Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Mar 2014, 19:16

robo

07 Mar 2014, 21:26

robo wrote:
IvanIvanovich wrote:Image
What keyboard is this? It looks really nice.
Ah, after some digging I guess it's an older Cherry. Probably easily recognizable to experienced keyboard people ;)

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2014, 01:06

Plenty of people here do seem to know all about them, but I can't figure Cherries out. That's a winkeyless board with 1.5 unit mods (duh) which doesn't exactly narrow it down. And that's all I know. The space bar looks a little jaunty though, against those modern mods. And maybe there's a giveaway in the shape of case?

Bet you someone can pin it down, though.

robo

08 Mar 2014, 01:41

An early G80-3000?

I like the clean lines of it, at least from that angle. Nice austere look, but with a bit of color.

photekq
Cherry Picker

16 Mar 2014, 03:50

I finally got a PCB for my NCR G81-3007. I took a few shots.. The case has been retrobrited. It was pretty yellow when I got it.

More here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/115722906@ ... 180223245/

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

16 Mar 2014, 21:49

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:The AtariAge forum has at least two problems: ... b) they don't contain any proof whatosever about the Stackpole and Hi-Tek keyboards!
Sorry for the delay. Note sure how to update the wiki http://deskthority.net/wiki/Atari_800 for this:
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole switch grid
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole switch grid
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole_switch_grid.jpg (572.26 KiB) Viewed 11762 times
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole switch top closeup
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole switch top closeup
Atari 800 NTSC Stackpole_switch_top_closeup.jpg (474.34 KiB) Viewed 11762 times
Atari 800 NTSC 3key
Atari 800 NTSC 3key
Atari 800 NTSC 3key.jpg (511.01 KiB) Viewed 11762 times
Atari 800 NTSC label
Atari 800 NTSC label
Atari 800 NTSC label.jpg (657.35 KiB) Viewed 11762 times
Atari 800 NTSC assembled
Atari 800 NTSC assembled
Atari 800 NTSC assembled.jpg (520.3 KiB) Viewed 11762 times

dustinhxc

22 Mar 2014, 20:02

dustinhxc

04 Apr 2014, 23:28

Muirium
µ

04 Apr 2014, 23:35

Smart 60% you got there. Fn key right of right shift, where it should be. That layout works so well.

scottc

05 Apr 2014, 00:04

Out of interest, what's that 60% board you have there, dustinhxc? A custom?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

05 Apr 2014, 00:13

Looks like a KBT Pure with the limited edition alu case, but judging from the placement of the bottom right modifiers, it might be different, the layout is the same though.

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Apr 2014, 00:17

Game Theory wrote:Sorry for the delay. Note sure how to update the wiki http://deskthority.net/wiki/Atari_800 for this:
Send me a private message if you have specific questions — otherwise, I don't know where to begin with that.

The switch grid needs a clean with a soft brush! It's a bit hairy. (It's not one of the places where I consider hair to be desirable.)

Also, how do you know that it's Stackpole? I presume it's got Stackpole written on the PCB? There are Stackpole and Hi-Tek Atari 800 keyboards, so a photo of the PCB would be good proof of Stackpole. I don't know how people recognise the Hi-Tek version, as I've yet to see a photo of one. (I grant you, it fits my model, but you may just be using my model to work out which it is, and that's too circular for my tastes when it comes to providing the wiki with primary data.)

scottc

05 Apr 2014, 00:24

Broadmonkey wrote:Looks like a KBT Pure with the limited edition alu case, but judging from the placement of the bottom right modifiers, it might be different, the layout is the same though.
Thanks! I think I was thrown off by the Cherry key by assuming it was fn. With the Pure, I always think "wow, what a great layout" until I remember what the factory default keymap is.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

05 Apr 2014, 00:32

Indeed, and the keymap is even worse when you have to use it with an international layout, which regularly makes use of Alt Gr. I can't wait to get my GH60 PCBs!

photekq
Cherry Picker

05 Apr 2014, 02:33

So, I finally got an NCR G81-3077 case! Without a doubt my favourite G80 case. It's currently got a 3000SFD PCB inside and UK ISO dyesubs.. Not the best picture, and these won't be the PCB/keycaps that'll be with it in the end. I'm hoping to get an ANSI G80 PCB and some nice ANSI dyesubs :mrgreen:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Apr 2014, 02:48

Yeah they are such nice cases! Here is a cringe story:

Back in 2009 there were about 20+ or so G81-3077SAFs on eBay.de at 15 Euros a pop. No one really appreciated the value of dyesubs back then and the auction was running for several weeks with almost no buyers, despite being posted on geekhack. The worst part is that most people who got the board threw out the case and only kept the keycaps around. I know that I personally threw out at least two of them too. Sad times. I even used one of the keycap sets for ritdye experiments, since i did not value AZERTY layout much.

