Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

plasticchair

16 Feb 2014, 17:16

Nice shot, Dubs! Getting some Nixdorf keys myself very soon :)

Here's a shot of the engraving on one of my APL sets. Interestingly, it's the only key that's fully engraved instead of ds+engraving.

snoopy

16 Feb 2014, 18:20

IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG (676.64 KiB) Viewed 6566 times

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Feb 2014, 03:02

My new G80-5000HAMPO. This board is amazing. A real work of art - both inside and outside.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

21 Feb 2014, 15:24

So true. Wish mine weren't so yellowish. Still need to replace the MX Brown by MX Blacks.

Especially enjoying the "Macro Keys" on the left with autohotkey.

photekq
Cherry Picker

21 Feb 2014, 16:10

t!ng wrote:So true. Wish mine weren't so yellowish. Still need to replace the MX Brown by MX Blacks.

Especially enjoying the "Macro Keys" on the left with autohotkey.
I actually really like these browns. They feel a lot different from the ones I had on my old filco.

pexon

22 Feb 2014, 01:10

Wonderful board, photekq. What makes you say they are different? Smoother?

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Feb 2014, 02:36

pexon wrote:Wonderful board, photekq. What makes you say they are different? Smoother?
The bump really isn't noticable unless you press them down very, very slowly. It's even less noticable than regular browns. They feel almost identical to linears.. Just a tad bit different. I'm not sure if they're my favourite switch, but they're definitely up there.

This board is really amazing, hands down the best keyboard I've used to date. I'm still astonished by the amount of thought that must have gone into designing this. Not just on the outside, but on the inside too. The way it's assembled is really something (I'll post pictures of disassembly+internals on the wiki soon). Some real engineering went into making this. The same can't be said for almost all other mechanical keyboards made today.

pexon

22 Feb 2014, 13:28

photekq wrote:
pexon wrote:Wonderful board, photekq. What makes you say they are different? Smoother?
The bump really isn't noticable unless you press them down very, very slowly. It's even less noticable than regular browns. They feel almost identical to linears.. Just a tad bit different. I'm not sure if they're my favourite switch, but they're definitely up there.

This board is really amazing, hands down the best keyboard I've used to date. I'm still astonished by the amount of thought that must have gone into designing this. Not just on the outside, but on the inside too. The way it's assembled is really something (I'll post pictures of disassembly+internals on the wiki soon). Some real engineering went into making this. The same can't be said for almost all other mechanical keyboards made today.
Interesting, browns are not my favourite switch, in fact there are right down the bottom of my list. Look forward to more photos!

tinnie

22 Feb 2014, 15:46

rindorbrot

22 Feb 2014, 15:55

huh, tinnie uses ISO DE?
But cool board, is it a GH60?

Muirium
µ

22 Feb 2014, 15:58

I like that 60% + Wingnut look.
But QWERTZ?

tinnie

22 Feb 2014, 16:02

qwertz gives me better wpm. :P

BimboBB

23 Feb 2014, 19:01

dustinhxc

24 Feb 2014, 07:25

Medowy

24 Feb 2014, 09:58

Oh I wish I had a decent camera. :(

Compgeke

24 Feb 2014, 10:34

No one ever said you need a decent camera. I'll try and take some pictures this week with my $3 Canon Powershot A620 this week. It's a pretty not-great camera for modern times, ISO400 looks like shit and it's "only" 7.1 MP (hey, my DSLR is 6.1!).

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2014, 11:28

My DSLR (a 2005 Canon 350D) is only ISO 400 in practice, too. But it's still lightyears ahead of my first digital camera: a 2002 Olympus. Mainly because of manual controls and interchangeable lenses, of course. Plenty of my pictures have shown up around here with that old gear. Indeed, I've made successful site headers with my iPad…

The key is patience, and pay attention to the light. Photography is really just lighting and attention. Gear envy is natural, but largely irrelevant. You'll learn a lot more by trying!

Daniel

24 Feb 2014, 19:59

Medowy wrote:Oh I wish I had a decent camera. :(
You probably already own one :P
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/553341 ... ersus-film

snoopy

28 Feb 2014, 17:17

Muirium
µ

28 Feb 2014, 17:26

That's the stuff. Point towards the light, to get a nice highlight off the keys and good texture. Plus a nice diffuse shadow in the foreground.

Not sure what to make of that Return key, though. Looks like it's a bit sunk, hanging down at an angle? Maybe just a profile I'm not used to.

snoopy

28 Feb 2014, 18:55

I think that's normal for iso enter. But you see it only at some angles.

Here's another one. I like the surface structure of those cherry boards

Dubsgalore

28 Feb 2014, 22:02

I'm going to be upgrading all my photography equip soon! :D
tinnie wrote:Image

very nice Tinnie

IvanIvanovich

01 Mar 2014, 00:00

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Mar 2014, 22:57

The brother of Snoopy's SUN case and an NCR G81-3007

Compgeke

02 Mar 2014, 20:20

Compgeke wrote:No one ever said you need a decent camera. I'll try and take some pictures this week with my $3 Canon Powershot A620 this week. It's a pretty not-great camera for modern times, ISO400 looks like shit and it's "only" 7.1 MP (hey, my DSLR is 6.3!).
Alright, got a chance to take a quick shot real quick with the A620. I didn't use auto mode but that's irrelevant in my opinion.

Taken at ISO200, f/5.6, 1/60s, no flash. Edited in Photoshop to fix the brightness afterwards and to crop.

Medowy

03 Mar 2014, 12:14

Compgeke wrote:
Compgeke wrote:No one ever said you need a decent camera. I'll try and take some pictures this week with my $3 Canon Powershot A620 this week. It's a pretty not-great camera for modern times, ISO400 looks like shit and it's "only" 7.1 MP (hey, my DSLR is 6.3!).
Alright, got a chance to take a quick shot real quick with the A620. I didn't use auto mode but that's irrelevant in my opinion.

Taken at ISO200, f/5.6, 1/60s, no flash. Edited in Photoshop to fix the brightness afterwards and to crop.

Well atleast you own a camera :) I only have my iPhone 5. I guess you can take "decent" shots with that :D

Nice picture by the way! ;)

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2014, 12:21

You can take great pictures with anything, trust me, I've been shamed many times!

The best tool in your box is just your imagination. Then light. That helps…

guilleguillaume

04 Mar 2014, 13:01

IvanIvanovich wrote:great picture
Which PCB is inside that Peacock case? I love that layout :shock:

IvanIvanovich

04 Mar 2014, 15:25

It was originally a G80-3600LYCJA one of the few Cherry JIS keyboard, swapped black case for the Peacock one and changed keycap to imsto PBT dyesub US/UA set with GMK doubleshot modifier and cursor.

robo

06 Mar 2014, 19:13

IvanIvanovich wrote:Image
What keyboard is this? It looks really nice.

Return to “Gallery”