, as mentioned above
  • with higher max. dpi and smaller dpi steps (I prefer to use 1600, 2000 and something around 2500... not huge steps like 400-800-1600(-4000) or 500-1000-2000)
  • without any lights (or at least it should be possible to turn the lights off)

Elrick

16 Jan 2014, 12:07

scottc wrote: The braided cable, LEDs, gold plating (especially gold plating... does this even do anything?!) will just raise the price and aren't really huge benefits, in my opinion.
Just make a shape that will facilitate long term usage in every situation on your computer. Whether gaming, photoshoping, productivity, etc. Everyone seems to be designing mice for 4 year olds to catch their attention yet when you use the input device for any length of time it becomes painful and ridiculous.

Avoid spending money on useless extras just concentrate on making a mouse that can be used by everyone, everywhere.

Get back to designing a mouse that will last for years when used and make people remember what company produces decent input devices for their computer.

Chrishas

16 Jan 2014, 22:14

Removable cable would be a nice feature.

CeeSA

17 Jan 2014, 11:18

Chrishas wrote:Removable cable would be a nice feature.
that would add more wheigt. Please don't do it.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

17 Jan 2014, 15:57

CeeSA wrote:
Chrishas wrote:Removable cable would be a nice feature.
that would add more wheigt. Please don't do it.
Haha thats all personal prefference.. All feedback is welcome... Not only will a feature like that add to weight but also to cost and therefore final MSRP. And the MSRP of the Xornet is one of the strong points of it :mrgreen:

coccosoids

17 Jan 2014, 23:21

Well... ain't this a surprise? :)

I have a very humble and modest suggestion for you guys at this time: how about making it at all available?

I understand that you may probably be a niche brand, and please do understand that I do live in Romania... but even so, why these two products (Spawn and Xornet) are currently impossible to find in stock anywhere is hard for me comprehend.

Thank you.

vun

18 Jan 2014, 13:26

coccosoids wrote:Well... ain't this a surprise? :)

I have a very humble and modest suggestion for you guys at this time: how about making it at all available?

I understand that you may probably be a niche brand, and please do understand that I do live in Romania... but even so, why these two products (Spawn and Xornet) are currently impossible to find in stock anywhere is hard for me comprehend.

Thank you.
The Xornet should be available, but the Spawn was pulled out of EU after it got too much negative attention due to firmware issues(that are now fixed) as far as I know.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

20 Jan 2014, 11:43

coccosoids wrote:Well... ain't this a surprise? :)

Thank you.
Like Vun indeed mentioned the Spawn is no longer available in the EU overall. In the US and the rest of the world however it still is. And if you do have a Spawn you can check cmstorm.com for firmware upgrades!

The Xornet however should be available. In your specific country I do not know but we do have local people in a lot of countries handling the distribution of our products.. You can always check cmstore.eu however shipping costs could be a little high from NL to Romania.

Link to product page on cmstore.eu: http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/mice/xor ... ing-mouse/

wetto

21 Jan 2014, 19:22

What the CM Storm Xornet/Spawn needs is some better side buttons. Make them a lil bit larger, make them stick out a bit more. Stick to the TTC switches, no one complains about those, the problem is just the plastic structure.

Besides that, please, keep the internals similar on the new model, keep that lovely ALPS scroll (although if I'm not mistaken the Xornet uses a TTC scroll, which is also good), maybe replace the switches with the OMRON 10M or 20M (only if necessary) and maybe get a better cable (not that I'm compaining, but I've seen plenty of people not buying it just because it was not a nylon braided cable).

Anyways, I have nothing against the AVAGO 3090 (in fact, I have plenty of AVAGO 3090 mice here, including a CM Storm Spawn, Recon, Ozone Radon Opto, Roccat SAVU, Corsair M40), but it really can be a bother if you try to use your gaming mouse on a portable device such as a gaming laptop (such as my CLEVO P150EM), since it doesn't tracks on a LOT of surfaces, especially lighter surfaces.

And by the way, is CM Europe creating their own keyboards/mice now or is it still going to sell the equipment made by the american team (Carter)?

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

23 Jan 2014, 08:38

wetto wrote:What the CM Storm Xornet/Spawn needs is some better side buttons. Make them a lil bit larger, make them stick out a bit more. Stick to the TTC switches, no one complains about those, the problem is just the plastic structure.

Besides that, please, keep the internals similar on the new model, keep that lovely ALPS scroll (although if I'm not mistaken the Xornet uses a TTC scroll, which is also good), maybe replace the switches with the OMRON 10M or 20M (only if necessary) and maybe get a better cable (not that I'm compaining, but I've seen plenty of people not buying it just because it was not a nylon braided cable).