This was at the same time when a certain OTD member also managed to pop 20+ G80-3000HAVs from a certain German warehouse at 60 Euros a piece.

Good old times...

Afterthought: I still have that guys email. I wonder if there are still some more treasures left rotting away in that warehouse.

photekq
Cherry Picker

05 Apr 2014, 03:00

sixty wrote:Back in 2009 there were about 20+ or so G81-3077SAFs on eBay.de at 15 Euros a pop. No one really appreciated the value of dyesubs back then and the auction was running for several weeks with almost no buyers, despite being posted on geekhack. The worst part is that most people who got the board threw out the case and only kept the keycaps around. I know that I personally threw out at least two of them too. Sad times. I even used one of the keycap sets for ritdye experiments, since i did not value AZERTY layout much.
I think I'll be having nightmares tonight.. :lol:
sixty wrote:This was at the same time when a certain OTD member also managed to pop 20+ G80-3000HAVs from a certain German warehouse at 60 Euros a piece.
So that's where all the Korean HAVs came from. Such nice boards & keycaps.
sixty wrote:I still have that guys email.
:evilgeek:

That photo really doesn't do the 3077 justice, since the lighting was just my monitor :lol: The colour is beautiful in person. I'll take nicer shots when it's complete (when I can find those damn elusive ANSI dyesubs). I really like the colour of my 3007 too.. A very light grey colour. Goes great with original Cherry caps :

mr_a500

05 Apr 2014, 03:35

I forgot to put my SGI AEK hybrid here:
SGIAEK.JPG

Muirium
µ

05 Apr 2014, 11:15

I like the duo shade mods. But you need to do something about that spacebar…

Now that PBT space bars are showing up, we really need to GB for some classics like the AEK and SGI. And all those Model M's…

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

05 Apr 2014, 12:59

...that sounds really, really expensive!

Muirium
µ

05 Apr 2014, 13:03

Alas.

Yellow spacebars really date an otherwise pearly PBT keyboard.

tinnie

05 Apr 2014, 13:26

robo wrote:An early G80-3000?

I like the clean lines of it, at least from that angle. Nice austere look, but with a bit of color.
The "multi-language" caps are from a meto board. :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Apr 2014, 15:12

sixty wrote:[…] Back in 2009 there were about 20+ or so G81-3077SAFs on eBay.de at 15 Euros a pop. No one really appreciated the value of dyesubs back then and the auction was running for several weeks with almost no buyers, despite being posted on geekhack. The worst part is that most people who got the board threw out the case and only kept the keycaps around. I know that I personally threw out at least two of them too. Sad times. I even used one of the keycap sets for ritdye experiments, since i did not value AZERTY layout much.[…]
I have a G81-3077 SAF, but bought much later (and in France).
I especially like the fact that the caps are a bit darker than the usual Cherry beige, together with the dye-sub print and the dark case they look amazing (a shame I seem not to be able to make decent photos).

Dubsgalore

05 Apr 2014, 22:51

sixty wrote:Yeah they are such nice cases! Here is a cringe story:
This was at the same time when a certain OTD member also managed to pop 20+ G80-3000HAVs from a certain German warehouse at 60 Euros a piece.

Good old times...
:cry:
sixty wrote: Afterthought: I still have that guys email. I wonder if there are still some more treasures left rotting away in that warehouse.
one can dream..

Muirium
µ

06 Apr 2014, 03:10

Aaaargh! The day star! It burns!

Nice for hard shadows, though. This is my 122 key terminal Model M, from 1990.

Dubsgalore

06 Apr 2014, 03:12

:)

Muirium
µ

06 Apr 2014, 03:19

Whoops. I brought a knife to a gun fight!

Dubsgalore

06 Apr 2014, 03:29

Muirium wrote:Whoops. I brought a knife to a gun fight!
also shot in morning sunlight :P, the shadows...

mr_a500

06 Apr 2014, 05:56

How about an absurdly dark photo of my somewhat sinister TI-99 setup:
TI-99.JPG
Oh the technology...

dustinhxc

11 Apr 2014, 12:16

Muirium wrote:Smart 60% you got there. Fn key right of right shift, where it should be. That layout works so well.
He is correct, KBT Pure Limited with Aluminum case! Auto Hot Key is your best friend guys! :) :mrgreen:

Return to “Gallery”