Guess The Project

Mrinterface

26 Aug 2013, 21:00

Try push/pulling a hole in a pyramid. You will end up with a mess on the other side because of the different face angle.... Can't seem to find a solution for this....

tlt

26 Aug 2013, 21:12

Like this?
pyramid.jpg
pyramid.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

Mrinterface

26 Aug 2013, 21:30

tlt wrote:Like this?
pyramid.jpg
No.... Make a hole from one of the sides.... :-)

Mrinterface

26 Aug 2013, 22:01

tlt wrote: Edit: that does not actually work. But I made a cylinder and put it where I wanted the hole and than right clicked the surface and chose the "intersect with model" option this gets me edges on the right paces so that I can remove the necessary surfaces.
Yes, that's how I finally ended up trying it. But somehow I could not get it done properly, it just did not intersect properly. Plus I got un-closed faces due to non-orthogonal edges.

Muirium
µ

26 Aug 2013, 22:04

Compared to all the CAD and 3D software I've tried lately, even Photoshop feels like a work of art. Never thought I'd say that!

tlt

27 Aug 2013, 00:12

Yeah, it's easier to make a simple example than to fix a complicated model. When it starts to go sideways I often start from scratch for a par or the whole thing. That's often faster when you have figured out a good solution.

Something like this?
pyramid2.jpg
pyramid2.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
redraw edges and split the un-closed surface might work.

damorgue

27 Aug 2013, 03:26

Muirium wrote:Compared to all the CAD and 3D software I've tried lately, even Photoshop feels like a work of art. Never thought I'd say that!
Which have you tried? I know several which I find easy to use and quite powerful.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 10:52

I'm sure they're powerful, it's the easy to use part I'm struggling with. Specifically to open and take measurements from Matt3o's DWG files:
I am banging my head against the wall with the available software! The only app I have found so far on Windows 7 to open these DWG files is DraftSight, which is pretty ugly. Inkscape and SketchUp both refuse the unzipped HHFox and HHFox Stepped DWGs for no sensible reason. I am horrible at using Windows anyway, so I have no idea what is wrong.
DraftSight has serious usability issues for me. Every time I pan around, the view is "dirtied" (I have to change zoom to force a refresh, otherwise its unreadably fuzz-tastic) and I can't even figure out how to use the various measure tools. I'm failing at the simplest thing: measuring straight forward rectilinear dimensions!

kps

27 Aug 2013, 16:05

Muirium wrote:DraftSight has serious usability issues for me. Every time I pan around, the view is "dirtied" (I have to change zoom to force a refresh, otherwise its unreadably fuzz-tastic) and I can't even figure out how to use the various measure tools. I'm failing at the simplest thing: measuring straight forward rectilinear dimensions!
CAD programs generally have user interfaces that predate current conventions. Think:
gvhxnznb.jpg
gvhxnznb.jpg (95.29 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
For measuring (as opposed to adding) dimensions use Tools → Inquiry → Get Distance (or type getdistance) and select the two points, probably with -Snap -Grid +Ortho -Polar +ESnap +ETrack.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 16:32

Thanks. I'll try that.

Man, I am envious of that guy's rig, his office and his waistcoat! Back when you could pull it off, along with the Lucas hairdo.

mr_a500

27 Aug 2013, 16:56

I can't say I envy that guy's waistcoat or hairdo, but I've always liked huge multi-screen terminals:

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2013, 17:33

You know the story's getting real when people gather around a big ass terminal. It's like when someone lays out a map and starts circling targets, or a general starts his PowerPoint. Usually it's all downhill from there…

mr_a500

27 Aug 2013, 17:44

I've experienced this kind of thing many times and I think the expression on the black woman's face says it all. When you get a bunch of executives gathered around your terminal, you know you're basically screwed - having to explain complex concepts to absolute morons who don't understand but pretend that they do. You know their opinions will be ignorant and useless, but you still have to humour them because they can get you fired.

Mrinterface

29 Aug 2013, 16:34

Going full circle back to Freecad now. Absolutely love the possibility to constrain your designs.

What does constrain mean? You can set the length or angle of an edge to be a specific value, it will then never change whatever you do to the design.

damorgue

30 Aug 2013, 06:44

Mrinterface wrote:Going full circle back to Freecad now. Absolutely love the possibility to constrain your designs.

What does constrain mean? You can set the length or angle of an edge to be a specific value, it will then never change whatever you do to the design.
Most softwares call that "Lock" dimension btw. Constraints are technically something completely different.

Mrinterface

27 Oct 2013, 10:15

Update :

I asked someone else to design the adapters ( by trading time/use on my 3D printer :-) ). The designer already has the Model M part finished.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2013, 11:05

Very interested to see how these turn out. I wonder what height the caps will ride at, and how well they will behave beside a standard MX space bar.

Mrinterface

01 Dec 2013, 16:35

Found DesignSpark Mechanical.... Excellent for my 3D modelling requirements!

damorgue

01 Dec 2013, 22:21

scottc

10 Apr 2014, 15:27

<necro-bump>

Was there ever any advance on these converters?

Mrinterface

10 Apr 2014, 22:09

scottc wrote:<necro-bump>

Was there ever any advance on these converters?
None.....

Are there any volunteers to step in and finish the designs?

Return to “Off-topic”