Anyways, I have nothing against the AVAGO 3090 (in fact, I have plenty of AVAGO 3090 mice here, including a CM Storm Spawn, Recon, Ozone Radon Opto, Roccat SAVU, Corsair M40), but it really can be a bother if you try to use your gaming mouse on a portable device such as a gaming laptop (such as my CLEVO P150EM), since it doesn't tracks on a LOT of surfaces, especially lighter surfaces.

And by the way, is CM Europe creating their own keyboards/mice now or is it still going to sell the equipment made by the american team (Carter)?
Hey again.. Thanks for the feedback regarding the Xornet. Thanks! How about a P3307 sensor for the V2 Xornet? But it is not so much an American Team vs an European team... We are all the same company but this Xornet mouse is for me (EU) a very important project :) But then again, it is also for US market... and the rest of the world...

wetto

23 Jan 2014, 09:01

CM Bram wrote:
wetto wrote:What the CM Storm Xornet/Spawn needs is some better side buttons. Make them a lil bit larger, make them stick out a bit more. Stick to the TTC switches, no one complains about those, the problem is just the plastic structure.

Hey again.. Thanks for the feedback regarding the Xornet. Thanks! How about a P3307 sensor for the V2 Xornet? But it is not so much an American Team vs an European team... We are all the same company but this Xornet mouse is for me (EU) a very important project :) But then again, it is also for US market... and the rest of the world...
You actually lost me there, I haven't tested any mice with 3307 (nor 3310 yet), but if it doesn't has any problem tracking on surfaces such as light wood, no acceleration and no jittering, by all means, go ahead :D

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

27 Jan 2014, 08:42

wetto wrote: You actually lost me there, I haven't tested any mice with 3307 (nor 3310 yet), but if it doesn't has any problem tracking on surfaces such as light wood, no acceleration and no jittering, by all means, go ahead :D
Hey there! Haha this will maybe then be the first 3307 mouse :P? Its just a thought for this mouse, no final specs and offcourse we will make sure the tracking and all other features are as they should! Thanks for the feedback :)!

wetto

30 Jan 2014, 16:54

CM Bram wrote:
wetto wrote: You actually lost me there, I haven't tested any mice with 3307 (nor 3310 yet), but if it doesn't has any problem tracking on surfaces such as light wood, no acceleration and no jittering, by all means, go ahead :D
Hey there! Haha this will maybe then be the first 3307 mouse :P? Its just a thought for this mouse, no final specs and offcourse we will make sure the tracking and all other features are as they should! Thanks for the feedback :)!
I just updated my CM Storm Spawn to the newest firmware. The LOD is just impressive, it's really, really damn great.

Also, I tested some new stuff here at our "Brazilian CES" which is called "Campus Party Brazil":

The tracking on the CM Storm Alcor is just lovely 8-)

Both mice are really great, loved the weight, their feel and especially the fact that the Alcor won't cost much and will still be an awesome mouse.

But PLEASE, work on that software. Don't release it as it is, the software is a mess, it's ugly, confusing and a major downgrade compared to the CM Storm Recon!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

31 Jan 2014, 15:58

Hi there... Thanks for the feedback! We do note all :) :)!!

And good to hear you like the new mice we have coming (soon :D)!

noobie94

18 Feb 2014, 20:13

I thing the Xornet is a pretty cool mouse. I got it 2 weeks ago.

One thing I don´t like that much is the lift of distance meaning when you want to reposition your mouse on the mousepad, the cursor will be shaky.

I hope you will have plans in the future to make similar mouse as the CM Spawn/Xornet.

def

08 Apr 2014, 01:41

I bought my Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Gaming Mouse on 12/02/2013. It has been fantastic for what it is. But recently, it has been disconnecting and reconnecting randomly and often all the time, and has me extremely annoyed.

I've checked my USB drivers and made sure they are up-to-date, tried different ports and tried the good old whack-it technique (in case there is some mouse scum inside the interior workings of the mouse somewhere). All to no avail.

So, I guess I'm pretty happy that it has lasted around 1 year and 1 month, but just a little disappointed to have to part ways so soon. Whilst writing this post it has disconnected around 10-20 times, if that helps put into perspective just how annoying, random, and frequent it is.

These are the reasons I love this mouse:

* It's not a huge investment. It appears as a reasonable quality build that will accommodate a gamer's needs without having to spend too much money and be disappointed in the above issue after only a year's use.

* It's light-weight and relatively small. Clunky, heavy mice are a big no-no for me. I like to be able to throw that thing between my fingers. I fell in love with the MS laptop mouse back in the day, and had it for over 5-10 years. That mouse lasted an awfully long time, it was very small, corded, optical, and light. For me, that was all I needed to be kicking ass.Image

* It had some extra buttons - 2 to be precise (discounting the DPI buttons which I actually thought would be 4 programmable buttons and was a little disappointed to find they weren't - who alters their DPI anyway? Come on). These two buttons are a minimum and now something I wouldn't do without in my next mouse.

* It looks aesthetically pleasing and isn't over-the-top. This talk of having extra LEDs and all that b*s is unnecessary. Get real. At the end of the day, most people surely want a good, affordable mouse. There's no need to go over-the-top in cosmetics. A simple black-matte finish with minimal branding is actually pretty respectably awesome.

Complaints of this mouse:

* Only lasted 1 year 1 month. That's not good enough.
* Made in China. Not bad, but, I wonder how much the price would change +/- a few pounds in a more respectable nation for electronic build quality and... well... quality of all their exports. It may sound racist but the mainland Chinese are well-known to cut corners, show excellent quality in the build when they are trying to get your contract, and then slowly reduce that quality and cut corners when you start receiving shipments.

* Can't find any service manual or see any way to open the mouse. If I could do that, (or if you could point me or tell me how to) I could then give this thing a thorough servicing and try to rule-out what actually has gone wrong with it.

* Variable DPI: this is a nice little feature but I wonder if you have ever made a poll to ask the users if they make use of this feature on a regular basis. I know for sure that I almost NEVER change my DPI. When I do change it, it is usually unintentional. Maybe you can make a saving on cost by removing this feature or making those buttons programmable instead.

* Sideways optics? It's kind of cool, but unless it's like that for internal space reasons, lifting the mouse up usually ends up lasering myself in the eye... :| forwards is better..

Apart from all this the design is sexy, and the price range was excellent. All this speak about upgrading the optics - I honestly can't see how it makes these mice any better. It's totally functional and fine the way it is. If the upgrade makes it last longer, then I'd say go for it.

If anyone does know how to open this thing up to clean it properly, please let me know. Good luck with refreshing this mouse, it was a good one.

davkol

08 Apr 2014, 10:42

Just remove the feet and some screws ought to be there. I opened mine about a year ago, because it came with the cable disconnected inside. Your issue might be similar to mine BTW.

kishagi

20 Apr 2014, 19:16

The Xornet was my first "gaming" mouse and I thank CM's staff for creating one and still probably the best shaped mouse that ive ever experienced. That being said, I dont believe that there can be a "refresh" with an upgrade without raising the price noticibly. In my personal opinion is to create a mouse at a higher end tier than the Spawn. That should justify the price for all the included "new" features added to it.

If possible, I would increase the number of DPI steps: 500, 800, 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 2000? Something like that.
It seems people have a bit of complaint about the side buttons, so a more "solid" switch should work nicely, and maybe add or sell replacement mouse feet, just in case?

Imho, an entry level mouse should cost between $20 - $40 CDN, High end mice maxing out at $90 - $100

For a higher end mouse in the series i would suggest:

- Popular but highly effective optical sensor (i dont know much about sensors)
- Side ways scrolling
- Smaller variable DPI up to ~ 4000
- Matte coating
- Stronger quality plastic
- Keep rubberized grips
- No LED, unless its for a small DPI indicator
- add ~ 2g to weight
- Onboard memory for custom button mappings
- Something like Roccat's Easy Shift+ technology for more controlls that can be done solely by the mouse
- Braided cable, maybe

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

24 Apr 2014, 13:40

kishagi wrote: - Popular but highly effective optical sensor (i dont know much about sensors)
- Side ways scrolling
- Smaller variable DPI up to ~ 4000
- Matte coating
- Stronger quality plastic
- Keep rubberized grips
- No LED, unless its for a small DPI indicator
- add ~ 2g to weight
- Onboard memory for custom button mappings
- Something like Roccat's Easy Shift+ technology for more controlls that can be done solely by the mouse
- Braided cable, maybe
Thank you, very valuable feedback :) :)!! This would more be a Spawn Refresh indeed....

davkol

03 May 2014, 21:06

I've got my hands on another slightly used xornet and noticed that the front cpi-switcher button is wiggly. I wouldn't care, if wheel's frame wasn't a part of the button, resulting in an annoyingly cheap feeling.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

05 May 2014, 09:59

davkol wrote:I've got my hands on another slightly used xornet and noticed that the front cpi-switcher button is wiggly. I wouldn't care, if wheel's frame wasn't a part of the button, resulting in an annoyingly cheap feeling.
Good feedback! But the omron switches on the main left and right button are OK I assume right?

Return to “Mice & other input devices”